Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

When Work Doesn't Pay For The Middle Class

Post by vnatale »

When Work Doesn't Pay For The Middle Class

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/2009/1005 ... 6357e26ca9

We are all familiar with the dilemma of the those on the lower income end. And, trying to set proper policy. How when they do work, they get a lot of their benefits taken away so that they are not that economically much better off by having a job.

The above article does an excellent job pointing out a similar dilemma for some in the middle class.

Have more income and the following can result:

1) Higher tax bracket
2) Lose tax credits due to exceeding Adjusted Gross Income limits
3) Lose college financial aid
4) Have increased child care expenses

I, myself, was facing something similar next year (2021). I could no longer NOT collect Social Security. Plus, prior to the passage of the SECURE Act, I was going to have to start taking the Required Minimum Distributions. The combination of the two of them was going to be a fair amount of increased taxable income to me.

It made me question whether or not I wanted to continue working in 2021. Doing so would cause more of my Social Security income to be taxed. Therefore, I looked at that as really being an additional tax on my income from working.

Now, for me, there may no longer be an issue.

As mentioned above, The Secure Act moved the Requirement Minimum Distribution age from 70 1/2 to 72. That gives me two more years before they start (2023).

And, in mid-May I decided that the balance on my job (good versus bad) was tiling bad so I decided to leave it.
I stopped being an employee the first week of July and transitioned to a consultant, a role which I will have until at least the end of next month.

I am NOT retiring. Just taking a break from work. For far too many years I've worked way too many hours for income I did not need. Just being super conscientious to various organizations / individuals who were dependent upon me.

I will definitely not be taking on any kind of regular work with all the deadlines that come with them. At this point I have no plans on looking for any more work. But if the right thing comes along that fits into my new lifestyle I would strongly consider it.

Right now my main priority is dealing with things in my personal life that have been neglected for decades due to working too many hours.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: When Work Doesn't Pay For The Middle Class

Post by Mark Leavy »

vnatale wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:18 pm ...

And, in mid-May I decided that the balance on my job (good versus bad) was tiling bad so I decided to leave it.
I stopped being an employee the first week of July and transitioned to a consultant, a role which I will have until at least the end of next month.

I am NOT retiring. Just taking a break from work. For far too many years I've worked way too many hours for income I did not need. Just being super conscientious to various organizations / individuals who were dependent upon me.

I will definitely not be taking on any kind of regular work with all the deadlines that come with them. At this point I have no plans on looking for any more work. But if the right thing comes along that fits into my new lifestyle I would strongly consider it.

Right now my main priority is dealing with things in my personal life that have been neglected for decades due to working too many hours.

Vinny
A huge congratulations, Vinny.
Best of luck on the new journey.

Mark
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:31 pm Yes, congrats. If you have the option to work part-time, I highly recommend it. Still keeps you engaged with lots of free time to do what you want.
That was one of the reasons why I held on to the job for so long even when I did not need the income. To accomplish and remain challenged. But I really don't want to stay on much with this job much beyond when my time as a consultant ends.

I am still the financial consultant for another business (since 2009) but they virus has hit their business hard. So, we'll see how much I continue to work for them.

I have no problems keeping myself occupied and mentally engaged.

Oh, the last part of working was that my real only social outlets are playing softball and basketball. And, once I was finally going to have to stop doing them I wondered how I'd deal with total lack of social contact if I was not working. But this virus social isolation since mid-March has not been an issue for me at all.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

Indeed, best wishes for the next phase!
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Best wishes Vinny. You seem like a person whose well-being is not dependent on validation by other people - jolly good show on that, you are blessed!

I've been "working without pay" (or should I say living on the results of my efforts of years past? ;) ) for quite a while and have enjoyed almost every minute of it. Enjoy your new normal. 8)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
geaux saints

Post by geaux saints »

Congratulations, Vinny! If anyone deserves a break, it's you.