Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Carnivore Diet Experiment

Post by pugchief » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:27 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:14 am
boglerdude wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:09 am
Vegetarian 30 years vegan 10. Food is a drug and it takes years to wean off the large dopamine bursts from high fat/sugar/salt/meat. You cut back a little at a time. Diet doesnt matter much tho, im ripped because i only eat once a day and walk 10 miles/week. Try coffee and tea instead of lunch.
What is your height and weight? Any other exercise aside from the walking?

Vinny
Ya, I find it hard to believe you're 'ripped' if you're not hitting the weights room regularly. 10 miles/week isn't even that much walking.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:43 pm

sophie wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:00 am
Hey Vinny,

Let me recommend a book by Lierre Kieth, "The Vegetarian Myth." There are a lot of claims about the dangers of meat eating that simply aren't true. The book very effectively rebuts them.

Research on pre-Neolithic diets indicates that the human diet was primarily (but not exclusively) based on meat. And, that human health worsened significantly after the transition to agriculture - height and life expectancy declined, teeth and bones started showing chronic disease, and heart disease (from investigations of Egyptian mummies) became common. Fascinating stuff. Takehome is that humans are not adapted to a vegetarian diet, and particularly are not adapted to eating grains.
Thanks. Just bought a used copy from Amazon. Will get to me sometime in August.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:10 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:43 pm
sophie wrote:
Hey Vinny,

Let me recommend a book by Lierre Kieth, "The Vegetarian Myth." There are a lot of claims about the dangers of meat eating that simply aren't true. The book very effectively rebuts them.

Research on pre-Neolithic diets indicates that the human diet was primarily (but not exclusively) based on meat. And, that human health worsened significantly after the transition to agriculture - height and life expectancy declined, teeth and bones started showing chronic disease, and heart disease (from investigations of Egyptian mummies) became common. Fascinating stuff. Takehome is that humans are not adapted to a vegetarian diet, and particularly are not adapted to eating grains.

Vinny
Sounds like you should do the 72 Oz challenge Vinny ;D

https://www.bigtexan.com/live-stream/
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:58 pm

Hal wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:10 pm
vnatale wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:43 pm
sophie wrote:
Hey Vinny,

Vinny
Sounds like you should do the 72 Oz challenge Vinny ;D

https://www.bigtexan.com/live-stream/
I don't think so! But once as a kid I was awarded an "I ate the entire banana split" button! Devoured anything with sugar in it.

Vinny
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:25 am

I'm not bulky, just lean with tone. The backpack usually has 5-10 lbs in it.

> humans are not adapted to a vegetarian diet

Tens of millions have thrived on vegetarian diets over the centuries. The only indisputable cases of diet failures are scurvy and rickets. For every book claiming being vegetarian is unhealthy there are 10 with data suggesting otherwise.

Rather than convince yourself you couldnt possibly eat healthier & more humanely, just accept that for you, its not worth the effort. Nobody gives 100% of their disposable income to charity either.

Arguments about diet aren't about diet, anything balanced is good enough. We don't want the pain caused by eating less than we want (im starving right now) or the pain from eating something different than what we grew up with. ie the flavors that wired up to the dopamine centers during childhood.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:35 am

I don't question that some people can handle a vegetarian diet. Many however do not. Personally, I was vegetarian for a few years and that's when I started having weight problems. I also know a lot of people who spent years as vegetarians but for various reasons usually connected to health issues they went back to meat eating. Or, they started eating meat and then discovered that their health improved. And, there have been studies associating depression with vegetarian diets, a most interesting link.

As a neurologist I have also seen some severe medical consequences from vegetarian (especially vegan) diets. Like an otherwise healthy vegan man who spent two years wheelchair bound in a SNF because of B12 deficiency. Sure, not everyone will have this happen....but SOME will. And if there's one problem like this that can crop up, be assured there are more.

I'm just generally sold on the idea that the diet that humans evolved on is most likely the one that we are best adapted to eat today. The idea that we evolved to eat one diet but are actually healthiest on a totally different one...doesn't that strike you as odd? If it's true, then we are literally the only species on the planet with that characteristic.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:32 am

Isn't B-12 is available through supplementation?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:17 am

bedraggled wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:32 am
Yes. I just grabbed my bottle of Vitamin B-12 5000 mcg and am looking it.

My doctor recommended it even though my blood test did not reveal any B vitamin issues.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:41 am

sophie wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:35 am
I also know a lot of people who spent years as vegetarians but for various reasons usually connected to health issues they went back to meat eating. Or, they started eating meat and then discovered that their health improved.
The one that got to me was the then-wife of Morgan Spurlock (of ‘Super-Size Me’ fame). She was a professional vegan chef! And she went back to the meat.

No dirty comments, kriegsspiel. O0
Herman Cain says the virus is under control and there’s nothing to be concerned about
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:54 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:17 am
bedraggled wrote:

My doctor recommended it even though my blood test did not reveal any B vitamin issues.

Vinny
Not sure exactly what you eat, Vinny, but if you consume dairy and eggs you can skate along without the B supplements. Not great, but you'll live.

Also, if you eat breakfast cereals, many of those are fortified with B vitamins. Needless to say, that wouldn't be my first choice.
Last edited by Mark Leavy on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:59 am

In the documentary "The Magic Pill" about the keto diet there was a woman who was a vegan of the strictest kind who bought a piece of land where she intended to grow all of her own fruits and vegetables for food. So she went to a local store to buy some fertilizer and decided to look at what exactly was in the fertilizer, only to discover that one of the ingredients was "blood meal". And that's when the light went off for her. It takes dead animals to grow fruits and vegetables - it's simply nature's way on planet earth. So she went out and bought some chickens and other animals and changed her diet.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:32 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:54 am
vnatale wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:17 am
bedraggled wrote:

Vinny
Not sure exactly what you eat, Vinny, but if you consume dairy and eggs you can skate along without the B supplements. Not great, but you'll live.

Also, if you eat breakfast cereals, many of those are fortified with B vitamins. Needless to say, that wouldn't be my first choice.
Vegan at home. And, no breakfast cereals since I was a kid.

Vinny