If you actually think black lives matter, watch this ad

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: If you actually think black lives matter, watch this ad

Post by jhogue »

While I liked my M1911 Colt Combat Commander (.45 ACP) back when I was on active duty, I have recently moved onto a Walther CCP (.380 ACP). Lighter weight, Less recoil, tighter shot group, smaller size for better concealed carry. Last time I was at my local gun shop/ range I was particularly struck by how popular handguns have become with women.

BTW, sales of guns and ammo have skyrocketed in ex-urban Minneapolis following the George Floyd riots; the shelves of gun dealers stay mostly empty. The middle classes are voting with their feet when it comes to housing and voting with their pocketbooks when it comes to firearms. In just a few months our idiot mayor and governor have managed to do what decades of proselytizing by the NRA failed to do.
Last edited by jhogue on Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

MangoMan wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:43 pm
Tortoise wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:04 pm
Libertarian666 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:54 pm I'm sure you know that such analysis is RACIST!!! Please report immediately to your anti-racism training center!
I already attended college. I guess it didn't take.
I don't remember college being a left wing indoctrination center in the late 70s like it is now. But then again, I don't remember too much from those years, period. 8)
Well, you know what they say about the 60s: if you can remember it, you weren't there. :D
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

No one has tried to directly address:

— why aren't we able to get our Covid numbers under control like most of the westernized world?
— why are our homicide rates worse than the rest of the westernized world?

As the richest country in the world, why are we having such difficulty with these issues? And so many others?

stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

Here is a thought on why our homicide rate is higher than the rest of the westernized world:

Have you ever heard the phrase "diversity is our strength"? Do you ever wonder if that is true or if the powers that be just want us to believe that it is true? I suspect that most of the "westernized world" is much more homogeneous than the USA. Maybe when a bunch of cultural groups try to live together permanently in one place it's not such a surprise that conflicts happen.

Look up a map of homicides by country. The USA was ranked #55 as of 2017. Most of the worst countries were in Latin America and Africa. Guess where most of our non-westernized people came from? Then factor in the extra conflict created by mixing the Latins, Africans, and Caucasians, along with smaller amounts of other groups.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

stuper1 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:15 pm Here is a thought on why our homicide rate is higher than the rest of the westernized world:

Have you ever heard the phrase "diversity is our strength"? Do you ever wonder if that is true or if the powers that be just want us to believe that it is true? I suspect that most of the "westernized world" is much more homogeneous than the USA. Maybe when a bunch of cultural groups try to live together permanently in one place it's not such a surprise that conflicts happen.

Look up a map of homicides by country. The USA was ranked #55 as of 2017. Most of the worst countries were in Latin America and Africa. Guess where most of our non-westernized people came from? Then factor in the extra conflict created by mixing the Latins, Africans, and Caucasians, along with smaller amounts of other groups.
I think it is something else. Most killings in Chicago are black on black gang crime. There's no diversity there except what gang you are in (as I understand it).

So when you hear the term Black Lives Matter and think about it in that light, I absolutely see the issue. If, for example, that level of killing was happening white on white in my suburb of Chicago, you'd damn well better believe there would be some major ongoing outcry to fix whatever is causing it.

Yet in these black communities, except for the occasional outcry when a very young person is shot, most of the rest of the city just shrugs, shakes their head, and goes on with life.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

Cortopassi wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:36 am
stuper1 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:15 pm Here is a thought on why our homicide rate is higher than the rest of the westernized world:

I think it is something else. Most killings in Chicago are black on black gang crime. There's no diversity there except what gang you are in (as I understand it).

So when you hear the term Black Lives Matter and think about it in that light, I absolutely see the issue. If, for example, that level of killing was happening white on white in my suburb of Chicago, you'd damn well better believe there would be some major ongoing outcry to fix whatever is causing it.

Yet in these black communities, except for the occasional outcry when a very young person is shot, most of the rest of the city just shrugs, shakes their head, and goes on with life.
So who is and has been running these area's with Black on Black crime?
Let me guess Trump.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

The additional homicide rate above what you see in other westernized countries is due to a combination of things: black on black, hispanic on hispanic, and black/hispanic on white.

Somebody will say well what about say white on black homicide? Blacks kill about twice as many whites per year as whites kill blacks. Since blacks make up 13% of the population, this means on a per capitas basis that black on white homicide is something like 8 times the amount of white on black homicide. Think about that the next time that the mass media shows white hooded KKK people as a menace to black people. The actual statistics show that white people have much more to fear from black people than vice versa.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

shekels wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:50 am

Let me guess Trump.
No, it's not Trump. But we've touched on a few things. Like teenage pregnancy, and single mother households.

But...here's where no one has a good answer...why? If someone were to use the words "systemic racism" you'll get eye rolls from a lot of people on this board. But if not that, what? They are in areas with bad economies, bad schools, and poor prospects and the cycle repeats over and over.

So why is that? It's not because they aren't capable. It's not because they wouldn't want to get a good education and rise up out of this, right?

What breaks the cycle? I suspect a Republican rep, alderman or mayor is not necessarily going to be enough.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Is “systemic racism” also the problem with African countries’ high homicide rates? In many of those countries, almost all of the citizens are black and don’t have the history of slavery that American blacks do.

Your question about why the U.S. homicide rate is so much higher than that of other rich Western nations has been answered, cortopassi. It’s because the U.S. has many more black and Hispanic citizens than other rich Western nations. Period. That’s really the long and the short of it. Sad and unfortunate, but true.

Whether you choose to accept that truth or not is up to you.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

Cortopassi wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:17 am
shekels wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:50 am

Let me guess Trump.
No, it's not Trump. But we've touched on a few things. Like teenage pregnancy, and single mother households.

But...here's where no one has a good answer...why? If someone were to use the words "systemic racism" you'll get eye rolls from a lot of people on this board. But if not that, what? They are in areas with bad economies, bad schools, and poor prospects and the cycle repeats over and over.

So why is that? It's not because they aren't capable. It's not because they wouldn't want to get a good education and rise up out of this, right?

What breaks the cycle? I suspect a Republican rep, alderman or mayor is not necessarily going to be enough.
There are actually plenty of black people doing well in America. Why don't we ask them how they did it?
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

Look up the book by Jared Taylor called "Paved with Good Intentions: the failure of race relations in contemporary America". He has a good discussion of the problems. The problem is basically big government and other forces breaking up families and creating welfare dependency. Government can't solve the problem. Government is the problem.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

stuper1 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:56 am Look up the book by Jared Taylor called "Paved with Good Intentions: the failure of race relations in contemporary America". He has a good discussion of the problems. The problem is basically big government and other forces breaking up families and creating welfare dependency. Government can't solve the problem. Government is the problem.
Is the government doing the same thing in African countries?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Any idea why the rate is so high in Russia, where there's only 0.1% black people?

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Tortoise wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:58 am
stuper1 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:56 am Look up the book by Jared Taylor called "Paved with Good Intentions: the failure of race relations in contemporary America". He has a good discussion of the problems. The problem is basically big government and other forces breaking up families and creating welfare dependency. Government can't solve the problem. Government is the problem.
Is the government doing the same thing in African countries?
Their governments are much worse than ours. They don't bother with welfare dependency because it's too expensive. Instead, their cultures wallow in barbarism without any outside help.

For details of why, read "The Bell Curve".
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Cortopassi wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:03 pm Any idea why the rate is so high in Russia, where there's only 0.1% black people?
Probably organized crime, similar to why the homicide rate is so high in many Latin American countries where drug cartels are in control. Russia is not a rich Western nation. It's a BRIC nation (Brazil, Russia, India, and China), so it's plagued by rampant organized crime and various other issues that the U.S. doesn't have.

Not sure what you're trying to get at now, Cortopassi. You originally asked why the U.S. homicide rate is so much higher than that of other rich Western nations (which, as I just pointed out, does not include Russia). It seems to me that your question was satisfactorily answered by the fact that the most obvious difference between the U.S. and other rich Western nations is that the U.S. has many more black and Hispanic citizens.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

No, you answered it.

I've just been sitting trying to process it. Really, I am. Not trying to be a dick. Take this however you want.

Reading 1, 2 hours ago: More black people = more homicides. Sounds racist. Whether intended or not. I threw in Russia to see how you'd respond. You pegged that to organized crime, not to skin color.

Reading 2, just now: More black people = more homicides. A fact, sad but true. Russia from organized crime. Likely also a fact.

So in the past 2 hours, I have gone from reading your initial response thinking you are flat out equating skin color to inclination to kill people, to it just being a fact.

Give me some credit for that please, but also understand how your initial wording could be very easily taken the wrong way.

What I wish is there was some way to fix it.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

Do you have any black peers or co-workers? Ask them what can be done to improve the situation.

I imagine what they'll say is that it comes down to personal choice and responsibility. About the best that government can do is to encourage a strong economy so that there are a lot of jobs available to those who are willing to work.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

stuper1 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:56 pm Do you have any black peers or co-workers? Ask them what can be done to improve the situation.

I imagine what they'll say is that it comes down to personal choice and responsibility. About the best that government can do is to encourage a strong economy so that there are a lot of jobs available to those who are willing to work.
I do. He's an engineer and his son is a pilot. I agree on the responsibility and jobs 100%. I think the difficulty comes in with the entrenched gangs and lifestyle -- if I can sell drugs and make 10x what I can at a real job and don't need to know anything other than how to intimidate people and use a gun, how's is that cycle broken.

I suppose it is the same in Russia with the mob and was/is in Sicily with the mob. You get forced in to prevent getting yourself harmed, or lured in probably by easy money, but you can't get out.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Cortopassi wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:08 pm
stuper1 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:56 pm Do you have any black peers or co-workers? Ask them what can be done to improve the situation.

I do. He's an engineer and his son is a pilot. I agree on the responsibility and jobs 100%. I think the difficulty comes in with the entrenched gangs and lifestyle -- if I can sell drugs and make 10x what I can at a real job and don't need to know anything other than how to intimidate people and use a gun, how's is that cycle broken.

I suppose it is the same in Russia with the mob and was/is in Sicily with the mob. You get forced in to prevent getting yourself harmed, or lured in probably by easy money, but you can't get out.
I think primarily such things are cultural. Some cultures are healthier than others. There's a big mob culture in Sicily, and in Russia. Here, rather than one cohesive culture, we have very strong subcultures, some of which are very sick indeed.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Fair enough, Cortopassi. Then I do give you credit for sharing your thought process and for accepting the fact that the racial composition of a society can have a big effect on its homicide rate. And on my end, I accept the fact that race isn't the only factor; other factors like organized crime are huge and can be independent of race.

When we compare countries, we just need to be aware of which of those factors differ between the countries and which ones are similar.

Regarding my wording potentially sounding racist, I understand. But I honestly don't know how that can be avoided -- especially in the current social climate where the label "racist" is tossed around so much that it's lost most of its original meaning.

Some facts are just plain ugly and distasteful, and stating them plainly so as not to be misunderstood will almost certainly rub lots of people the wrong way. Maybe I need to practice using more diplomatic wording when arguing such facts.

Like you, I would also love to see the problem fixed. But when I look at black societies around the world, including in Africa, and note that they exhibit disproportionately high rates of violence and murder everywhere (not just in the U.S.), it discourages me and raises the possibility that there may not be a good fix. Whatever the root problem with black societies is, it appears to be global and not specific to the U.S. or Western culture.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

The word "racist" is stupid. I don't care if anybody calls me a racist, just like I don't care if anybody calls me honky, gringo, cracker, or nigger. I really don't care what anybody thinks about me or calls me. That's their problem. My problem is to try to treat everybody fairly no matter what the color of their skin. If that's not good enough, and somebody thinks they can read my mind and see my true motives, which they judge to be racist, like I say that's their problem.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

Xan wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:10 pm
Cortopassi wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:08 pm

I think primarily such things are cultural. Some cultures are healthier than others. There's a big mob culture in Sicily, and in Russia. Here, rather than one cohesive culture, we have very strong subcultures, some of which are very sick indeed.
Yes, and like I said before, there is a lot of violence within some of our subcultures, plus there is added violence across some of our subcultures (not surprisingly mainly unidirectional).
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Tortoise wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:19 pm Fair enough, Cortopassi. Then I do give you credit for sharing your thought process and for accepting the fact that the racial composition of a society can have a big effect on its homicide rate. And on my end, I accept the fact that race isn't the only factor; other factors like organized crime are huge and can be independent of race.

When we compare countries, we just need to be aware of which of those factors differ between the countries and which ones are similar.

Regarding my wording potentially sounding racist, I understand. But I honestly don't know how that can be avoided -- especially in the current social climate where the label "racist" is tossed around so much that it's lost most of its original meaning.

Some facts are just plain ugly and distasteful, and stating them plainly so as not to be misunderstood will almost certainly rub lots of people the wrong way. Maybe I need to practice using more diplomatic wording when arguing such facts.

Like you, I would also love to see the problem fixed. But when I look at black societies around the world, including in Africa, and note that they exhibit disproportionately high rates of violence and murder everywhere (not just in the U.S.), it discourages me and raises the possibility that there may not be a good fix. Whatever the root problem with black societies is, it appears to be global and not specific to the U.S. or Western culture.
Thanks, man.

Maybe imagine yourself at a podium saying what you want to say to a room full of diverse people. "Why do we have more homicides in America? Because we have more black people."

Yeah, it's a fact, but will not go over well....no matter what you follow that line up with.... :)
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

Cortopassi wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:31 pm
Tortoise wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:19 pm Fair enough, Cortopassi. Then I do give you credit for sharing your thought process and for accepting the fact that the racial composition of a society can have a big effect on its homicide rate. And on my end, I accept the fact that race isn't the only factor; other factors like organized crime are huge and can be independent of race.

Thanks, man.

Maybe imagine yourself at a podium saying what you want to say to a room full of diverse people. "Why do we have more homicides in America? Because we have more black people."

Yeah, it's a fact, but will not go over well....no matter what you follow that line up with.... :)
Some black leaders have made statements to that effect at various podiums in attempts to get black culture to wake up to the need for changes. These attempts haven't received much media attention, because media is in bed with big government, which always wants to propose a big government solution to problems.

Imagine a white person making that statement at a podium. The result would probably be a riot in which many people (mainly black) could get killed. Which would just be further proof of the original statement.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

The latest "Conversations with Coleman" podcast is a discussion with Bret Weinstein that covers a lot of the issues we've discussed here. Coleman Hughes is a young black American writer. Hughes says that top-down remedial approaches started by the government won't work.