Carnivore Diet Experiment

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Carnivore Diet Experiment

Post by Maddy » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:54 pm

Is there any reason why the transition to keto has to be so abrupt? All that withdrawal stuff, when coupled with other stresses and the mental and physical demands of real life, is enough to defeat anyone. Why not transition over slowly? Is there some reason why the body can't adjust to burning ketones over a period of time?
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:59 pm

No reason at all Maddy. And, as I biased as I am, I firmly believe that it isn't for everyone. And this may be a bit sexist, but anecdotally, it is rougher on women - so read that however you like.

But, if you want to give it a shot, there are no rules about how to taper off of carbs. Any way works.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:59 am

Maddy wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:54 pm
Is there any reason why the transition to keto has to be so abrupt? All that withdrawal stuff, when coupled with other stresses and the mental and physical demands of real life, is enough to defeat anyone. Why not transition over slowly? Is there some reason why the body can't adjust to burning ketones over a period of time?
I did it gradually over a couple of months. I still got the withdrawal symptoms, but maybe it wasn't as bad as it would have been if I jumped in immediately. The worst of it was over within a few days.

It's also not that hard to deal with. Keep yourself well stocked with the following:

Morton's lite salt (for the potassium)
Cream cheese
Bacon
Eggs
Chicken broth - you can buy it or make it yourself.

Use the lite salt liberally on your food, and make chicken broth one of your favorite beverages - well salted of course. Drink a lot of water in between - a Sodastream helps as sparkling water is so much easier to guzzle lots of. Keep precooked bacon in the fridge (just make a whole package at once in the oven or microwave). Whenever you get hungry, which will be often, either make yourself bacon and eggs, or make yourself a bacon and cream cheese sandwich right from the fridge. Hardboiled eggs are good snacks too.

This phase lasted a couple of weeks or so for me. If you get tired of the bacon egg and cream cheese thing, try canned sardines (with Tabasco) or avocado salads. The good part is that after it's over, you'll suddenly be able to go all day without getting hungry, which will save you lots of time and aggravation - not to mention $$ - as suddenly you won't be snacking all day like most people. So the investment is worth it from that perspective.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:01 am

dualstow wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:41 pm
WiseOne wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:35 am
. Like an otherwise healthy vegan man who spent two years wheelchair bound in a SNF because of B12 deficiency.

B12 supplements make me break out. Hopefully I’m getting enough from fish.
I agree with Mark - don't rely on supplements!

If you're vegetarian, you will have to be super careful about getting enough B12. Among lots of other nutrients you're missing out on. No idea if fish once or twice a week is enough.

I was very impressed with anecdotal reports about depression occurring in people trying vegetarian diets, that went away as soon as they went back to eating meat (and animal fats). And the rises in self-help books about depression that paralleled the rise in veganism.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:13 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:57 pm
dualstow wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:41 pm
B12 supplements make me break out. Hopefully I’m getting enough from fish.
…. Don't let whatever ethics you have stand in the way of a long healthy life. If you are against red meat (or whatever) eat eggs and cheese (and fish and chicken and pork...) Don't rely on supplements.

Best of luck.

My post was too terse. I should have written “meat & fish” as I eat meat too. The supplements were an experiment. Lesson learned. O0
WiseOne wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:01 am

I agree with Mark - don't rely on supplements!
I was very impressed with anecdotal reports about depression occurring in people trying vegetarian diets, that went away as soon as they went back to eating meat (and animal fats). And the rises in self-help books about depression that paralleled the rise in veganism.
interesting!
RIP Marcello Gandini
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:26 pm

Bison Tomahawk Ribeye

BisonTomahawk.jpeg
BisonTomahawk.jpeg (202.56 KiB) Viewed 3023 times
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:14 am

I'll just comment on the don't reply on supplements:

Getting nutrients from food is always preferred, but many people are deficient in magnesium, many in zinc (though not on carnivore diet).

Fish oil (depending on your diet) and Co-q10 (if you're over 40) are also benefitcial
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:48 pm

Even though I have not moved 100% over to a Carnivore Diet, I will say that it has made me think about what I ingest a lot more than I ever did before. It is a lot harder for me now to have a lunch of grilled cheese, potato chips and soda without thinking "what nutrition am I getting from this meal?" Then it makes me think I could have eggs and bacon instead of this and how many more vitamins and minerals would I be getting with that...

One of the benefits of carnivore is that you are always eating something that at least has a decent amount of nutritional value. Once I started moving in that direction, I started to notice how many commercials I saw on television for food that has absolutely zero nutritional value (except for energy I guess). Bagels, pop tarts, bread, beer, sodas...

I know it will be argued that I could get nutrition from non meat items as well. But I have never been that keen on vegetables. So for me healthy foods are kinda restricted to meat or fruit.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:59 am

jalanlong wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:48 pm

Even though I have not moved 100% over to a Carnivore Diet, I will say that it has made me think about what I ingest a lot more than I ever did before. It is a lot harder for me now to have a lunch of grilled cheese, potato chips and soda without thinking "what nutrition am I getting from this meal?" Then it makes me think I could have eggs and bacon instead of this and how many more vitamins and minerals would I be getting with that...

One of the benefits of carnivore is that you are always eating something that at least has a decent amount of nutritional value. Once I started moving in that direction, I started to notice how many commercials I saw on television for food that has absolutely zero nutritional value (except for energy I guess). Bagels, pop tarts, bread, beer, sodas...

I know it will be argued that I could get nutrition from non meat items as well. But I have never been that keen on vegetables. So for me healthy foods are kinda restricted to meat or fruit.

Agreement here that the less processed the food and the less artificial ingredients added to it the better? In other words, the closer the food is to its natural state...the better?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:03 am

jalanlong wrote:
Does beer have any good nutritional value?

Beer can be nutritious Beer is made from hops, barley and wheat, so the beverage contains many of the same nutrients that grains do, including B vitamins, riboflavin, niacin and zinc. A bottle of beer can contain 92 mg of potassium, 14 mg of calcium and 48 mg of phosphorus, all minerals that are essential to a healthy diet.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:00 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:03 am
jalanlong wrote:
Does beer have any good nutritional value?

Beer can be nutritious Beer is made from hops, barley and wheat, so the beverage contains many of the same nutrients that grains do, including B vitamins, riboflavin, niacin and zinc. A bottle of beer can contain 92 mg of potassium, 14 mg of calcium and 48 mg of phosphorus, all minerals that are essential to a healthy diet.
Wow I didn’t know that! Can you find me one for pop tarts and then I will be in business!