Apple News App - delete racial justice section?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Apple News App - delete racial justice section?

Post by Tortoise » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:09 pm

Coincidentally, today seems to be the first day that my Apple News app on iOS doesn’t show the Covid-19 and racial justice banners at the top. I don’t think I changed any settings; they just went away.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:31 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:09 pm
Coincidentally, today seems to be the first day that my Apple News app on iOS doesn’t show the Covid-19 and racial justice banners at the top. I don’t think I changed any settings; they just went away.
So it's not that they're not at the top- they're totally gone? I don't use the Apple news app that often. Today was the first time I opened it in several weeks. So I saw those sections today (EST). Weird. I'll redownload tomorrow and see.
RIP Ron Cobb (Daily Check-in Thread).
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:21 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:31 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:09 pm
So it's not that they're not at the top- they're totally gone? I don't use the Apple news app that often. Today was the first time I opened it in several weeks. So I saw those sections today (EST). Weird. I'll redownload tomorrow and see.
Yeah, the banners seem to have gone away completely in the iOS app. I also checked the app on my wife's iPad just now, and I don't see the banners there either.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:02 am

Weird, I still have them ipadOS. Well, had them before I deleted the app once again.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:01 am

Great idea guys! Let's all enjoy a viewing of Blazing Saddles over the weekend. By streaming service of course, just so they know there are some non-snowflakes out there.

While you're at it, check out this WSJ article today:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/justice-de ... jem10point

For those suffering from paywall limitations, here's a quick summary: An Asian-American group sued Yale over discriminatory admissions practices, because the proportion of Asian applicants admitted to Yale is far less than other races (notably Blacks). Further, both whites and Asians are less likely to be admitted than blacks with similar qualifications. The Justice department is investigating and have told Yale that their affirmative action program has be more "narrowly tailored" whatever that means.

This is going to be quite the story....isn't this exactly what affirmative action is all about? Lowering admission standards for applicants of certain favored races? If that proves to be discriminatory as the Asian group claims, this will be quite a turnaround.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:59 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:02 am
Weird, I still have them ipadOS. Well, had them before I deleted the app once again.
Sorry about that! 😂

I have no idea what’s going on with the banners in the Apple News app. In any case, I don’t blame you for deleting the app. The banners (especially the racial justice one) have been obnoxious since Day 1. Just give me the news without pre-chewing and pre-digesting it for me. I can form my own opinions.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:12 pm

The banners apparently came back to Apple News in my iOS app, but the racial justice one has been replaced by this one:
Election 2020
The coronavirus dominates the campaign. Plus, the latest polls and a guide to voting.
Funny how in the banner itself, before you even click on it to read headlines and articles, they’re telling you that the most important issue in the election this year is the coronavirus. Not the economy (slammed by unconstitutional Democratic lockdowns), not the BLM/Antifa riots (encouraged and perpetuated by Democratic mayors, governors, and DAs)... it’s the coronavirus. ::)
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:37 pm

You'd enjoy one of Tim Pool's recent "Timcasts", where he discusses that very issue. That is, the Democrats are trying their hardest to emphasize how badly Trump handled the coronavirus, while drawing attention away from issues that the voters actually say are most important to them: the economy and security/safety.

I'm given to wonder though. What should Trump have done differently? And what have the Democrats done, or wanted to do, that was so much better? I answered a similar question previously: I think Trump should have established guiding principles for lockdowns on a national level, thus codifying something similar to Sweden's approach. This would be a light touch on the economy and stringent measures to protect the elderly and nursing homes. Basically the polar opposite of what New York did.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:19 pm

I’m lovin Tim Pool. I thank Kriegs for that.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:40 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:19 pm
THIS PLEASES ME
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:41 pm

dualstow wrote:
+1
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:51 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:40 pm
dualstow wrote:
THIS PLEASES ME
How would you characterize his views?

Vinny

Views
Pool's political commentary since the 2016 United States presidential election has been variously described as left-wing[36] and right-wing.[37] He has described himself as a social liberal who supported Bernie Sanders in 2016. According to Politico, Pool's "views on issues including social media bias and immigration often align with conservatives'".[38] According to Al Jazeera, "Pool has amplified claims that conservative media endure persecution and bias at the hands of tech companies."[39] On August 24, 2020, Pool announced his support for President Trump in the 2020 United States presidential election.[40]
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."