A Current Fad?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3748
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: A Current Fad?

Post by Xan » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:30 am

glennds wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:11 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:38 am
pugchief wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:46 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:04 pm

However, I believe it is a sign of cultural decay that will eventually reverse when we go back to a more conservative culture.
Hahahaha, you can't be serious (although I wish you were). The US, Canada and Europe are moving further to the left with each passing year. What on earth would make you think that trend won't continue?
I'm completely serious. The US, if it survives, will eventually swing back to a more conservative culture.
That may happen after a serious collapse, but it will happen eventually, if history is any guide.
Remember the Roaring 20s, or the 60's for that matter? What happened after those phases in history?
Wouldn't you agree the Roaring 20's and the end of the Gilded Age came with the Great Depression, which in turn resulted in the progressive action of FDR?
The result was the creation of, among other things, Social Security, farm relief, unemployment benefits, Anti-trust legislation and other Great Deal provisions?
I'm not seeing how the US became more conservative at that time, other than perhaps in global isolationist policy but certainly not domestically.
I believe we're talking about the culture in general, not politically. "conservative" not being a political term, but an outlook/style/temperament/cultural term.
User avatar
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:30 am

Re: A Current Fad?

Post by jalanlong » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:00 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:38 am
pugchief wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:46 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:04 pm

However, I believe it is a sign of cultural decay that will eventually reverse when we go back to a more conservative culture.
Hahahaha, you can't be serious (although I wish you were). The US, Canada and Europe are moving further to the left with each passing year. What on earth would make you think that trend won't continue?
I'm completely serious. The US, if it survives, will eventually swing back to a more conservative culture.
That may happen after a serious collapse, but it will happen eventually, if history is any guide.
Remember the Roaring 20s, or the 60's for that matter? What happened after those phases in history?
Are you taking into account the demographic shift in this county that has been happening and will probably continue to happen going forward? Census projections are that Hispanics will double as a percentage of the US population over the next 30 years. I am not sure you can compare the future American population and their values to the values of Americans in the earlier parts of this century.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5994
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm

Re: A Current Fad?

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:42 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:00 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:38 am
pugchief wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:46 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:04 pm

However, I believe it is a sign of cultural decay that will eventually reverse when we go back to a more conservative culture.
Hahahaha, you can't be serious (although I wish you were). The US, Canada and Europe are moving further to the left with each passing year. What on earth would make you think that trend won't continue?
I'm completely serious. The US, if it survives, will eventually swing back to a more conservative culture.
That may happen after a serious collapse, but it will happen eventually, if history is any guide.
Remember the Roaring 20s, or the 60's for that matter? What happened after those phases in history?
Are you taking into account the demographic shift in this county that has been happening and will probably continue to happen going forward? Census projections are that Hispanics will double as a percentage of the US population over the next 30 years. I am not sure you can compare the future American population and their values to the values of Americans in the earlier parts of this century.
Once people get successful, they usually become more conservative.
And we already know that Hispanics in general are much more conservative socially (e.g., Christian) than white leftists.
User avatar
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:56 pm

Re: A Current Fad?

Post by Lonestar » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:06 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:00 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:38 am
pugchief wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:46 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:04 pm

However, I believe it is a sign of cultural decay that will eventually reverse when we go back to a more conservative culture.
Hahahaha, you can't be serious (although I wish you were). The US, Canada and Europe are moving further to the left with each passing year. What on earth would make you think that trend won't continue?
I'm completely serious. The US, if it survives, will eventually swing back to a more conservative culture.
That may happen after a serious collapse, but it will happen eventually, if history is any guide.
Remember the Roaring 20s, or the 60's for that matter? What happened after those phases in history?
Are you taking into account the demographic shift in this county that has been happening and will probably continue to happen going forward? Census projections are that Hispanics will double as a percentage of the US population over the next 30 years. I am not sure you can compare the future American population and their values to the values of Americans in the earlier parts of this century.
Also, the 30's and 40's had much of the population living in small towns and rural areas. Those folks were culturally conservation by nature. Look at the shift where today most of the populations live in the larger cities.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 am

Re: A Current Fad?

Post by glennds » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:33 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:44 pm
Xan wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:30 am
glennds wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:11 am


Wouldn't you agree the Roaring 20's and the end of the Gilded Age came with the Great Depression, which in turn resulted in the progressive action of FDR?
The result was the creation of, among other things, Social Security, farm relief, unemployment benefits, Anti-trust legislation and other Great Deal provisions?
I'm not seeing how the US became more conservative at that time, other than perhaps in global isolationist policy but certainly not domestically.
I believe we're talking about the culture in general, not politically. "conservative" not being a political term, but an outlook/style/temperament/cultural term.
Right. Society during the Great Depression was much more conservative in style and values than it had been during the Roaring 20's.

OK, I now see what you were attempting to say, and yes, I agree that cultural style and taste changed and became more conservative after the 20s. Where tattoos might be viewed one day, I can't really say. Anyone getting a tattoo must be comfortable with commitment.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5994
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm

Re: A Current Fad?

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:39 pm

glennds wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:33 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:44 pm
Xan wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:30 am
glennds wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:11 am


Wouldn't you agree the Roaring 20's and the end of the Gilded Age came with the Great Depression, which in turn resulted in the progressive action of FDR?
The result was the creation of, among other things, Social Security, farm relief, unemployment benefits, Anti-trust legislation and other Great Deal provisions?
I'm not seeing how the US became more conservative at that time, other than perhaps in global isolationist policy but certainly not domestically.
I believe we're talking about the culture in general, not politically. "conservative" not being a political term, but an outlook/style/temperament/cultural term.
Right. Society during the Great Depression was much more conservative in style and values than it had been during the Roaring 20's.

OK, I now see what you were attempting to say, and yes, I agree that cultural style and taste changed and became more conservative after the 20s. Where tattoos might be viewed one day, I can't really say. Anyone getting a tattoo must be comfortable with commitment.
Or have a very high rate of time preference.
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2675
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: A Current Fad?

Post by Tortoise » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:24 pm

I would imagine that tattoo removal will be a growth industry for at least the next few decades. Business/investment opportunity?
User avatar
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:56 pm

Re: A Current Fad?

Post by Lonestar » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:57 pm

If I were a young dermatologist I would look in that direction. I don't see how reversal could be done on the people that have extensive artwork on their body, and I bet it will be costly and painful.
User avatar
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:01 am

Re: A Current Fad?

Post by shekels » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:35 am

Guess how they found, the alleged Portland shooter from last night?
Attachments
EgrFPVlWsAAdZq_.jpg small.jpeg
EgrFPVlWsAAdZq_.jpg small.jpeg (72.37 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 6667
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: A Current Fad?

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:10 pm

If YOU want a tattoo but do not want to make it a lifetime decision you can go here and get a temporary peel-and-stick tattoo for adults that last one to two weeks.

Vinny

https://get.inkbox.com/home
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1053
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 1:50 am

Re: A Current Fad?

Post by Hal » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:36 am

My anecdote :D
Walking with a Japanese friend behind a young lady. He couldn't stop chuckling about why she had the symbol for a "gate" tattooed on the back of her neck. Motto: check what the symbol means before hand.

PS: Look up what this 4wd model means in Spanish :o
https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/ve ... jero/range
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 6667
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: A Current Fad?

Post by vnatale » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:25 pm

More on tattoo's...

Yesterday a read a book on a Navy SEAL who was severely injured in Iraq. Had something like 26 operations. some of which required skin grafts.

His available skin to be used for the skin grafts was severely limited because so much of his skin was covered by tattoo's.

Therefore a downside to having tattoo's which may never come in to play for most people. But could for some. Probably far more likely now due to the prevalence of tattoo's.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2675
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: A Current Fad?

Post by Tortoise » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:28 pm

Why would a tattoo interfere with a skin graft?
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 6667
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: A Current Fad?

Post by vnatale » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:03 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:28 pm
Why would a tattoo interfere with a skin graft?
I did a search and could not find an answer. That was what the book author had stated in his book.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1285
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: A Current Fad?

Post by l82start » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:06 pm

guessing...... not every area is covered in the "best for grafting" type skin, tattoos reduce the graft ability of the skin they are on, a lot of leg, ass, full sleeve style tattoos limits options?
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2675
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: A Current Fad?

Post by Tortoise » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:28 pm

l82start wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:06 pm
guessing...... not every area is covered in the "best for grafting" type skin, tattoos reduce the graft ability of the skin they are on, a lot of leg, ass, full sleeve style tattoos limits options?
Yeah, my question is really why would tattoos reduce the graft ability of the skin they are on? It’s just injected ink; it’s not toxic.

Like Vinny, I also did a quick interwebz search but couldn’t find any obvious assertions that tattooed skin is harder to graft.
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3748
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: A Current Fad?

Post by Xan » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:33 pm

Well it would mess up the picture. It would turn out like this:
tta1678_smiley_face_15_puzzle__09102-1000x1000.jpg
tta1678_smiley_face_15_puzzle__09102-1000x1000.jpg (95.18 KiB) Viewed 488 times
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3900
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: A Current Fad?

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:19 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:25 pm

Yesterday a read a book on a Navy SEAL who was severely injured in Iraq.
What book is this.
And as for him who lacks the courage to defend even his own soul: Let him not brag of his progressive views, boast of his status as an academician or a recognized artist, a distinguished citizen or general. Let him say to himself plainly: I am cattle, I am a coward, I seek only warmth and to eat my fill.
Solzhenitsyn, Live Not By Lies
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 6667
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: A Current Fad?

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:05 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:19 am
vnatale wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:25 pm

Yesterday a read a book on a Navy SEAL who was severely injured in Iraq.
What book is this.
The Trident

https://jasonredman.com/books/



Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Post Reply