Carnivore Diet Experiment

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:30 am

Carnivore Diet Experiment

Post by jalanlong » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:14 am

So yesterday I started what I hope to be 30 days of the Carnivore Diet, just to see if all of the health claims from people like Joe Rogan would be true for me too. I definitely need to lose about 50 lbs, cut my addiction to sodas/empty carbs and change my health.

Have any of you ever done this diet, another diet that is far removed from the Standard American Diet, or any other sort of bio-hacks and how did it go?
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2685
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Carnivore Diet Experiment

Post by Xan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:15 am

jalanlong wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:14 am
So yesterday I started what I hope to be 30 days of the Carnivore Diet, just to see if all of the health claims from people like Joe Rogan would be true for me too. I definitely need to lose about 50 lbs, cut my addiction to sodas/empty carbs and change my health.

Have any of you ever done this diet, another diet that is far removed from the Standard American Diet, or any other sort of bio-hacks and how did it go?
Ditching sugary sodas in favor of canned seltzer water (which is readily available these days) will probably go a very long way all by itself.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Carnivore Diet Experiment

Post by pp4me » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:29 am

jalanlong wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:14 am
So yesterday I started what I hope to be 30 days of the Carnivore Diet, just to see if all of the health claims from people like Joe Rogan would be true for me too. I definitely need to lose about 50 lbs, cut my addiction to sodas/empty carbs and change my health.

Have any of you ever done this diet, another diet that is far removed from the Standard American Diet, or any other sort of bio-hacks and how did it go?
I did this for a while when I first started with keto a few years ago. I've lost about 50 lbs from my peak with various forms of low carb in the span of a few years but most of it was during that carnivore period which probably lasted about 60 days. My BMI is now in the normal range for the first time in very many years.

It wasn't a hard diet to follow at all and the only negative thing I can report is that I got some bad muscle cramps. So I would recommend some way of supplementing electrolytes if you are going to try it. And buy a can of theraworx and keep it by your bed. Wish I'd known about it at the time but I found it later and it really works.

I did keto with mostly meat and vegetables for well over a year after carnivore but now I'm back to eating some carbs but doing intermittent fasting/time restricted eating with a window of about 3 hours a day. The reason I'm eating the carbs now is mostly because I have to cook for 2 other people beside myself and they couldn't adjust to my keto diet.
Last edited by pp4me on Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:01 am

Re: Carnivore Diet Experiment

Post by shekels » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:31 am

jalanlong wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:14 am
So yesterday I started what I hope to be 30 days of the Carnivore Diet, just to see if all of the health claims from people like Joe Rogan would be true for me too. I definitely need to lose about 50 lbs, cut my addiction to sodas/empty carbs and change my health.

Have any of you ever done this diet, another diet that is far removed from the Standard American Diet, or any other sort of bio-hacks and how did it go?
DON'T BUY Sodas , Empty Carbs or anything you are trying to quit..
After a few weeks, it gets easier. Out of sight out of mind.
We are more Lazy Keto ourselves.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
User avatar
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:30 am

Re: Carnivore Diet Experiment

Post by jalanlong » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:33 am

pp4me wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:29 am
jalanlong wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:14 am
So yesterday I started what I hope to be 30 days of the Carnivore Diet, just to see if all of the health claims from people like Joe Rogan would be true for me too. I definitely need to lose about 50 lbs, cut my addiction to sodas/empty carbs and change my health.

Have any of you ever done this diet, another diet that is far removed from the Standard American Diet, or any other sort of bio-hacks and how did it go?
I did this for a while when I first started with keto a few years ago. I've lost about 50 lbs from my peak with various forms of low carb in the span of a few years but most of it was during that carnivore period which probably lasted about 60 days. My BMI is now in the normal range for the first time in very many years.

It wasn't a hard diet to follow at all and the only negative thing I can report is that I got some bad muscle cramps. So I would recommend some way of supplementing electrolytes if you are going to try it. And buy a can of theraworx and keep it by your bed. Wish I'd known about it at the time but I found it later and it really works.

I did keto with mostly meat and vegetables for well over a year after carnivore but now I'm back to eating some carbs but doing intermittent fasting/time restricted eating with a window of about 3 hours a day. The reason I'm eating the carbs now is mostly because I have to cook for 2 other people beside myself and they couldn't adjust to my keto diet.
So do you buy that meat is more nutrient dense than veggies and other foods and that you are "repairing" your body by eating only meat? Or do you think the improved health and weight loss comes strictly from the fact that meat (fat) is more satiating and you just eat less doing Carnivore or Keto?
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Carnivore Diet Experiment

Post by pp4me » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:48 am

jalanlong wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:33 am
pp4me wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:29 am
jalanlong wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:14 am
So yesterday I started what I hope to be 30 days of the Carnivore Diet, just to see if all of the health claims from people like Joe Rogan would be true for me too. I definitely need to lose about 50 lbs, cut my addiction to sodas/empty carbs and change my health.

Have any of you ever done this diet, another diet that is far removed from the Standard American Diet, or any other sort of bio-hacks and how did it go?
I did this for a while when I first started with keto a few years ago. I've lost about 50 lbs from my peak with various forms of low carb in the span of a few years but most of it was during that carnivore period which probably lasted about 60 days. My BMI is now in the normal range for the first time in very many years.

It wasn't a hard diet to follow at all and the only negative thing I can report is that I got some bad muscle cramps. So I would recommend some way of supplementing electrolytes if you are going to try it. And buy a can of theraworx and keep it by your bed. Wish I'd known about it at the time but I found it later and it really works.

I did keto with mostly meat and vegetables for well over a year after carnivore but now I'm back to eating some carbs but doing intermittent fasting/time restricted eating with a window of about 3 hours a day. The reason I'm eating the carbs now is mostly because I have to cook for 2 other people beside myself and they couldn't adjust to my keto diet.
So do you buy that meat is more nutrient dense than veggies and other foods and that you are "repairing" your body by eating only meat? Or do you think the improved health and weight loss comes strictly from the fact that meat (fat) is more satiating and you just eat less doing Carnivore or Keto?
I buy into the idea of fasting repairing your body by the process of autophagy but I really have no way of knowing whether eating only meat did that. I do remember having the strong feeling that some fundamental changes were taking place inside my body and that they were beneficial in some way. I've read that it affects your gut bacteria and that there is some kind of direct connection that has been discovered from your bacteria to your brain so that may have been what I was feeling. When all those sugar/carb loving bacteria exit your body the cravings seem to go away with them.
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3748
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Carnivore Diet Experiment

Post by sophie » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:44 pm

Good luck with your diet, jalanlong!

I guess I'm "lazy keto" also. I don't think of it as a diet, rather it's a permanent shift in my eating pattern. 99% of the weight loss benefit will come from eliminating sugar, grains, and industrial vegetable oils, so you may not need the full carnivore treatment if that doesn't suit you.

The hardest part was definitely the first few weeks. You go through a carbohydrate withdrawal plus you get very thirsty and need extra electrolytes (potassium, sodium, magnesium especially). I remember the craziest hunger pangs - on the advice of a friend I kept a supply of cooked bacon on hand, and would eat it with a slab of cream cheese when needed. For the electrolytes, buy Morton's lite salt (half potassium, half sodium) and use a ton of the stuff - I even put it into water. Bone broths help. There are electrolyte powders you can buy, but I didn't care for them. Also I couldn't have survived without my Sodastream.

The other hardest part is that most of the world of convenience foods is no longer an option. I've been noticing more and more "keto-safe" foods in my local grocery, but you're still going to see a lot more of the inside of your kitchen than you probably do now.
User avatar
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:30 am

Re: Carnivore Diet Experiment

Post by jalanlong » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:09 pm

sophie wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:44 pm
Good luck with your diet, jalanlong!

I guess I'm "lazy keto" also. I don't think of it as a diet, rather it's a permanent shift in my eating pattern. 99% of the weight loss benefit will come from eliminating sugar, grains, and industrial vegetable oils, so you may not need the full carnivore treatment if that doesn't suit you.

The hardest part was definitely the first few weeks. You go through a carbohydrate withdrawal plus you get very thirsty and need extra electrolytes (potassium, sodium, magnesium especially). I remember the craziest hunger pangs - on the advice of a friend I kept a supply of cooked bacon on hand, and would eat it with a slab of cream cheese when needed. For the electrolytes, buy Morton's lite salt (half potassium, half sodium) and use a ton of the stuff - I even put it into water. Bone broths help. There are electrolyte powders you can buy, but I didn't care for them. Also I couldn't have survived without my Sodastream.

The other hardest part is that most of the world of convenience foods is no longer an option. I've been noticing more and more "keto-safe" foods in my local grocery, but you're still going to see a lot more of the inside of your kitchen than you probably do now.
So far I have not had any intense cravings. The main thing I have faced is a bit of a headache, foggy head and the fact that if I overeat then I get very nauseous, probably do to the high fat content of my meals. I am hoping that goes away after a few days.
User avatar
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3157
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:56 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Carnivore Diet Experiment

Post by vnatale » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:19 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:09 pm
sophie wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:44 pm
Good luck with your diet, jalanlong!

I guess I'm "lazy keto" also. I don't think of it as a diet, rather it's a permanent shift in my eating pattern. 99% of the weight loss benefit will come from eliminating sugar, grains, and industrial vegetable oils, so you may not need the full carnivore treatment if that doesn't suit you.

The hardest part was definitely the first few weeks. You go through a carbohydrate withdrawal plus you get very thirsty and need extra electrolytes (potassium, sodium, magnesium especially). I remember the craziest hunger pangs - on the advice of a friend I kept a supply of cooked bacon on hand, and would eat it with a slab of cream cheese when needed. For the electrolytes, buy Morton's lite salt (half potassium, half sodium) and use a ton of the stuff - I even put it into water. Bone broths help. There are electrolyte powders you can buy, but I didn't care for them. Also I couldn't have survived without my Sodastream.

The other hardest part is that most of the world of convenience foods is no longer an option. I've been noticing more and more "keto-safe" foods in my local grocery, but you're still going to see a lot more of the inside of your kitchen than you probably do now.
So far I have not had any intense cravings. The main thing I have faced is a bit of a headache, foggy head and the fact that if I overeat then I get very nauseous, probably do to the high fat content of my meals. I am hoping that goes away after a few days.
Not necessarily directed at you but to anyone who wants to answer.

Two things I've many times read about why humans are not set up to eat meat are that:

1) Our teeth are different than carnivore animals.

2) We have long digestive tracks like fruitarian apes rather than short ones like carnivore cats and dogs. Therefore, meat will putrefy in out digestive tracts.

Both gross simplifications or incorrect?

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
User avatar
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 815
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 pm
Location: US Citizen, Permanent Traveler

Re: Carnivore Diet Experiment

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:05 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:19 pm
Not necessarily directed at you but to anyone who wants to answer.

Two things I've many times read about why humans are not set up to eat meat are that:

1) Our teeth are different than carnivore animals.

2) We have long digestive tracks like fruitarian apes rather than short ones like carnivore cats and dogs. Therefore, meat will putrefy in out digestive tracts.

Both gross simplifications or incorrect?

Vinny
1) true. Humans have evolved to survive on whatever food supply we can get. We're pretty adaptable. It has served us well.
2) false. Human digestive tracts most closely resemble dogs. Apes have much larger digestive tracts so that they can get some of their B vitamins via the bacterial breakdown of plants. There is an interesting fact that an animal's energy consumption is a direct function of their body mass. It doesn't matter if the animal is a fish or a lizard or a mammal. Whatever. The two most energy expensive systems in the body are the digestive tract and the brain. For the human brain to increase in size, something had to give. It was the digestive tract. Meat (and cooked meat) were the primary enablers of that evolution.

We are still well adapted to a large variety of foods. Some are just better for us than others.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Carnivore Diet Experiment

Post by pp4me » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:11 pm

Speaking of "lazy keto" I tend to think of carnivore as the laziest form of keto. When I introduced vegetables into my diet along with berry smoothies and some homemade keto desserts I had to buy some of those keto test strips to make sure I didn't eat too many carbs and kick myself out of ketosis. With carnivore, you don't have to really think about that. Ketosis is almost guaranteed.

Kind of the same thing now with my time-restricted-eating which has been working quite well in maintaining my weight. I guess it's just like with the PP - I prefer something you don't have to think that much about.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10581
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Carnivore Diet Experiment

Post by dualstow » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:21 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:14 am
...
Have any of you ever done this diet, another diet that is far removed from the Standard American Diet, or any other sort of bio-hacks and how did it go?
I gave up soda 10 years ago and try to limit alcohol and sugar, and stay aware of how much bread I consume. Beyond that, I basically omit what my body rejects. Soon I’ll have nothing left to eat. O0 (but on the inside: 😭)
Herman Cain says the virus is under control and there’s nothing to be concerned about
Post Reply