Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: If you actually think black lives matter, watch this ad

Post by stuper1 »

Cortopassi wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:31 pm
Tortoise wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:19 pm Fair enough, Cortopassi. Then I do give you credit for sharing your thought process and for accepting the fact that the racial composition of a society can have a big effect on its homicide rate. And on my end, I accept the fact that race isn't the only factor; other factors like organized crime are huge and can be independent of race.

When we compare countries, we just need to be aware of which of those factors differ between the countries and which ones are similar.

Regarding my wording potentially sounding racist, I understand. But I honestly don't know how that can be avoided -- especially in the current social climate where the label "racist" is tossed around so much that it's lost most of its original meaning.

Some facts are just plain ugly and distasteful, and stating them plainly so as not to be misunderstood will almost certainly rub lots of people the wrong way. Maybe I need to practice using more diplomatic wording when arguing such facts.

Like you, I would also love to see the problem fixed. But when I look at black societies around the world, including in Africa, and note that they exhibit disproportionately high rates of violence and murder everywhere (not just in the U.S.), it discourages me and raises the possibility that there may not be a good fix. Whatever the root problem with black societies is, it appears to be global and not specific to the U.S. or Western culture.
Thanks, man.

Maybe imagine yourself at a podium saying what you want to say to a room full of diverse people. "Why do we have more homicides in America? Because we have more black people."

Yeah, it's a fact, but will not go over well....no matter what you follow that line up with.... :)
Some black leaders have made statements to that effect at various podiums in attempts to get black culture to wake up to the need for changes. These attempts haven't received much media attention, because media is in bed with big government, which always wants to propose a big government solution to problems.

Imagine a white person making that statement at a podium. The result would probably be a riot in which many people (mainly black) could get killed. Which would just be further proof of the original statement.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: If you actually think black lives matter, watch this ad

Post by stuper1 »

The latest "Conversations with Coleman" podcast is a discussion with Bret Weinstein that covers a lot of the issues we've discussed here. Coleman Hughes is a young black American writer. Hughes says that top-down remedial approaches started by the government won't work.