Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Carnivore Diet Experiment

Post by pp4me » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:57 pm

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:33 pm
pp4me wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:59 am
In the documentary "The Magic Pill" about the keto diet there was a woman who was a vegan of the strictest kind who bought a piece of land where she intended to grow all of her own fruits and vegetables for food. So she went to a local store to buy some fertilizer and decided to look at what exactly was in the fertilizer, only to discover that one of the ingredients was "blood meal". And that's when the light went off for her. It takes dead animals to grow fruits and vegetables - it's simply nature's way on planet earth. So she went out and bought some chickens and other animals and changed her diet.
The fertilizer in my garden is strictly the leaves from trees on my property. Two friends came by the other night and they could not believe how huge my kale plants were.

Vinny
I threw away about 20 bags of leaves from the oak trees in my backyard this year. My grandfather, that I grew up next to, would have considered that crazy since he got most of his fertilizer from "compost heaps" supplemented with dead fish caught from the traps in our pond (my mother always complained about the smell).

Still, when you are enjoying your kale I think you probably need to give some thanks to dead animals somewhere along the way.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:05 pm

pp4me wrote:
In the documentary "The Magic Pill" about the keto diet there was a woman who was a vegan of the strictest kind who bought a piece of land where she intended to grow all of her own fruits and vegetables for food. So she went to a local store to buy some fertilizer and decided to look at what exactly was in the fertilizer, only to discover that one of the ingredients was "blood meal". And that's when the light went off for her. It takes dead animals to grow fruits and vegetables - it's simply nature's way on planet earth. So she went out and bought some chickens and other animals and changed her diet.
ha! Very interesting.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:10 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:05 pm
pp4me wrote:
ha! Very interesting.
The ecosphere has a natural cycle!

Best to have a balanced diet that is neutral and prepared for all possible outcomes!

;D
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:39 pm

At age 27, I ate a vegetarian diet through the winter. When I was in my 20s, I routinely ran 3 to 5 miles per day during warm weather. On a mid-March day, following my new "no meat" diet, I went out for a 2 mile jog to begin the new season. The jog was glorious. I raced around the track. In the prior decades of March warm-ups, I thought I would collapse each year due to the effects of my ingested crap during the cold weather. No breathing capacity and a lot of cramps and twinges occurred each spring start.

That particular vegetarian March day, the only thing different was the cessation of meat consumption. I ate all the chips, etc., and drank all that beer through the winter months.

I figure there's a pretty good correlation here, at least for exercise. And, yes, the ancestors/cave people did pursue a meat diet.

Any thoughts and opinions?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:56 pm

Did you ever have to go to the bathroom in the middle of a run?
RIP Marcello Gandini
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:02 pm

Bathroom visit? No! I imagine dehydration stopped that inconvenience. But I ate a stack of pancakes once before a run and felt like death-warmed-over. Do not do that.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:03 am

😂
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:35 am

During a long formation run back in the day, one of my squad said had to take a shit, so we ignored him and kept running. A bit later, he's like no really, I'm starting to shit my pants, so our NCO had us get down into a security perimeter downhill from the jogging track while he dropped one, then put him in the back of the group and rolled on. No big deal.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:10 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:35 am
During a long formation run back in the day, one of my squad said had to take a shit, so we ignored him and kept running. A bit later, he's like no really, I'm starting to shit my pants, so our NCO had us get down into a security perimeter downhill from the jogging track while he dropped one, then put him in the back of the group and rolled on. No big deal.
For the men on the landing boats for Omaha Beach on D-Day they had no choice but to do it in their pants. A far less negative experience for what far too many of them experienced once they either got close to land or landed.

Last week read an entire book on that day on Omaha Beach. Horrifying what happened to so many.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:18 am

For sure. I'd imagine the military has more stories with poop as an important element than any other endeavor.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:26 am

We visited Normandy in 2017, just days before D-Day ceremonies. Even the anticipatory build up to the day was fascinating. Our guide rented his whole B & B to his buddies from the Netherlands Airborne. A photo of DW with the paratroopers and her wearing one of their helmets was great- and they were all taller as DW is 5'4".
Would like to return. Same guide, same situation but this virus....

BUT these stories don't get to my question re no meat eating and my galloping through a mid-March afternoon. Any correlation between Veggie-ness and a better jogging experience? Thank you.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:31 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:35 am
I always fast before even taking a brisk walk if it’s going to be a long one because I hate even having the urge when I’m halfway out. A friend found out and she sent me an article by a woman who pooped while running. It said that the very act of running can stimulate a person to do so.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:02 am

Now remember, before any final, take a pre-game dump

Van Wilder was such a good movie. Ryan Reynolds is a funny motherfucker. I had something similar happen to me when I was taking the ACT.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:04 am

bedraggled wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:26 am
BUT these stories don't get to my question re no meat eating and my galloping through a mid-March afternoon. Any correlation between Veggie-ness and a better jogging experience? Thank you.
If it feels good, just keep doing it. Some endurance people do better on a low carb diet, some do better on high carbs.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:23 pm

There are a bunch of articles in the medical literature about this. Athletes are switching to a low carb diet because it improves their performance compared to the "carb-loading" regimen in controlled studies.

Seriously, I am amazed at how many modern problems low carb diets solve. A big reason for me to stay on it apart from weight issues: it appears to be protective against Alzheimers. i.e. Alzheimer's is actually a metabolic disease. And that's unfortunately a nearly universal affliction in my family.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:57 pm

WiseOne,
Since I had the experience of eliminating meat and finding my jogging ability improved, is that just me? And is no correlation indicated?

Thanks.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:07 pm

Bedraggled. Carbs are great for running. No question there at all. And if you are cutting meat, you are probably upping carbs. They are a hot, fast fuel.

They just aren't good for health and a lot marathoners die of cardiac disease due to the enormous oxidative damage that carbohydrate fuel imposes.

Fats can be used for aerobic exercise once you are adapted. They work differently than carbs and depending on the type of event, some athletes do better on fats than carbs. I think the jury is still out on that. The stoichiometry for fat is different than carbs and you only need about 75% of the oxygen for the same energy output. I can hold my breath for significantly longer when I am deeply in ketosis. But that is not running.

It's just that one form of fuel runs hot and dirty and generates a ton of reactive oxidant species (ROS) and the other runs clean and strong. You place your bets and you take your chances.

Mark
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:47 pm

Mark,
Thanks for the comment. Thirty-eight years hence I'm not at the track anymore but that was a notable experience. The tendonitis finally calmed down, so I get to do light weights again.

BTW, from what WiseOne mentioned about the virus, you and I may be on airplanes in 2021. If so, life will certainly be more interesting. There is still a chunk of Europe to see. New Zealand, Singapore and South Korea come to mind. Australia sounds good and we have several residents posting here. DW has seen the Northern Lights My father saw them during WW2. And that leaves me. Maybe a cruise from Bergen, Norway. Maybe fly to Helsinki. Tough to get to Helsinki. Heck, it wasn't easy getting to Oslo, a nice city.

Many credit card points being accumulated but no trips taken. (May be an idea for a thread).
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:18 pm

This reminds me of the discussion in the Coronavirus thread about how is the average person supposed to know what to believe. Some experts tells us to eat plants, some say focus on meat.I have friends in US who swear any carb makes them an addict and causes massive weight gain. I have friends in Italy and France who eat pastries and pasta every meal and are fit and healthy.

Some societies eat little meat and are healthy by our standards. Yet Hong Kong has the highest per capita consumption of meat and the longest lifespan.

Is it all individual? I took a DNA test and it said I should focus on high carb/low fat. But other experts say DNA determining what diet you would do best on is bunk.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:20 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:18 pm
Some societies eat little meat and are healthy by our standards. Yet Hong Kong has the highest per capita consumption of meat and the longest lifespan.
I think Hong Kongers boast the best sperm count, too. At least, that’s what I read in the 90s.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:47 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:18 pm
This reminds me of the discussion in the Coronavirus thread about how is the average person supposed to know what to believe. Some experts tells us to eat plants, some say focus on meat.I have friends in US who swear any carb makes them an addict and causes massive weight gain. I have friends in Italy and France who eat pastries and pasta every meal and are fit and healthy.

Is it all individual? I took a DNA test and it said I should focus on high carb/low fat. But other experts say DNA determining what diet you would do best on is bunk.
Yeah, you can find a book or internet site or video or theory pretty much supporting any side of anything out there. Tough to choose what to believe.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:08 am

It's not complicated. Eat less, or burn more calories (walk/exercise) to lose weight. If you don't want to do that, come to terms with it.

Protein, fiber, vegetables, and a multivitamin.

The rationalizations and fad diet chasing is trying to avoid the pain of eating less and the pain of re-wiring away from dopamine-burst food (sugar/salt/meat/fat)

Over months and years, incrementally dilute juice/soda for less sugar, sneak more vegetables into food, swap factory-farmed meat for humanely raised or plant protein.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:14 am

Why not experiment for yourself?

Try low-fat/high carb for a while and see how you feel & perform on it, by whatever measures you want. Weight, energy, aches and pains, need for asthma inhalers, blood sugar (tested yourself with a glucometer), blood pressure if that's high. Then try low carb/high fat - but you have to give that at least a month because it will take that long to adapt.

If you do better with one vs the other, then you'll know what you're best suited for. The idea of a DNA test sounds like snake oil to me.

p.s. if you are on ANY medications especially for high blood pressure, diabetes, or heart arrhythmias, do not mess with diets without consulting your physician. Likely you'll need to be monitored especially during the low carb trial, because your meds may need to be adjusted (usually in the downward direction).
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:03 am

Yea just try different things and see what works. Like, Mark Bell is all about the carnivore diet and talks a lot about how it works really well for him. Then you have the dude from Art Of Manliness who said that he found out that a high carb low fat diet works best for him.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:14 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:03 am
Yea just try different things and see what works. Like, Mark Bell is all about the carnivore diet and talks a lot about how it works really well for him. Then you have the dude from Art Of Manliness who said that he found out that a high carb low fat diet works best for him.
That is why I am doing the 30 day Carnivore experiment to see how I feel. Of course even if I lose weight and do well on it, there is no guarantee it is because of the meat. It could be just from the fact I ditched sodas and pizza and ate less. To really know I would have to move from this to a high carb/low fat diet but maintain the same calories and food quality and see how that goes.