Politics

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Politics

Post by Ad Orientem » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:13 pm

I am becoming concerned that the tone of some of the recent comments on the politically themed threads is not what I have come to expect on this forum. To the extent I may have contributed to that, I apologize. I have decided to step away from the forum until after the general election. There is enough politically motivated acrimony in my life. I wish all of you the best in these troubled times.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Politics

Post by Hal » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:26 pm

Looking forward to your return. :)

I found these talks interesting. Perhaps you may wish to listen to them in your extra free time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABRN0E_mI0U

https://www.youtube.com/c/INTPWorld/videos
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:28 pm

I, too, am not that interested in discussing politics here as I have expressed in the past. The presence of those topics does not bother me though. I just don't read or even click on those threads heh.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:42 pm

Yea it's mostly annoying I guess.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:48 pm

While I'm not opposed to political discussion in moderation, since I generally surf the forum by selecting "active topics" on the top left the number of political posts can be overwhelming. One technical request would be an "all investing topics" option that shows the results for every forum BUT the "other discussions". But if that's not possible, I may just have to get used to surfing the interesting forums individually.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:58 pm

Ad Orientem wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:13 pm
I am becoming concerned that the tone of some of the recent comments on the politically themed threads is not what I have come to expect on this forum. To the extent I may have contributed to that, I apologize. I have decided to step away from the forum until after the general election. There is enough politically motivated acrimony in my life. I wish all of you the best in these troubled times.
I have had a post in draft for two weeks that is almost identical to this, but I still come back for more pain.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:50 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:58 pm
Ad Orientem wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:13 pm
I have had a post in draft for two weeks that is almost identical to this, but I still come back for more pain.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:56 pm

Good reminder...I normally stay away from this section of the board but occasionally I come by and jump down into the gutter and throw some elbows. But pretty much every time I do after a couple of days I remind myself that I just lost that X amount of time and will never get it back.

Lately I've become completely fed up with what I see as just shear mindlessness. No matter what is brought up as a counterpoint there is a Pavlovian reversion to one's political views. At the end of the day, discussing politics with such folks is really a complete waste of time. There really is no point to it.

I have hit peak wasting my time on politics...and need to head off to a recovery center.

Thanks for the intervention!
europeanwizard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by europeanwizard » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:00 am

As a European, most topics look completely and utterly like, I don't know, an extremely biased yet very detailed review of the divorce of the neighbors next door.

I'm sure it's relevant when you're American, but even then, lots of topics are just link dumping.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:24 am

I have noticed the tone of many posts (not just this forum) has changed in the past several months. The tone has progressed from a few friendly jabs once in a while to more and more ad hominum attacks (on each other as well as on Trump and Biden) rather than a reasoned critique of substance. I'm guilty too. :-[ Maybe it is months of quarantine coupled with the current election season, or maybe it is realizing the perceived downward spiral of our country might not ever be really over until it's really OVER - and wanting to blame frustration on anyone other than self. That is why I try to focus on the objective truth that lies outside of myself, a stable never changing truth; if the truth is only how each of us sees it (post modern philosophy?) no wonder we have such division and non-unity, and snarky comments on forums and social media. Simul justus et peccator indeed we are.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:29 am

Elections? Politics? Whats that?
We have the "Great Leader" Chairman Dan ;D

Usually religion and politics bring out peoples passions, but I have to congratulate the forum members on their self reflection.
The courtesy and reasoning here is why I keep coming back. Hopefully HB is up there checking in on this site to see how his Libertarian and Financial philosophies are going. ;)
Attachments
Chairman Dan.png
Chairman Dan.png (325.81 KiB) Viewed 1866 times
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:28 am

In general I am not fond of political discussions online but I think the ones on this board have been fairly civil. If this were Facebook we would have been calling each other Libtards and Repubelikcans/Trumpkins months ago.

I enjoy reading the back and forth between both sides on the forum. I learn a lot about both sides and it definitely gives me views that I dont necessarily get within my circle of people or on the media.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:05 am

jalanlong wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:28 am
In general I am not fond of political discussions online but I think the ones on this board have been fairly civil. If this were Facebook we would have been calling each other Libtards and Repubelikcans/Trumpkins months ago.

I enjoy reading the back and forth between both sides on the forum. I learn a lot about both sides and it definitely gives me views that I dont necessarily get within my circle of people or on the media.
Well stated!

I share the sentiments!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."