What will happen to the PP if gold can be made in a lab?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

jason
Executive Member
Executive Member

What will happen to the PP if gold can be made in a lab?

Post by jason » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:13 pm

Gold has been created in a lab by scientists, but it's apparently currently extremely expensive to make.
Here is an article about it from 2014: https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... into-gold/
Has anyone else wondered what would happen to the PP if someone figures out a cost effective/cheap way to create gold in a lab. If that did happen, and the price of gold plummeted, I would assume gold would no longer be a good fit for the PP. So what would we replace it with? Silver? And what if they can make cheap silver and other precious metals in a lab? What would we replace them with in the PP? Farmland?
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: What will happen to the PP if gold can be made in a lab?

Post by Dieter » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:52 pm

Or a cost effective way to mine the asteroid belt.

Then depends on the demand.

And probably would behave differently.

At some point down the line.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:42 pm

Wouldn't that make it even more like what we think of as "money" nowadays?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:42 pm

jason wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:13 pm
Gold has been created in a lab by scientists, but it's apparently currently extremely expensive to make.
Here is an article about it from 2014: https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... into-gold/
Has anyone else wondered what would happen to the PP if someone figures out a cost effective/cheap way to create gold in a lab. If that did happen, and the price of gold plummeted, I would assume gold would no longer be a good fit for the PP. So what would we replace it with? Silver? And what if they can make cheap silver and other precious metals in a lab? What would we replace them with in the PP? Farmland?
Of course you can transmute elements in the laboratory.
However, there is no likelihood that will be inexpensive any time in our lifetimes, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Even asteroid mining is a bigger threat, and it also isn't anything to worry about.
jason
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jason » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:27 pm

pp4me wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:42 pm
Wouldn't that make it even more like what we think of as "money" nowadays?
LOL. I guess we can keep the gold and dump cash since they will essentially be the same. ;D
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:31 pm

Indeed. I agree there's nothing to worry about regarding the creation of gold in a lab. It's not going to be economical anytime soon.

Even with asteroid mining the only way that would ever be economically feasible is if the price of gold was high enough to justify it. So the very act of asteroid mining might actually indicate a future favourable to gold bugs rather than one that is detrimental. It really depends on where the equilibrium point of the market happens to be during that scenario.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞