If you actually think black lives matter, watch this ad

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:56 pm

Re: If you actually think black lives matter, watch this ad

Post by Lonestar » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:59 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:40 pm

Yes, for my plan to work all guns on the planet would need to disappear.
After that is accomplished, do we start the elimination of alcohol consumption from the planet? MADD reports a person is injured in a drunk driving crash every 2 minutes, and someone is killed every 51 minutes. How does that compare to firearm injuries/deaths?

Assuming MADD's stats are correct, seems like someone should start thinking about getting some "sensible alcohol safety" laws in effect.
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2419
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: If you actually think black lives matter, watch this ad

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:08 pm

Y'all so touchy about your guns.... ::)

FYI I am a gun owner.

All this is hypothetical.
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2138
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: If you actually think black lives matter, watch this ad

Post by Tortoise » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:29 pm

Regarding the idea that the high homicide rate in American black communities may be largely due to the availability of guns, it would be instructive for us to look at Africa (where most of the residents are black).

According to this site, African countries have some of the highest homicide rates in the world. Yet 42% of the homicides in Africa are committed with “sharp objects”, 30% “others”, and only 28% with guns.

Interesting, no?
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7154
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: If you actually think black lives matter, watch this ad

Post by technovelist » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:54 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:29 pm
Regarding the idea that the high homicide rate in American black communities may be largely due to the availability of guns, it would be instructive for us to look at Africa (where most of the residents are black).

According to this site, African countries have some of the highest homicide rates in the world. Yet 42% of the homicides in Africa are committed with “sharp objects”, 30% “others”, and only 28% with guns.

Interesting, no?
I'm sure you know that such analysis is RACIST!!! Please report immediately to your anti-racism training center!
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2138
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: If you actually think black lives matter, watch this ad

Post by Tortoise » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:04 pm

technovelist wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:54 pm
I'm sure you know that such analysis is RACIST!!! Please report immediately to your anti-racism training center!
I already attended college. I guess it didn't take.
User avatar
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 542
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:47 am

Re: If you actually think black lives matter, watch this ad

Post by jhogue » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:39 pm

While I liked my M1911 Colt Combat Commander (.45 ACP) back when I was on active duty, I have recently moved onto a Walther CCP (.380 ACP). Lighter weight, Less recoil, tighter shot group, smaller size for better concealed carry. Last time I was at my local gun shop/ range I was particularly struck by how popular handguns have become with women.

BTW, sales of guns and ammo have skyrocketed in ex-urban Minneapolis following the George Floyd riots; the shelves of gun dealers stay mostly empty. The middle classes are voting with their feet when it comes to housing and voting with their pocketbooks when it comes to firearms. In just a few months our idiot mayor and governor have managed to do what decades of proselytizing by the NRA failed to do.
Last edited by jhogue on Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3987
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: If you actually think black lives matter, watch this ad

Post by pugchief » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:43 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:04 pm
technovelist wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:54 pm
I'm sure you know that such analysis is RACIST!!! Please report immediately to your anti-racism training center!
I already attended college. I guess it didn't take.
I don't remember college being a left wing indoctrination center in the late 70s like it is now. But then again, I don't remember too much from those years, period. 8)
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7154
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: If you actually think black lives matter, watch this ad

Post by technovelist » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:53 pm

pugchief wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:43 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:04 pm
technovelist wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:54 pm
I'm sure you know that such analysis is RACIST!!! Please report immediately to your anti-racism training center!
I already attended college. I guess it didn't take.
I don't remember college being a left wing indoctrination center in the late 70s like it is now. But then again, I don't remember too much from those years, period. 8)
Well, you know what they say about the 60s: if you can remember it, you weren't there. :D
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2419
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: If you actually think black lives matter, watch this ad

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:56 pm

No one has tried to directly address:

— why aren't we able to get our Covid numbers under control like most of the westernized world?
— why are our homicide rates worse than the rest of the westernized world?

As the richest country in the world, why are we having such difficulty with these issues? And so many others?

Image
Image
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: If you actually think black lives matter, watch this ad

Post by stuper1 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:15 pm

Here is a thought on why our homicide rate is higher than the rest of the westernized world:

Have you ever heard the phrase "diversity is our strength"? Do you ever wonder if that is true or if the powers that be just want us to believe that it is true? I suspect that most of the "westernized world" is much more homogeneous than the USA. Maybe when a bunch of cultural groups try to live together permanently in one place it's not such a surprise that conflicts happen.

Look up a map of homicides by country. The USA was ranked #55 as of 2017. Most of the worst countries were in Latin America and Africa. Guess where most of our non-westernized people came from? Then factor in the extra conflict created by mixing the Latins, Africans, and Caucasians, along with smaller amounts of other groups.
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2419
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: If you actually think black lives matter, watch this ad

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:36 am

stuper1 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:15 pm
Here is a thought on why our homicide rate is higher than the rest of the westernized world:

Have you ever heard the phrase "diversity is our strength"? Do you ever wonder if that is true or if the powers that be just want us to believe that it is true? I suspect that most of the "westernized world" is much more homogeneous than the USA. Maybe when a bunch of cultural groups try to live together permanently in one place it's not such a surprise that conflicts happen.

Look up a map of homicides by country. The USA was ranked #55 as of 2017. Most of the worst countries were in Latin America and Africa. Guess where most of our non-westernized people came from? Then factor in the extra conflict created by mixing the Latins, Africans, and Caucasians, along with smaller amounts of other groups.
I think it is something else. Most killings in Chicago are black on black gang crime. There's no diversity there except what gang you are in (as I understand it).

So when you hear the term Black Lives Matter and think about it in that light, I absolutely see the issue. If, for example, that level of killing was happening white on white in my suburb of Chicago, you'd damn well better believe there would be some major ongoing outcry to fix whatever is causing it.

Yet in these black communities, except for the occasional outcry when a very young person is shot, most of the rest of the city just shrugs, shakes their head, and goes on with life.
User avatar
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:01 am

Re: If you actually think black lives matter, watch this ad

Post by shekels » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:50 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:36 am
stuper1 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:15 pm
Here is a thought on why our homicide rate is higher than the rest of the westernized world:

Have you ever heard the phrase "diversity is our strength"? Do you ever wonder if that is true or if the powers that be just want us to believe that it is true? I suspect that most of the "westernized world" is much more homogeneous than the USA. Maybe when a bunch of cultural groups try to live together permanently in one place it's not such a surprise that conflicts happen.

Look up a map of homicides by country. The USA was ranked #55 as of 2017. Most of the worst countries were in Latin America and Africa. Guess where most of our non-westernized people came from? Then factor in the extra conflict created by mixing the Latins, Africans, and Caucasians, along with smaller amounts of other groups.
I think it is something else. Most killings in Chicago are black on black gang crime. There's no diversity there except what gang you are in (as I understand it).

So when you hear the term Black Lives Matter and think about it in that light, I absolutely see the issue. If, for example, that level of killing was happening white on white in my suburb of Chicago, you'd damn well better believe there would be some major ongoing outcry to fix whatever is causing it.

Yet in these black communities, except for the occasional outcry when a very young person is shot, most of the rest of the city just shrugs, shakes their head, and goes on with life.
So who is and has been running these area's with Black on Black crime?
Let me guess Trump.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Post Reply