Moderator: Global Moderator

Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Biden/Harris Discussion

Post by Lonestar »

WiseOne wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:58 pm
Lonestar wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:47 pm
WiseOne wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:03 pm I remember that Trump leaned on the FDA to authorize hcq use for prospective randomized clinical trials. But when reports of cardiac arrhythmias surfaced, the trials were stopped. There are a number of retrospective, correlative studies with mixed results but these aren’t helpful.

If Trump had ordered the FDA to reverse its decision, you can imagine how that would have been reported. Pretty sure the media would have trotted out the H word. So I don’t think he had much choice really.
I would think prospective studies, directed towards the indication of Covid, would take a very long time
Not so. A couple of months at most, if conducted in hospitals crammed with COVID patients. No industry sponsor needed because the drugs are generic and cheap. In fact, I'm involved with a trial involving a generic drug (unrelated to COVID) right now, aiming to recruit just 10 patients. Research faculty and divisions generally have existing funds that could have been raided to pay for the HCQ & placebo pills, or you could have written a quickie NIH administrative supplement. IRB protocols were being super-expedited taking maybe 2 or 3 days to approval. If there's a big effect you don't need more than a handful of patients (maybe 30 or 40) in each arm - the trials requiring thousands of patients are because the drug has a minimal effect or only a small number of people are expected to have the outcome you want to avoid (e.g. death). That number would have been recruited in about a day in NYC back in March, where the daily new case counts hit 7,000. Then you just wait for outcomes, which is a matter of a few weeks. Given the situation, a report at 1 or 2 weeks, e.g. # recovered vs. still on vent vs. died, would have been appropriate.

If I were an infectious disease faculty member that's totally what I would have done. Sure, you could follow up with a bigger study if the small one was inconclusive, and you would have needed a bigger study (maybe 100 in each arm) if you wanted to see what happened when you gave it to, say, members of vulnerable populations at initial presentation.

I remember thinking that someone must be doing all these things at my hospital. I'm incredulous that this wasn't the case. There were some retrospective studies but those are honestly worthless for all kinds of reasons.
WiseOne, your comments are interesting. So are you saying a small study in a reputable institution involving 40 patients or less, testing a generic drug, can be submitted to the FDA with the possibility of approval for a new indication?

If that is the case, from the anecdotal reports I've read, it looks like HCQ shouldn't have much trouble getting approved for Covid treatment.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

shekels wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:15 am Mandatory buybacks is just a another way of saying confiscation.
Yes it is but even more worrisome than that she promised that if elected she would give the congress 100 days to pass gun control legislation or she would do it by executive order.

I wonder how well that would work out. When I heard she was Jamaican I thought she grew up there but I've subsequently learned she grew up in Berkeley, CA. Still, she probably didn't have much exposure to those bumper stickers that said I'll give up my gun when they pry my cold, dead hands from it.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

pp4me wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:45 pm
shekels wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:15 am Mandatory buybacks is just a another way of saying confiscation.
Yes it is but even more worrisome than that she promised that if elected she would give the congress 100 days to pass gun control legislation or she would do it by executive order.

I wonder how well that would work out. When I heard she was Jamaican I thought she grew up there but I've subsequently learned she grew up in Berkeley, CA. Still, she probably didn't have much exposure to those bumper stickers that said I'll give up my gun when they pry my cold, dead hands from it.
The only good news is that even this Supreme Court would explain to her that she couldn't do that.
The bad news is that they are already planning to pack the court if they get the Senate.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

vnatale wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:21 pm It's not all about policies. It's about hiring someone to do a job.

In prior campaigns who campaigned on policies on how they'd handle a pandemic, a financial crisis, a 9/11?

Therefore I want to hire someone to do the job who has the intelligence and competence and diligence to get the job done.

Trump seems to fail on all counts.
What in your opinion are the most egregious examples of Trump's failure of leadership? What evidence can you offer to show that Biden would do a better job in those situations?

While I agree that's it's not all about policies, policies are the things that are getting implemented while everyone is distracted by the crisis du jour. So they are absolutely important (in my opinion) and shouldn't just be dismissed.

Are you (or anyone else reading this) in favor of the policies being proposed or supported by Biden/Harris?
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

flyingpylon wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:29 pm
vnatale wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:21 pm It's not all about policies. It's about hiring someone to do a job.

In prior campaigns who campaigned on policies on how they'd handle a pandemic, a financial crisis, a 9/11?

Therefore I want to hire someone to do the job who has the intelligence and competence and diligence to get the job done.

What in your opinion are the most egregious examples of Trump's failure of leadership? What evidence can you offer to show that Biden would do a better job in those situations?

While I agree that's it's not all about policies, policies are the things that are getting implemented while everyone is distracted by the crisis du jour. So they are absolutely important (in my opinion) and shouldn't just be dismissed.

Are you (or anyone else reading this) in favor of the policies being proposed or supported by Biden/Harris?
At least here in this forum we can ask vnatale to give specific examples of what mistakes Trump made and what he thinks should have been done different.

We'll need to give it some time but so far it seems to be the strategy of the Biden/Harris campaign to not answer any such questions. Looks like they plan on sending Kamala out to rip on Trump with nothing but generalities and then refuse to answer any questions from the media.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MarketIfTouched wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:04 pm
...There was nothing to suggest he'd be qualified to do the job and his performance has just proven his how unqualified he was...
Because anyone could design, build, pay taxes on, and manage a 98 story building in downtown Chicago?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_Int ... _(Chicago)
He's just the BEST! Is it possible anyone had tax losses that exceeded his??!!

Trump Had Losses of $1.17 Billion Over a Decade, NYT Reports

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... yt-reports

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

flyingpylon wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:29 pm

My examples would be quickly dismissed so no sense in listing any. As bad as Biden is, I could hardly imagine him doing any worse than Trump.

I'm an independent. Today I listened to a lot of Democratic Attorney Generals talking among themselves for about an hour. Not a lot of what their priorities were thrilled me.

But for me, Trump and the Republican party are generally bad news.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

vnatale wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:53 pm

Vinny
This is the reason they want Trumps tax Records..
They will use the records as propaganda to further there agenda of hate against the Wealthy..
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

shekels wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:03 pm

Vinny
They will use the records as propaganda to further there agenda of hate against the Wealthy..
Losses of $1.17 Billion over ten years suggest what type of competence?

Vinny
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

flyingpylon wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:21 pm Wow, seven pages of... not much.

Who can actually make a case FOR Biden/Harris?

Sorry. I am all out of ideas, I can not think of any good reason that Harris or Biden would make a good President.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

vnatale wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:05 pm

Vinny

Vinny
Dude that is Business (s), or are you suggesting that the Billion is from his Personal assets?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

shekels wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:08 pm

Vinny

Vinny
Dude that is Business (s), or are you suggesting that the Billion is from his Personal assets?
Of course it's business. Therefore, I again ask, what type of competence did this represent for an individual to have such HUGE, tremendous losses over a ten year period? Can you think of anyone else who had had such an "achievement"?

Vinny
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

vnatale wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:11 pm

Vinny

Vinny
Of course it's business. Therefore, I again ask, what type of competence did this represent for an individual to have such HUGE, tremendous losses over a ten year period? Can you think of anyone else who had had such an "achievement"?

Vinny
Sorry i don"t travel in those circles.
But google Largest corporate annual losses of all time and see what you find.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

shekels wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:18 pm
vnatale wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:11 pm

Vinny

Vinny

Vinny
Sorry i don"t travel in those circles.
But google Largest corporate annual losses of all time and see what you find.
His tax returns do not represent corporate annual losses. They represent his share of the losses, which would come from either Sub S corporations and partnerships. Doubt he has an sole proprietorships but who knows. Sub S corporations are limited to 75 shareholders so we aren't talking about large entities with that relatively few amount of shareholders. Therefore, Trump again was at his absolute "Best"! Only this time it was the Best at losing money!

Vinny
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude »

He's done nothing to take the printing press away from the bankers
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Lonestar wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:31 pm
WiseOne wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:58 pm
Lonestar wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:47 pm
WiseOne wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:03 pm I remember that Trump leaned on the FDA to authorize hcq use for prospective randomized clinical trials. But when reports of cardiac arrhythmias surfaced, the trials were stopped. There are a number of retrospective, correlative studies with mixed results but these aren’t helpful.

If Trump had ordered the FDA to reverse its decision, you can imagine how that would have been reported. Pretty sure the media would have trotted out the H word. So I don’t think he had much choice really.
I would think prospective studies, directed towards the indication of Covid, would take a very long time
Not so. A couple of months at most, if conducted in hospitals crammed with COVID patients. No industry sponsor needed because the drugs are generic and cheap. In fact, I'm involved with a trial involving a generic drug (unrelated to COVID) right now, aiming to recruit just 10 patients. Research faculty and divisions generally have existing funds that could have been raided to pay for the HCQ & placebo pills, or you could have written a quickie NIH administrative supplement. IRB protocols were being super-expedited taking maybe 2 or 3 days to approval. If there's a big effect you don't need more than a handful of patients (maybe 30 or 40) in each arm - the trials requiring thousands of patients are because the drug has a minimal effect or only a small number of people are expected to have the outcome you want to avoid (e.g. death). That number would have been recruited in about a day in NYC back in March, where the daily new case counts hit 7,000. Then you just wait for outcomes, which is a matter of a few weeks. Given the situation, a report at 1 or 2 weeks, e.g. # recovered vs. still on vent vs. died, would have been appropriate.

If I were an infectious disease faculty member that's totally what I would have done. Sure, you could follow up with a bigger study if the small one was inconclusive, and you would have needed a bigger study (maybe 100 in each arm) if you wanted to see what happened when you gave it to, say, members of vulnerable populations at initial presentation.

I remember thinking that someone must be doing all these things at my hospital. I'm incredulous that this wasn't the case. There were some retrospective studies but those are honestly worthless for all kinds of reasons.
WiseOne, your comments are interesting. So are you saying a small study in a reputable institution involving 40 patients or less, testing a generic drug, can be submitted to the FDA with the possibility of approval for a new indication?

If that is the case, from the anecdotal reports I've read, it looks like HCQ shouldn't have much trouble getting approved for Covid treatment.
The FDA has nothing to do with it. It's already an approved drug, and the FDA (at Trump's urging) had already approved it for off-label use. The clinical trial, if it shows an effect, gives clinicians the justification they need to use it off label. The FDA is not involved at any stage of the clinical trial - that's between the investigators, the IRB panel, and the funding agencies.

If they wished, the FDA could have decided to add COVID to the list of indications, but that wouldn't have made any difference practically speaking. That's because drugs are used off-label all the time, whether the FDA blesses it or not. In my specialty a large proportion of the patients I see are being treated that way. It's only a problem if the patient decides you did something bad and wants to sue you. Which is highly unlikely in the COVID scenario.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Vinny

Vinny
I would say excellent competence. Tax losses are part of how you make money in real estate. For example, a commercial building is depreciated over 37.5 years, and you get to claim the annual amount as a "loss" which offsets earnings but doesn't actually cost you anything. Also, landlords with multiple buildings manage things so that some of them produce losses at any given time, for the same reason. Per everything I've read, this is why there are so many empty storefronts in Manhattan - the landlords are benefiting from the tax losses, given the high tax environment, and have no incentive to reduce rents.

Why don't you do a little reading on real estate tax structures before you make such statements. There's a reason why so many early retired folks are going for real estate as part of their retirement income, as opposed to simply investing all their savings in the markets.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

WiseOne wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:58 am

Vinny

Vinny
I would say excellent competence. Tax losses are part of how you make money in real estate. For example, a commercial building is depreciated over 37.5 years, and you get to claim the annual amount as a "loss" which offsets earnings but doesn't actually cost you anything. Also, landlords with multiple buildings manage things so that some of them produce losses at any given time, for the same reason. Per everything I've read, this is why there are so many empty storefronts in Manhattan - the landlords are benefiting from the tax losses, given the high tax environment, and have no incentive to reduce rents.

Why don't you do a little reading on real estate tax structures before you make such statements. There's a reason why so many early retired folks are going for real estate as part of their retirement income, as opposed to simply investing all their savings in the markets.
Sorry. How many corporate or entity tax returns have you prepared?

I'll try to explain it to you simply.

For cash I buy a building for $1,000,000. Pretend I hold it for 20 years and am able to fully depreciate it for tax purposes over that same 20 years, giving me a depreciation expense of $1,000,000.

Over those 20 years I had $2,000,000 in income and $2,000,000 in expenses (not counting depreciation expense).

So I break even on the expenses aside from depreciation. From that I have NO extra money in my pocket.

The only way I have a tax loss from this is if my building is now worth ZERO. Which means that tax loss of $1,000,000 was due to me getting nothing back from my initial $1,000,000 investment. Therefore, my tax loss of $1,000,000 equals a real cash loss of $1,000,000.

Feel free to explain to me with some detail how: "Tax losses are part of how you make money in real estate."

Vinny
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

This is a Great reason WHY Biden's handlers will not let him take questions Live from the press or anyone else.

Even if he gets the question beforehand, Biden has NO Teleprompter to go by.

Now let's see if the Joe Biden's Handlers let him out of the basement to Debate Pres.Trump.

Got Corn POP ? Popcorn
https://youtu.be/YGJGI1d96Ns
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

vnatale wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:18 am

Vinny

Vinny

For cash I buy a building for $1,000,000. Pretend I hold it for 20 years and am able to fully depreciate it for tax purposes over that same 20 years, giving me a depreciation expense of $1,000,000.

Over those 20 years I had $2,000,000 in income and $2,000,000 in expenses (not counting depreciation expense).

So I break even on the expenses aside from depreciation. From that I have NO extra money in my pocket.

The only way I have a tax loss from this is if my building is now worth ZERO. Which means that tax loss of $1,000,000 was due to me getting nothing back from my initial $1,000,000 investment. Therefore, my tax loss of $1,000,000 equals a real cash loss of $1,000,000.

Feel free to explain to me with some detail how: "Tax losses are part of how you make money in real estate."

Vinny

How many Businesses/Corp does Trump have or had over the course of the 10 Years?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

boglerdude wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:31 am He's done nothing to take the printing press away from the bankers
They can't stop. It is addictive.
What would happen if the Illusion of the Fed Reserve system was shattered.

But I agree, it's Graft that leads to Slavery and should be dealt with.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

You know, this was supposed to be a Biden Harris discussion, but of course, like everything, gets coopted by Trump stuff.

Hey, how about that very fine lawyer that the Donald just happens to read about Harris possibly not being able to run for VP? How did that work out this time? Not so well. Campaign guys needed to hem and haw on the talk shows this morning.

Said Trump is not going to pursue this angle....but would not ever just flat come out and say she is qualified to run. So keep a little doubt in people’s heads.... I’m sure if I sat down with my dad for an hour this would probably come up...

With the post office, COVID, the conventions and debates, going to be a interesting two months.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds »

Vinny
Under this scenario, your basis in the building would be zero, so yes, you would have a cash loss of $1 million representing the difference between your purchase price and net sales price (we'll ignore selling and closing costs). The net gain would be $0 because your basis was zero and the sales price was zero. However you would owe ordinary income on the recapture of the accumulated depreciation which would be taxed at ordinary income rates. So in the end it would be a taxable transaction and a pretty bad investment, but then it is highly unusual that a real estate asset would drop in value over 20 years by 100%.

WiseOne's point may have been that in the intervening 20 years of your example, there was an annual loss for tax purposes due to the depreciation deduction claimed each year of the holding period which is a benefit to the taxpayer even if not being totally used and carried forward. I don't like the term "making money", but rather I would call the depreciation deduction a tax deferral feature. HOWEVER, a sophisticated real estate investor like Trump would surely continue to roll the (gain and) accumulated depreciation forward by engaging in a 1031 transaction rather than a conventional sale and in this way perpetually defer the recapture. Not to mention estate planning techniques that allow basis step-up and discounting for estate tax purposes, which "people say" was used extensively when his father died. There are also techniques like cost segregation that can allow for acceleration of certain depreciation classes, and changes to basis due to renovations and other capital investment in the property. The list goes on.

Now imagine your scenario but the building didn't depreciate by 100% and instead appreciated by 5%/year and let's say it was generating a positive cash flow of about $50K/year. I think these numbers are more realistic. At the end of the period, your building would be worth about $2.5MM and you would have earned $1MM in operating cash flow against which you would have incurred no taxes. If you did a 1031 exchange, then you would roll forward and defer your $1.5MM gain and the $1MM in accumulated depreciation and start all over again in a new real estate investment with your carried forward basis. And if you wanted to get your hands on some of your unrealized gain in the form of cash, you would do so by refinancing the building at the appreciated values on a cash-out amount which would not be taxable because it's debt. Very convenient in a time of declining interest rates too.

Not implying that any of this is negative. Congress has permitted these tax features under the Tax Code to create incentive for real estate investment which in turn stimulates the economy.

This is why I feel headlines about Trump's losses can be misleading. This said, I do recall he had some stunning business failures in the 90's most famously involving Atlantic City casinos, so some of his losses may not be so shrewd. Like everything with Trump, there is a case to be made in both directions.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

shekels wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:21 am

Vinny

Vinny

Vinny

How many Businesses/Corp does Trump have or had over the course of the 10 Years?
From what I have read, 100's. But what is behind that question? And, in my scenario above, that $1,000,000 tax loss generated ZERO positive cash flow. In the worst case it would be a $1,000,000 negative cash flow if the building was purchased for cash. And, in the best case a break even cash flow if all the money was borrowed to financed the purchase.

Therefore, where is the great advantages of investing in real estate in the scenario I drew?

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

glennds wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:51 pm

Vinny
Under this scenario, your basis in the building would be zero, so yes, you would have a cash loss of $1 million representing the difference between your purchase price and net sales price (we'll ignore selling and closing costs). The net gain would be $0 because your basis was zero and the sales price was zero. However you would owe ordinary income on the recapture of the accumulated depreciation which would be taxed at ordinary income rates. So in the end it would be a taxable transaction and a pretty bad investment, but then it is highly unusual that a real estate asset would drop in value over 20 years by 100%.

WiseOne's point may have been that in the intervening 20 years of your example, there was an annual loss for tax purposes due to the depreciation deduction claimed each year of the holding period which is a benefit to the taxpayer even if not being totally used and carried forward. I don't like the term "making money", but rather I would call the depreciation deduction a tax deferral feature. HOWEVER, a sophisticated real estate investor like Trump would surely continue to roll the (gain and) accumulated depreciation forward by engaging in a 1031 transaction rather than a conventional sale and in this way perpetually defer the recapture. Not to mention estate planning techniques that allow basis step-up and discounting for estate tax purposes, which "people say" was used extensively when his father died. There are also techniques like cost segregation that can allow for acceleration of certain depreciation classes, and changes to basis due to renovations and other capital investment in the property. The list goes on.

Now imagine your scenario but the building didn't depreciate by 100% and instead appreciated by 5%/year and let's say it was generating a positive cash flow of about $50K/year. I think these numbers are more realistic. At the end of the period, your building would be worth about $2.5MM and you would have earned $1MM in operating cash flow against which you would have incurred no taxes. If you did a 1031 exchange, then you would roll forward and defer your $1.5MM gain and the $1MM in accumulated depreciation and start all over again in a new real estate investment with your carried forward basis. And if you wanted to get your hands on some of your unrealized gain in the form of cash, you would do so by refinancing the building at the appreciated values on a cash-out amount which would not be taxable because it's debt. Very convenient in a time of declining interest rates too.

Not implying that any of this is negative. Congress has permitted these tax features under the Tax Code to create incentive for real estate investment which in turn stimulates the economy.

This is why I feel headlines about Trump's losses can be misleading. This said, I do recall he had some stunning business failures in the 90's most famously involving Atlantic City casinos, so some of his losses may not be so shrewd. Like everything with Trump, there is a case to be made in both directions.
It's been a while since I did any tax returns regarding any of this so I'm somewhat rusty on my knowledge regarding all tax laws for real estate.

Referring to your first paragraph I don't believe that you'd owe any ordinary income on the recapture of the accumulated depreciation.

Assume that I'd sold the building for $2,500,000 and was not considered a "real estate professional". I'd have had a gain of $1,500,000. Further assume I'd held it for over a year. Normally, for a capital asset you'd think the whole $1,500,000 would then be long-term capital gains. Instead, the long-term capital gains would only be $500,000 with the remaining $1,000,000 being ordinary income due to as you describe above -- recapture of accumulated depreciation.

Therefore, my memory says that the recapture only comes in to play WHEN you actually have a gain.

Yes. After I wrote my simple example I thought that for certain someone like Trump would have engaged in section 1031 or like kind exchanges. However, those are not so easy since you have to find a partner to swap properties with, its value has to exceed the value of your property, and, finally, a lot of deadlines must be met to be effective.

But as you pointed out, it's all tax deferral. If you are not gifting it and you are "cashing" out of your real estate investments as part of your retirement plan, then you are now going to finally pay taxes on all those deferred gains.

I need to think more about the estate tax purposes since I have much less familiarity with that aspect of tax law.

Cost segregation is generally done to either expense what would otherwise be a capital asset or to achieve a shorter life for the capital expenditure. I think this is all just a nuance to the basic concept of depreciation for real estate.

Let me think about your imagine scenario.

If it generated a positive cash flow of $50,000 a year then this would be the imagine scenario:

Income $2,000,000
Expenses $2,000,000
Depreciation $1,000,000 (part of the $1,000,000 of Expenses)

Income - Expenses = $0
Adding back depreciation gives $1,000,000 in cash flow (albeit not counting the original $1,000,000 you invested)

But I'm now NOT generating a tax loss of $1,000,000. I'm break even. So I'm not seeing how this imagine scenario fits with Trump having a ten year loss of in excess of $1 billion?

What your imagine scenario does is allow one to NOT lose money and generate a lot of income that is deferred. That was NOT the hypothetical Trump scenario which started this particular discussion.

Getting back to the estate part you brought up. It looks like Trump was up to his typical tricks of fraud - by severely undervaluing the value of the property transferred to him (and his siblings) by then, correspondingly, severely reducing the gift tax.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... trump.html

Vinny