Jeffrey Gundlach: The Bond Fund Rock Star

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:03 pm

Anyone here have any strong opinions regarding Jeffrey Gundlach one way or the other?

VInny

DoubleLine’s Jeffrey Gundlach is the fixed-income guru you’ve probably never heard of. But you should listen to what he says.

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/inves ... -star.html
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Jeffrey Gundlach: The Bond Fund Rock Star

Post by boglerdude » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:17 am

Hes called 6% on the ten year a few times.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/20/doublel ... igher.html

1)get your face on the news
2)attract AUM
3)start a bunch of funds and parade the ones that do well
4)shave millions from transactions
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:11 pm

Yes
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:33 am

jeff dunlach has had an awful track record calling bond rates ... he got things as wrong as bill gross .

dunlach called for 4% before we saw 2% when rthe fed was raising rates .

he also called for oil to be the best investment last year .

he needs a new crystal ball

Jeffrey Gundlach
Gundlach’s interest rate analysis is often sagacious, but his market forecasts could not have been more inaccurate in 2019. Gundlach made calls at the end of 2018 and doubled down in 2019 that we were in the midst of a bear market. He reiterated his assessment in March that “the stock market was and still is in a bear market” and could have negative returns in 2019. He used rationale such as Bitcoin’s decline being an irrational canary in the coal mine that presented the same mania-like characteristics that precipitated other recessions. Gundlach said his best idea for 2019 was “capital preservation” and in June 2019, he was still sounding a “run for cover” tone by saying there is a high chance of recession and to go long gold.

https://www.finomgroup.com/gundlach-sco ... ong-again/
johnnywitt

Post by johnnywitt » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:21 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:33 am
jeff dunlach has had an awful track record calling bond rates ... he got things as wrong as bill gross .

dunlach called for 4% before we saw 2% when rthe fed was raising rates .

he also called for oil to be the best investment last year .

he needs a new crystal ball

Jeffrey Gundlach
Gundlach’s interest rate analysis is often sagacious, but his market forecasts could not have been more inaccurate in 2019. Gundlach made calls at the end of 2018 and doubled down in 2019 that we were in the midst of a bear market. He reiterated his assessment in March that “the stock market was and still is in a bear market” and could have negative returns in 2019. He used rationale such as Bitcoin’s decline being an irrational canary in the coal mine that presented the same mania-like characteristics that precipitated other recessions. Gundlach said his best idea for 2019 was “capital preservation” and in June 2019, he was still sounding a “run for cover” tone by saying there is a high chance of recession and to go long gold.

https://www.finomgroup.com/gundlach-sco ... ong-again/
This Guy said about 6 months ago to get out of Long Treasuries as well. Like any Soothsayer, if he's right they parade him around and if he's wrong there's nothing said, or it's all something else's fault.

HB PP, or Tyler's Portfolio is the answer IMHO and forget these "intellectuals, yet idiots" as N. Taleb calls them.