Biden/Harris Discussion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3315
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:47 pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: Biden/Harris Discussion

Post by Ad Orientem » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:24 pm

technovelist wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:09 pm
Ad Orientem wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:02 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:51 pm
Ad Orientem wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:57 am
More than two dozen former Republican lawmakers endorse Joe Biden on first day of GOP convention

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/24/politics ... index.html
Fair to say this is unprecedented for either side?

Vinny

The only other time I am aware of where there was a significant defection by party regulars in a presidential election was 1896. Many Democrats, including President Cleveland, refused to back the party's nominee William J. Bryan over his support for free silver and debt repudiation. But this is different. These are not policy disagreements. Never in our history have so prominent men and women from both sides of the aisle pronounced a sitting president to be morally, intellectually and temperamentally unfit for office.
Never before in history has the corrupt Washington establishment been so terrified of one man.

And not since the 1930s have so many otherwise rational people fallen under the spell of a demagogue and carnival barker. Trump is a con artist and the GOP has become a political cult made of kooks, cranks and conspiracy theorists, with more than a smattering of outright bigots.
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 6713
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Biden/Harris Discussion

Post by technovelist » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:34 pm

Ad Orientem wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:24 pm
technovelist wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:09 pm
Ad Orientem wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:02 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:51 pm
Ad Orientem wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:57 am
More than two dozen former Republican lawmakers endorse Joe Biden on first day of GOP convention

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/24/politics ... index.html
Fair to say this is unprecedented for either side?

Vinny

The only other time I am aware of where there was a significant defection by party regulars in a presidential election was 1896. Many Democrats, including President Cleveland, refused to back the party's nominee William J. Bryan over his support for free silver and debt repudiation. But this is different. These are not policy disagreements. Never in our history have so prominent men and women from both sides of the aisle pronounced a sitting president to be morally, intellectually and temperamentally unfit for office.
Never before in history has the corrupt Washington establishment been so terrified of one man.

And not since the 1930s have so many otherwise rational people fallen under the spell of a demagogue and carnival barker. Trump is a con artist and the GOP has become a political cult made of kooks, cranks and conspiracy theorists, with more than a smattering of outright bigots.
Of course you have no evidence for any of those attacks, just anger at half the voting public.

With any luck, you'll have another 4 years to rage against that same half of the voting public, when your demented standard-bearer goes down in flames.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
User avatar
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3315
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:47 pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: Biden/Harris Discussion

Post by Ad Orientem » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:53 pm

technovelist wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:34 pm
Ad Orientem wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:24 pm
technovelist wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:09 pm
Ad Orientem wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:02 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:51 pm
Ad Orientem wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:57 am
More than two dozen former Republican lawmakers endorse Joe Biden on first day of GOP convention

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/24/politics ... index.html
Fair to say this is unprecedented for either side?

Vinny

The only other time I am aware of where there was a significant defection by party regulars in a presidential election was 1896. Many Democrats, including President Cleveland, refused to back the party's nominee William J. Bryan over his support for free silver and debt repudiation. But this is different. These are not policy disagreements. Never in our history have so prominent men and women from both sides of the aisle pronounced a sitting president to be morally, intellectually and temperamentally unfit for office.
Never before in history has the corrupt Washington establishment been so terrified of one man.

And not since the 1930s have so many otherwise rational people fallen under the spell of a demagogue and carnival barker. Trump is a con artist and the GOP has become a political cult made of kooks, cranks and conspiracy theorists, with more than a smattering of outright bigots.
Of course you have no evidence for any of those attacks, just anger at half the voting public.

With any luck, you'll have another 4 years to rage against that same half of the voting public, when your demented standard-bearer goes down in flames.

Evidence...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veracity_ ... nald_Trump

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... ald_Trump

https://www.intelligence.senate.gov/sit ... lume2.pdf

https://www.axios.com/trump-associates- ... dcc9.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAnon
User avatar
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 518
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:01 am

Re: Biden/Harris Discussion

Post by shekels » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:06 am

Ad Orientem wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:57 am
More than two dozen former Republican lawmakers endorse Joe Biden on first day of GOP convention

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/24/politics ... index.html
Most of the Rino's have been against Trump since the beginning,
So if asked, most Trump people don't give a tinker's damn about what these people think.

If you are a Biden person is it just justification on their choice.

Given that some Dems have endorsed Trump also.
So if you ask Biden people, Most likely they don't care for the Dems that are supporting Trump ?

P.s. I rate CNN is an opinion show and not news.
I
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 am

Re: Biden/Harris Discussion

Post by glennds » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:17 am

shekels wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:06 am

P.s. I rate CNN is an opinion show and not news.
I
Which, if any current news show do you consider to be news and not opinion?
User avatar
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 518
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:01 am

Re: Biden/Harris Discussion

Post by shekels » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:36 am

glennds wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:17 am
shekels wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:06 am

P.s. I rate CNN is an opinion show and not news.
I
Which, if any current news show do you consider to be news and not opinion?
I don't watch many news shows.
Mostly from a wide variety of sources from the internet

https://rantingly.com/
https://www.citizenfreepress.com/
to name a few.

Note, there maybe some bias but if you search enough you can make up your own mind.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 am

Re: Biden/Harris Discussion

Post by glennds » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:08 am

shekels wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:36 am
glennds wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:17 am
shekels wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:06 am

P.s. I rate CNN is an opinion show and not news.
I
Which, if any current news show do you consider to be news and not opinion?
I don't watch many news shows.
Mostly from a wide variety of sources from the internet

https://rantingly.com/
https://www.citizenfreepress.com/
to name a few.

Note, there maybe some bias but if you search enough you can make up your own mind.
Seriously? Both of these sites were highly pro-Trump link collections. Many of them were to Twitter threads, memes, and other social media posts. Is this your primary source of information?

I wasn't asking sarcastically. I too think CNN is too opinion driven, so I was hoping for a lead to a balanced news outlet. I have found PBS News Hour to be pretty good but I'm still searching.
User avatar
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 518
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:01 am

Re: Biden/Harris Discussion

Post by shekels » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:27 am

glennds wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:08 am
shekels wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:36 am
glennds wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:17 am
shekels wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:06 am

P.s. I rate CNN is an opinion show and not news.
I
Which, if any current news show do you consider to be news and not opinion?
I don't watch many news shows.
Mostly from a wide variety of sources from the internet

https://rantingly.com/
https://www.citizenfreepress.com/
to name a few.

Note, there maybe some bias but if you search enough you can make up your own mind.
Seriously? Both of these sites were highly pro-Trump link collections. Many of them were to Twitter threads, memes, and other social media posts. Is this your primary source of information?

I wasn't asking sarcastically. I too think CNN is too opinion driven, so I was hoping for a lead to a balanced news outlet. I have found PBS News Hour to be pretty good but I'm still searching.

The few times I have seen One America news it has been alright, Most of the News outlets are controlled I think by 6 companies.
The only option I have is to get a wide variety of information and try to decipher it to form my opinion.
Yes,even from Tweeter, sometimes you get to the base of the info, and not 3rd hand info.
It is not as easy as just following a Right leaning or Left leaning source and believe what they say.
It gets easier to weed out BS with different sources.

I do like to read the comments section also. On some sites you can get decent opinions/views.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
User avatar
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 518
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:01 am

Re: Biden/Harris Discussion

Post by shekels » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:36 am

shekels wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:27 am

The few times I have seen One America news it has been alright, Most of the News outlets are controlled I think by 6 companies.
The only option I have is to get a wide variety of information and try to decipher it to form my opinion.
Yes,even from Tweeter, sometimes you get to the base of the info, and not 3rd hand info.
It is not as easy as just following a Right leaning or Left leaning source and believe what they say.
It gets easier to weed out BS with different sources.

I do like to read the comments section also. On some sites you can get decent opinions/views.
Attachments
main-qimg-c51093cc2338e061687bfb2e9bc7d87a.jpeg
main-qimg-c51093cc2338e061687bfb2e9bc7d87a.jpeg (143.41 KiB) Viewed 127 times
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Biden/Harris Discussion

Post by sophie » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:16 pm

I haven't found any news source that I would consider completely unbiased, but Reason Magazine is pretty close.

CNN and the Washington Post are really the bottom of the barrel - the phrase "too opinion-driven" is way too kind. Virtually every headline article is pure opinion, devoid of hard information, and I've caught them simply making stuff up several times. It's like they've long ago given up any pretense of journalism. If any of you are relying on them for news....definitely go find some other sources NOW.
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2067
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Biden/Harris Discussion

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:31 pm

sophie wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:16 pm
I haven't found any news source that I would consider completely unbiased, but Reason Magazine is pretty close.
Thanks for that one. I went through all the headlines without needing to roll my eyes for either too left or too right stories!
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 6713
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Biden/Harris Discussion

Post by technovelist » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:56 pm

sophie wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:16 pm
I haven't found any news source that I would consider completely unbiased, but Reason Magazine is pretty close.

CNN and the Washington Post are really the bottom of the barrel - the phrase "too opinion-driven" is way too kind. Virtually every headline article is pure opinion, devoid of hard information, and I've caught them simply making stuff up several times. It's like they've long ago given up any pretense of journalism. If any of you are relying on them for news....definitely go find some other sources NOW.
Reason magazine used to be very good. Now they also have TDS, so you can't rely on any political articles from them as being even reasonably fair. The editor in chief of Reason, Nick Gillespie, even has the gall to quote Politifact [sic] as an authority on "the lies of Donald Trump".

As for CNN and the Wapo, I agree and would add MSNBC as well as The New York Times and The Atlantic, both of which have stage 4 TDS.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
Post Reply