Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Biden/Harris Discussion

Post by shekels »

vnatale wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:21 am
shekels wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:44 am
vnatale wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:48 am
shekels wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:29 am
Cortopassi wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:07 am If you didn't watch Biden last night, his speech was pretty forceful and emotional and long.

If he is senile or has dementia, it certainly was not showing last night.

Seems to be his own man, for those who believe he is controlled by the far left.

Not looking for snarky comments, I know most here have their own hard set opinions.

But can some non-Biden supporters at least concede it was a decent speech?
I did not watch Biden's speech.
I am waiting for the Debates to watch.
Reason is, I would like to see how he does under the pressure, with not a teleprompter.
How well does he make those snap decisions.
He will have been well rehearsed beforehand, so can he carry it with him during the debates.
One more thing if they have no debates, to me it proves Biden is not up to the task of President.
Those "snap decisions".

That is oftentimes a favored technique during a hiring process. Testing a candidate's abilities to make "snap decisions".

Yet, how often do people need to make "snap decisions"?

It's generally a poor worker or administrator who creates an environment wherein "snap decisions" are constantly being required.

In general, I want someone who makes decisions after considering the relevant information under whatever time constraints exist.

Vinny
I agree snap decisions are not often made, but what if you had to make one?
You would use your insights/ego and you experiences to make the decision.

Closing down borders from China/ Europe because Corona for instance.
When did Trump make that choice compared to Biden?
How much time is needed to protect people and property.

Granted, if you have Time it is best to look and make a reasonable decision from the information available.
I definitely would NOT agree that is an example wherein a "snap decision" was required. Maybe his style of dealing with problems ended up appearing that was his only choice of decision making at that point.

Vinny
Ok, So you do not agree that was a snap decision. How would you characterize the timing of the decision?
Also how did Trumps timing compare to the Timing of Biden if it was a snap decision?

It has just dawned on me that yours and my definition of Snap decision maybe different.
So do you have an example of a snap decision that Trump has made?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

shekels wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:59 am
vnatale wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:21 am
shekels wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:44 am
vnatale wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:48 am
shekels wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:29 am
Cortopassi wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:07 am If you didn't watch Biden last night, his speech was pretty forceful and emotional and long.

If he is senile or has dementia, it certainly was not showing last night.

Seems to be his own man, for those who believe he is controlled by the far left.

Not looking for snarky comments, I know most here have their own hard set opinions.

But can some non-Biden supporters at least concede it was a decent speech?
I did not watch Biden's speech.
I am waiting for the Debates to watch.
Reason is, I would like to see how he does under the pressure, with not a teleprompter.
How well does he make those snap decisions.
He will have been well rehearsed beforehand, so can he carry it with him during the debates.
One more thing if they have no debates, to me it proves Biden is not up to the task of President.
Those "snap decisions".

That is oftentimes a favored technique during a hiring process. Testing a candidate's abilities to make "snap decisions".

Yet, how often do people need to make "snap decisions"?

It's generally a poor worker or administrator who creates an environment wherein "snap decisions" are constantly being required.

In general, I want someone who makes decisions after considering the relevant information under whatever time constraints exist.

Vinny
I agree snap decisions are not often made, but what if you had to make one?
You would use your insights/ego and you experiences to make the decision.

Closing down borders from China/ Europe because Corona for instance.
When did Trump make that choice compared to Biden?
How much time is needed to protect people and property.

Granted, if you have Time it is best to look and make a reasonable decision from the information available.
I definitely would NOT agree that is an example wherein a "snap decision" was required. Maybe his style of dealing with problems ended up appearing that was his only choice of decision making at that point.

Vinny
Ok, So you do not agree that was a snap decision. How would you characterize the timing of the decision?
Also how did Trumps timing compare to the Timing of Biden if it was a snap decision?

It has just dawned on me that yours and my definition of Snap decision maybe different.
So do you have an example of a snap decision that Trump has made?
On the spot I cannot think of a snap decision he has made (though he well may have.).

My main point is that too much emphasis is placed upon someone's ability to "think on their feet" or to make "snap decisions".

The incompetent go about things in deficient ways which then require them to too oftentimes have to "think on their feet" or to make "snap decisions".

With proper planning and preparation most decisions can be made in a thoughtful manner.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

Libertarian666 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:31 pm
WiseOne wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:28 am Yes Biden's speech went well, but that was expected. Not only would it have been carefully rehearsed, but the virtual format gave him a huge advantage. Alzheimer's symptoms tend to fluctuate day to day and are also variable by time of day, so they probably had him record the speech at different times & days and they picked the best one.

I agree with shekel - part of the reason for the push for voting by mail plus the delayed start to the debates is to ensure that many of the ballots are cast before the first debate takes place. A live debate will be a disaster for Biden. He was never any good at debates even before his cognitive decline. Instead, I bet the DNC will do two things. First, they'll insist on a virtual format just like the convention. Second, they'll prepare a set of pre-recorded clips in response to expected debate questions, just as was done with his speech. The debate questions will be carefully orchestrated, since it's usually a mainstream media representative who moderates and of course they'll be only too happy to tailor the debate in Biden's favor.
You are being too kind in saying that they will have clips in response to "expected" debate questions. They will give him the questions in advance so he can record answers, then they will play those recorded answers back rather than making him answer in real time.

But I don't think it will work, because of course Trump knows that's what they're going to try, and he will insist on asking his own questions that won't have recorded answers, thus exposing the lie.
Do you have any "facts" on his cognitive decline? Not from some conspiracy website?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

From another forum I read. I pretty much see it this way too,

I think people are genuinely exhausted by the left in ways that they (the left) just doesn’t get. Cancel culture, wokism, identitarianism, and a media that purposely puts issues of race at the forefront for the purposes of clickbait. There’s the #walkaway movement that has gained huge traction, but has barely been covered. Rasmussen has Trump gaining big time, and they were right the last time. Add to that the crumbling of Democratic cities like NYC and states like California as well as the continued rioting and protesting. Trump is pushing law and order for a reason. Add to that the ad campaign that they are doing on platforms like Youtube and the WAPO, buying up the most expensive add space.

Check some of these out, the first I think is the most powerful:
https://youtu.be/Kwhnao15rmI
https://youtu.be/QALM6oswCmY
https://youtu.be/9kvr0SbtE4I
https://youtu.be/flf4OhQ2Zhc
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Cortopassi wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:52 am
WiseOne wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:28 am Yes Biden's speech went well, but that was expected. Not only would it have been carefully rehearsed, but the virtual format gave him a huge advantage. Alzheimer's symptoms tend to fluctuate day to day and are also variable by time of day, so they probably had him record the speech at different times & days and they picked the best one.

I agree with shekel - part of the reason for the push for voting by mail plus the delayed start to the debates is to ensure that many of the ballots are cast before the first debate takes place. A live debate will be a disaster for Biden. He was never any good at debates even before his cognitive decline. Instead, I bet the DNC will do two things. First, they'll insist on a virtual format just like the convention. Second, they'll prepare a set of pre-recorded clips in response to expected debate questions, just as was done with his speech. The debate questions will be carefully orchestrated, since it's usually a mainstream media representative who moderates and of course they'll be only too happy to tailor the debate in Biden's favor.
Are you saying you don't think the speech was live?! There were reporters in the room.
Did you ever see Biden and the reporters in the same frame? I bet it was "simulive", where the main part of the speech is pre-recorded, and then it switches seamlessly from the broadcast to the live event. All Biden has to do at the live event is wave and smile.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

WiseOne wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:11 pm
Cortopassi wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:52 am

Are you saying you don't think the speech was live?! There were reporters in the room.
Did you ever see Biden and the reporters in the same frame? I bet it was "simulive", where the main part of the speech is pre-recorded, and then it switches seamlessly from the broadcast to the live event. All Biden has to do at the live event is wave and smile.
Wow WiseOne, just wow. Do you believe we went to the moon or was that faked too?

Look at the pbs news hour video. I did just because you made me crazy enough to look. At the end of the speech, they do do a cut to where his wife comes out, but then look at some further closeups. He touched his hair earlier and messed it up a little. It is messed in the same way.

Can you point me to any reputable news source that has even brought this up?
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

Mountaineer wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:04 pm From another forum I read. I pretty much see it this way too,

I think people are genuinely exhausted by the left in ways that they (the left) just doesn’t get. Cancel culture, wokism, identitarianism, and a media that purposely puts issues of race at the forefront for the purposes of clickbait.

What is wokism? When I read it I was thinking stir fried noodles. Is this the left pushing Asian food? Is that what Pence was talking about with Kamala Harris? Canceling my vintage American cast iron skillet?

Good God man. When will this all end?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

glennds wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:32 am
Mountaineer wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:04 pm From another forum I read. I pretty much see it this way too,

I think people are genuinely exhausted by the left in ways that they (the left) just doesn’t get. Cancel culture, wokism, identitarianism, and a media that purposely puts issues of race at the forefront for the purposes of clickbait.

What is wokism? When I read it I was thinking stir fried noodles. Is this the left pushing Asian food? Is that what Pence was talking about with Kamala Harris? Canceling my vintage American cast iron skillet?

Wokism is another one of those "ism" words frequently thrown around by the left that indicates what they worship. Marxism, communism, environmentalism, humanism, barbarianism, etc. I tend to prefer "ity" words like Christianity, sanity, humanity, civility, reality, ability, etc. ;)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... ing-origin

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ism
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

Mountaineer wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:03 am
glennds wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:32 am

Wokism is another one of those "ism" words frequently thrown around by the left that indicates what they worship. Marxism, communism, environmentalism, humanism, barbarianism, etc. I tend to prefer "ity" words like Christianity, sanity, humanity, civility, reality, ability, etc. ;)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... ing-origin

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ism

Oh my gosh, thanks for explaining and straightening me out.
I almost started a firestorm on social media. Me and my fellow chefs might have been protesting in the streets with our Lodge and Griswold pans. Could you imagine hitting a cop with a cast iron pan. Now THAT's old school.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg »

@glennds

Now that was funny...we practice wokism about once a week. My wife makes a killer teriyaki stir fry.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Cortopassi - a year ago I wouldn't have questioned it, but things are so crazy now, I just assume that anything that's possible is actually being done. "Simulive" is how large events are being conducted everywhere - I'm on the planning committee for a large international conference that's doing exactly this.

I assumed simulive because if I were trying to ensure a patent Biden candidacy that's exactly how I would have done it. A cognitive misstep during that speech would have been a disaster. I would not at all be surprised if this were not mentioned by any news outlets, because a) how would they know, and b) you must realize they are essentially part of the Biden campaign team, right?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

WiseOne wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:02 am Cortopassi - a year ago I wouldn't have questioned it, but things are so crazy now, I just assume that anything that's possible is actually being done. "Simulive" is how large events are being conducted everywhere - I'm on the planning committee for a large international conference that's doing exactly this.

I assumed simulive because if I were trying to ensure a patent Biden candidacy that's exactly how I would have done it. A cognitive misstep during that speech would have been a disaster. I would not at all be surprised if this were not mentioned by any news outlets, because a) how would they know, and b) you must realize they are essentially part of the Biden campaign team, right?
Yeah, I think this is why there need to be real debates. You all know I plan on voting for Biden this year (again, in IL, why am I bothering). The only possible thing that could change that is if he does look out of it in debates.

We can debate on whether there will be live debates or not, but let's not. Let's just see where it goes.

FYI, a few days ago my wife and I did get a mail in ballot application. You needed to go to a website (or mail the form in), enter a few personal pieces of information ideally no one else easily has, and done. Took 30 seconds. I'll probably still vote in person, but I wanted to see the process. At least in IL, they aren't just blanket mailed out to people.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Never-ending election: Trump says November's results might not be known 'for weeks, months, maybe ever' because of mail-in ballots - then claims only he can save the American Dream from 'total anarchy, madness and chaos'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -ever.html
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

Did Joe Biden really deliver that speech live? Probably not

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/20 ... z6VrXWYioY
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

Ad Orientem wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:11 am Never-ending election: Trump says November's results might not be known 'for weeks, months, maybe ever' because of mail-in ballots - then claims only he can save the American Dream from 'total anarchy, madness and chaos'

Yup, this to me is scary as heck.

And that folks here seem to be fine with what is happening. He is saving our democracy by subverting it.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

There are some people that believe it wasn't even Biden.
What we watched was a AI hologram driven by a Google machine learning engine.

The next election might be JFK running against Abraham Lincoln. With FDR and Ronald Reagan as their respective running mates.

Or maybe we'll see Trump debating IBM Watson very soon.
Last edited by glennds on Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Kbg wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:13 am @glennds

Now that was funny...we practice wokism about once a week. My wife makes a killer teriyaki stir fry.
Nothing is better than a killer teriyaki woke woker. O0
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

For those of you somewhat familiar with symptoms of dementia, especially Parkinsons, look carefully at some of Biden's pictures facing the camera in the debate. My wife saw it and immediately said "he has the stare". My mom had Parkinsons and we became way too familiar with "the stare". :(
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Mountaineer wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:33 am https://spectator.us/joe-biden-republican-convention/

Interesting take.
Yep.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

So I’ve recently heard a theory that if the presidential election results are delayed beyond some date (end of January, I think?), e.g. due to lawsuits, then the Speaker of the House — Nancy Pelosi — would become interim president by default.

Has anyone else heard this theory? I haven’t looked into it much yet.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Ad Orientem wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:11 am Never-ending election: Trump says November's results might not be known 'for weeks, months, maybe ever' because of mail-in ballots - then claims only he can save the American Dream from 'total anarchy, madness and chaos'

I also think there's a very high likelihood that the mail-order ballot plan will become a complete fiasco. Better even than the hanging chads of 2000.

I'm guessing that throwing money at the problem isn't going to prevent it. It's just what happens when an already strained, highly regulated, and poorly run Postal Service suddenly gets hit with an enormous uptick in mail volume.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

WiseOne wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:51 pm

I also think there's a very high likelihood that the mail-order ballot plan will become a complete fiasco. Better even than the hanging chads of 2000.

I'm guessing that throwing money at the problem isn't going to prevent it. It's just what happens when an already strained, highly regulated, and poorly run Postal Service suddenly gets hit with an enormous uptick in mail volume.
Not sure if uptick is greater than, say, Christmas season.

Of course, taking 10% (down from originally planned 20%) of sorting machines offline is going to make things worse.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Dieter wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:34 pm
WiseOne wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:51 pm

Not sure if uptick is greater than, say, Christmas season.

Of course, taking 10% (down from originally planned 20%) of sorting machines offline is going to make things worse.
Not sure why the big to do. At Christmas, PO handles >1 billion pieces. According to one study, if 1/2 of voters do by mail, that's 153 million pieces. With less mail volume in general lately because of the pandemic, this volume should not be an issue.

And I assume it will be decently spread out. As I indicated somewhere else on here, I already registered to get my mail in ballot. I assume that will come with plenty of time left before Nov 3, and I would send it in basically immediately.

I know for the past few months my junk mail level has dropped greatly.