Seeking Book Recommendations, 1990s Yugoslav Wars

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Seeking Book Recommendations, 1990s Yugoslav Wars

Post by stuper1 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:07 pm

I have an interest in the Balkans but know little about it. Can anyone recommend any good unbiased introductory books about the 1990s Yugoslav Wars?

I think my interest was sparked by the current best tennis player Novak Djokovic, a Serb who I don't really like very much as a fan although he is an amazing player and seems relatively nice. I've started to warm to him a little in recent years. I only mention this because it seems strange to me that I don't even like the guy and yet I'm interested in the region he comes from. Truth be told, I think the reason I'm interested in the region is that from what little I know the various ethnic groups seem determined to hang onto their identities and not let immigration turn them into globalist mongrels. I'm interested in Japan for the same reason in case anyone has any good books on Japan to recommend.

Covid-19 has given me a lot more time to spend reading, which is maybe the only upside.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Seeking Book Recommendations, 1990s Yugoslav Wars

Post by stuper1 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:20 pm

Haha, Nadal is my favorite. He's a monster. His focus never wavers on the court where he is a beast. Off the court, apparently he is the nicest guy in the world.

I get it though. He is very irritating to watch with all his OCD tics. And his matches take forever, especially when he plays Djokovic who is also a slow player.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:40 pm

I don't know about overviews, but these are related:

War Is A Force That Gives Us Meaning by Hedges
My Jihad by Collins
Ghostkeepers by Casey
The Sword And The Scimitar by Ibrahim
Savage Continent by Lowe
Postwar: A History Of Europe Since 1945 by Judt
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:44 pm

Also, The Long Shadow by Reynolds might be useful. I haven't read it, but it's in the list of books Dan Carlin used for Blueprint For Armageddon.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.