Move after retiring?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Move after retiring?

Post by vnatale »

I know that there is a good percentage of people who are here who are retired?

Did any of you move after you retired? If so, what were the factors / reasons?

I don't plan to do move. Just have too much in my present house that I've never want to part with -- it's just all part of the fabric of my personality. Plus, I even though I am a super extreme introvert I do have a lot of connections with people in the community in which I live.

Broadening this out to include those of you who are not retired the following article had these two paragraphs in it:

Looking To Retire? Check Out The Cornhusker State

https://www.fa-mag.com/news/looking-to- ... 50691.html

"Bankrate.com, a consumer finance site, looked at 11 public and private data sets dealing with retirement life and organized its survey of the states into five categories of different weightings, ranking them by their affordability (weighted at 40%), wellness (25%), weather (15%), culture (15%) and crime (5%).

Nebraska’s average annual temperature of 49 degrees left it in the cold in the weather category, but it placed in the top 15 in both affordability (where it ranked 14th) and wellness (where it ranked 8th). And it was in the top half among all states for culture (ranking 21st) and crime (19th). In toto, that was enough to land it on the top spot for retirement."

First of all, how would you weight the five categories above? Or, even add any if you'd like.

Second of you, how do you evaluate each for where you live?

Me?

Affordability - 30
Wellness - 15
Weather - 15
Culture - 20
Crime - 20

Affordability - since we are the poorest county in the state, it's highly affordable

Wellness - great place to be well

Weather - not that great. I'm basically only outside from April to October. From November to March I am inside. Prevents me from doing two things I like to do. Take pictures of outdoor activities I'm involved in. Sitting outside in the sun, reading while listening to music.

Culture - a lot cheap live music available. Plus, opportunities to play basketball and softball.

Crime - almost non-existent where I live.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Move after retiring?

Post by Mark Leavy »

vnatale wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:09 pm Did any of you move after you retired? If so, what were the factors / reasons?
Yes. Still moving.
My income is no longer tied to my location, so taking location off of the table gives me one more variable to exploit in my options matrix.

Also, I relocated my address (for tax purposes) about 3 years before pulling up stakes.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mark Leavy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:12 pm
vnatale wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:09 pm Did any of you move after you retired? If so, what were the factors / reasons?
Yes. Still moving.
My income is no longer tied to my location, so taking location off of the table gives me one more variable to exploit in my options matrix.

Also, I relocated my address (for tax purposes) about 3 years before pulling up stakes.
I'm gathering that among ways we are completely opposite is the amount of possessions we cling to. Me: A ton. You: few?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

vnatale wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:17 pm I'm gathering that among ways we are completely opposite is the amount of possessions we cling to. Me: A ton. You: few?
Everything I own fits under the seat in front of me. Except the (newly acquired) car and some knives.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

Mark Leavy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:20 pm
vnatale wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:17 pm I'm gathering that among ways we are completely opposite is the amount of possessions we cling to. Me: A ton. You: few?
Everything I own fits under the seat in front of me. Except the (newly acquired) car and some knives.
mark is an over achiever in the field of digital nomadisem O0

i would do something similar if i had the chance...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

l82start wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:48 pm
Mark Leavy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:20 pm
mark is an over achiever in the field of digital nomadisem O0

i would do something similar if i had the chance...
Digital has caused me to finally stop almost completely buying physical music. But while I have acquired tons of e-books I still am also continuing to acquire tons of paper version books as they are so cheap to buy used at Amazon.

Vinny
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

books are tough, i did a round of minimalism / de cluttering my life, and got rid of a ton of books, but there are just some books that i have to have a physical copy of.. either great literature, or hard to impossible to get digitally, and some just sentimental, i have had a book collection since i learned to read..

down to a few large plastic tubs full.. not to bad...

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Those kinds of surveys tend to place high marks on affordability.

In my experience, most retirees move for climate.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

The people are super nice in the midwest, they really are but I'm just not a big fan of the great plains. I need some mountains or ocean.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

My two cents:

We did not move after retiring. And, at this point, there is no where that appears to be the 'pot at the end of the rainbow' compared to where we are now. We like our home, our neighbors and neighborhood. Our doctors and dentists are great and we are established with them, and great hospital medical care is locally available if/when needed as well as abundant retirement communities/nursing homes if we become incapacitated. Our friends are here, our church family is here, we are familar with all the stores and transportation systems, and the climate is reasonable. Reported cost of living is on the higher side but for the types of items we purchase now is not much different than other places. Retiree tax burden is very reasonable (decent real estate/school taxes, no state sales tax and a bit of a break for seniors on state income tax). If we decided to move to be nearer to our children/grandchildren, they might likely move due to job opportunities; we visit them all via phone and FaceTime frequently. So, why move? We are ones for only moving TO something that is compellingly better, not escaping FROM something. We tend to be content with circumstances we have been given; we have found the grass is rarely greener on the other side of the fence. So far, there has not been anything compellingly better, thus, no urge to move.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

I Shrugged wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:54 am In my experience, most retirees move for climate.
Agree totally. My mother is in her 80's and cold winters hammer her health. Most people her age with money have gone to warmer climates.
Don't underestimate this......

ps: She is living with me now. Almost impossible to sell a house in her home town.
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

Already moved for climate once - from Ohio to Florida. My parents were retired and spending the winters in Florida so after the extreme winters of 77 and 78 we decided to join them and never looked back.

My wife inherited some land that sits on a beach on a small island in the Philippines and we plan to build a house there after she retires. She's only 54 and still wants to work but I think she's finally getting jealous of my lifestyle and is considering joining me, maybe as early as the end of next year. When we build the house we'll probably keep the one we're living in now until we decide which one we want to be my final resting place. I like everything about our house in Florida except for the fact that we live on a busy road and gets noisy when we sit on the porch. I think I'll prefer the sound of ocean waves.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

My parents retired/moved to a warm climate.
Personally i find the "full timer" mobile retirement lifestyle very attractive..

Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

I just landed in Perdido Key, FL this evening. An under estimated part of the country.

My uncle is RV'ing and looking for a place to permanently retire. I rendezvoused to catch up on family gossip.
He is thinking here or a bit farther west. Maybe Gulf Shores.

It doesn't look insane to me.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

ML,

So what exactly is your current MO? Sounds very interesting.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mark Leavy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:55 pm I just landed in Perdido Key, FL this evening. An under estimated part of the country.

My uncle is RV'ing and looking for a place to permanently retire. I rendezvoused to catch up on family gossip.
He is thinking here or a bit farther west. Maybe Gulf Shores.

It doesn't look insane to me.
Possible to work into all you are doing so as to get free lodging (which I have no idea how much you pay for it now since you seem to be all over the country)?

I’m 26 and Travel Around the World as a House Sitter. Here’s How I Make It Work

https://money.com/house-sitting-travel/

Vinny
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Kbg wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:36 pm ML,

Not sure if I'm answering your question Kbg, but I've been living on investments for about 7 years. I still have some ownership/board member duties in a few companies. Up until this year, I've just been hauling a 30 liter rucksack on the plane/train/ferry/rental car with me and staying in hotels and airBnBs all over the world. This year, after the ruckus, I bought a used car out of LA in May and have been driving around the USA trying to build a better mental map of what all of the nooks and crannies of this great country are really like. Where I go is decided by a mix of weather, business needs, opportunities, whimsy, girlfriend agenda and family crises.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

vnatale wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:48 pm Possible to work into all you are doing so as to get free lodging (which I have no idea how much you pay for it now since you seem to be all over the country)?

Vinny
Vinny, my apologies but I didn't understand your post at all.
I don't house sit.
I pay going rates, cheaper when I can get it. Not if I can't.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mark Leavy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:20 pm
vnatale wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:48 pm Possible to work into all you are doing so as to get free lodging (which I have no idea how much you pay for it now since you seem to be all over the country)?

Vinny
Vinny, my apologies but I didn't understand your post at all.
I don't house sit.
I pay going rates, cheaper when I can get it. Not if I can't.
I did not think that you did. Just pointing out that as the article points out you could get better lodging at less costs. But, of course, as I stated above only if it is possible to work it into all you doing.

Vinny
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

Mark Leavy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:19 pm
Kbg wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:36 pm ML,

Not sure if I'm answering your question Kbg, but I've been living on investments for about 7 years. I still have some ownership/board member duties in a few companies. Up until this year, I've just been hauling a 30 liter rucksack on the plane/train/ferry/rental car with me and staying in hotels and airBnBs all over the world. This year, after the ruckus, I bought a used car out of LA in May and have been driving around the USA trying to build a better mental map of what all of the nooks and crannies of this great country are really like. Where I go is decided by a mix of weather, business needs, opportunities, whimsy, girlfriend agenda and family crises.
Sweet, sounds like a blast. I love going off interstate. The US is an amazing country and so varied. Most countries I've been around the world are very homogeneous, but in all fairness I haven't been to those that probably aren't. I will never forget my first time in Saudi Arabia when I went exploring with a friend outside of Riyadh and he was just floored by the desert landscapes and kept commenting how cool it was. He was from the east coast, I grew up out west. After about an hour of his comments, I finally said "Dude, you really need to go to Arizona, S. Utah, SE. Cali. This place has got nothing on your own country."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I thought the landscape of northern NM looked pretty damn close to Afghanistan. Adobe houses look eerily like qalats as well.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

An excellent article on the topic:

Should You Move or Stay Put in Retirement?

Before buying in a new place, rent for at least one year, or one season, to see if you like it.

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/retir ... y-put.html

Vinny
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

The proximity of grandchildren and other family often seems to be a big factor in retirees' decisions regarding where to live.

I have a friend who has three young kids, and his wife's parents live with them. When my friend's parents recently retired, they also moved to the neighborhood, just two houses over. ;D
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:45 pm I thought the landscape of northern NM looked pretty damn close to Afghanistan. Adobe houses look eerily like qalats as well.
Yea. It's been a little freaky.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

I have to say that the strip between Perdido Key and Gulf Shores is pretty nice. You could do much worse than Flora Bama.

Except for the jelly fish. The little fuckers swiped my hip and calf while swimming from Florida to Alabama.

littlefucker.jpeg
littlefucker.jpeg (105.49 KiB) Viewed 4437 times