Mods silently deleting posts?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mods silently deleting posts?

Post by Tortoise » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:33 pm

Earlier today, I noticed that @Libertarian666 made a new post to this Tim Pool video on BitChute about BLM riots, but when I checked back a little while later the post was no longer there.

I PMed tech and confirmed that he did not delete his own post.

Was it a forum glitch, or did one of the mods or admins silently delete tech's post?
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Mods silently deleting posts?

Post by Maddy » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:45 pm

Well we caught a former moderator red-handed some six months ago. He decided that my conservative libertarian viewpoint was annoying and deleted my entire posting history. I maintain, to this day, that he did not act alone.

That's the first place I'd look.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:50 pm

Interesting and alarming if true. We can't have that kind of clandestine censorship happening here. Especially not in a libertarian-leaning group, that's for sure.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:54 pm

Is it possible that tech got blacked out drunk and deleted his own post? It's happened to the best of us. The most handsome, with the best smiles and glorious hair. Who are possibly on that path right now.
Last edited by Kriegsspiel on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:54 pm

It's right here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11049
it hasn't gone anywhere.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:56 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:33 pm
Earlier today, I noticed that @Libertarian666 made a new post to this Tim Pool video on BitChute about BLM riots, but when I checked back a little while later the post was no longer there.

I PMed tech and confirmed that he did not delete his own post.

Was it a forum glitch, or did one of the mods or admins silently delete tech's post?
Woah... I thought I saw "Moda," not Mods.

I was almost flattered at the accusation... as I usually can't even get my pics to post correctly, much less hack a forum to censor tech's unending stream of consciousness here...
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:59 pm

I see moda is trying to bogart my post. Like a total fucking dickhole. I was talking about me.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:02 pm

Maddy wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:45 pm
Well we caught a former moderator red-handed some six months ago. He decided that my conservative libertarian viewpoint was annoying and deleted my entire posting history. I maintain, to this day, that he did not act alone.

Maddy,

I'm not sure what it would mean for the moderator to not act alone. We have the logs to this day which say who deleted your account. Are you suggesting he got permission to do it from one of the other mods? That's a pretty steep (and frankly untenable) accusation against the remaining people with moderator access, who are me, l82start, Craig, and MediumTex.

I'm quite sure Craig and Tex were not involved, and l82start and I were equally shocked to discover what had happened.

To be fair to the moderator in question, he interpreted something you had said as a personal attack against another member, and (regrettably) decided to ban you. Which in his defense isn't something permanent. Certainly he should have run it by the other mods in the moderators subforum before acting. As for the deletion of posts, deleting the user's historical posts IS the default option (because banning is primarily used against spammers). He just didn't look carefully while clicking through. Not that that makes it okay: his access was immediately revoked upon discovery of the situation.

So I really don't see how a conspiracy against you could be involved, Maddy. One guy got hot under the collar because of something you said and reacted impulsively.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:05 pm

Oh man, now I feel like a total idiot. Fake news! Feel free to silently delete this thread, mods — not moda :)
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:07 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:54 pm
Is it possible that tech got blacked out drunk and deleted his own post? It's happened to the best of us. The most handsome, with the best smiles and glorious hair. Who are possibly on that path right now.
I've never been drunk in my life, so that's probably not the explanation.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:12 pm

Maybe not that you can remember. When working with tequila, or maybe evenJägermeister, the results can be QUICK and DEVASTATING AS SHIT and maybe you are mistaken.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:19 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:12 pm
Maybe not that you can remember. When working with tequila, or maybe evenJägermeister, the results can be QUICK and DEVASTATING AS SHIT and maybe you are mistaken.
I don't drink alcohol other than a couple of ounces of wine once a week.
And that's way more than I used to drink.
So I'm pretty sure I'm right about that.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:07 pm

Xan wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:02 pm
Maddy wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:45 pm

Maddy,

I'm not sure what it would mean for the moderator to not act alone. We have the logs to this day which say who deleted your account. Are you suggesting he got permission to do it from one of the other mods? That's a pretty steep (and frankly untenable) accusation against the remaining people with moderator access, who are me, l82start, Craig, and MediumTex.
Xan, that's not what I was insinuating at all. I'm thinking of a post from another left-leaning member who, in a startling departure from his usual analytical self, went uncharacteristically off the rails just shortly before my "banning" and declared in a bombastic tirade that certain posters ought to be "mercilessly crushed" or something like that. When taken in the context of what followed shortly thereafter, it didn't take much to put two and two together. I'm not suggesting that anyone else actually entered the system without permission; only that the unauthorized action of one (who had been gone from the forum for approximately two years and who clearly was no longer acting as a moderator) was probably egged on by at least one other, then-current, member. Sorry of my poor choice of words ("did not act alone") was misleading. I'm only working on about 40% brain power these days.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:59 am

Here it is, posted to the forum on Friday, January 10, 2020:

"My experiences here as well as in real life during the Trump era have left me fundamentally convinced that you must give no quarter to trolls, fascists, and any others with no respect for their fellow man or ability to hold rational discussions when they try to join polite society. You need to push them out them, or else they will slowly poison the deep well of social value that others have painstakingly saved up. If they don't go away or play nice, then they are demonstrating that they only understand force and you need to crush them. When you start to do this, they will yell and scream and complain about how unfair it is and call you names, bleating disingenuously about how mean you are and how you're being a hyprocrite or are actually a fascist yourself, but this is just a trick to weaken your resolve. They know that power and force may be uncomfortable tools for you and they're trying to take advantage of your vulnerability to undermine your self-image. You must harden your heart and crush them remorselessly if you want to preserve your society. There is no other way."

I was "disappeared" from the forum approximately two weeks later. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10364

And to think, just two or three years ago, we were actually having serious debates on this forum over whether it was the Left or the Right that was more "authoritarian." Guess we settled that one.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:31 am

I guess I didn't figure out the person behind Maddy's banning as I thought I did. Well, someone absent for 2 years prior, that's a clue. Unfortunately I don't know who the mods were. Oh well, back to being bored at home in Covidtime.