Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Only 6% of covid-19 deaths were solely caused by it

Post by WiseOne »

Cortopassi wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:55 am
I Shrugged wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:19 am One problem is that according to anecdotal accounts from cardiologists and such, many people have stayed home rather that get treated for life threatening things. How many excess deaths arose from this?
You could argue that's from Covid as well, but then should subtract them off, if it's determined they would still be alive if they came to the hospital. In my opinion.

Excess deaths do seem to be there. I don't know if these curves are normalized for population increases or not, but it sure would be cool to see this data as far back as possible, to the Swine flu, 1968 flu, 1957 flu, and see what the overall comparison looks like.
Yes, some of the excess deaths will be from "collateral damage" of the mass unemployment, cancelling of elective procedures, reluctance to go for urgent medical care, the increase in crime in large cities etc. You won't easily separate those out. On the other hand, it probably is the case that there will be fewer deaths from things like car accidents because people have been traveling less.

Ivor Cummins (on his youtube channel) has studied this issue quite thoroughly if you want to take a look. He has found that the excess deaths this year (compared to the 25 year average, corrected for population growth) is not as much as in some of the years in that time frame.