AOC's Speech is Ridiculous

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

AOC's Speech is Ridiculous

Post by Smith1776 »

Okay, this is really getting insane and out of hand. I'm talking about AOC's speech.

I am here because I have to show my parents that I am their daughter β€” and that they did not raise me to accept abuse from men.

First, obviously I don't encourage people to call each other a "f@#$ing b#@*h", but that's my point...

AOC, this wasn't a feminist issue until you made it one. And now, thanks to the current political environment, no one can publicly call you out on it without reputational damage. Because women have a lead shield against any criticism by claiming "misogyny".

It's not misogynistic or anti-feminist to hurl that insult at someone. It's just an insult. You know what you do? You dig your heels in and fire off a clever comeback. You don't cry to the world just because you failed to think of one.

What is she saying in this speech? She won't take abuse from men, but she will from women? Is she saying it's okay when men say "f*@#ing b@#h" to other men? (Which happens all the time.) How does she know he wouldn't have made such a comment to anyone else, regardless of gender?

Writers on this topic are also projecting all kinds of things on to the issue that just don't exist. Claiming that Ted Yoho is pissed because AOC has the "temerity" to not be white. Now even race is part of it. Ummmm what?

And what about when women hurl worse insults at the President? Suddenly that's okay? That's not sexist? That's just good politics because you don't like his personality?

You don't have a right to not be offended.

https://youtu.be/fHMoDt3nSHs

People, more and more, seriously need to rewatch this Steve Hughes bit again and again. "So what! Be offended! Nothing happens!"

I might get some hate for a post like this, but seriously, someone needs to speak out against excessive amounts of political correctness. Someone needs to pipe up about how when a woman receives an insult it's not automatically misogyny or a feminist issue. You just happen to be a woman who received an insult. So what? Go ahead and make a joke about his penis size and walk away smiling. There you go. Even Steven. And you don't hear men making big and grandiose speeches about that when they receive a penis size joke/insult. Even though the equivalent for women would be a big speech about body shaming/image and we would never hear the end of it.

Anyway, I have a bunch more but I think you get the gist, and I don't want this to be an infinite ramble. Let the black helicopters of political correctness come after me.
πŸ’» DITM πŸ“š
πŸ›ž www.allterraininvesting.com πŸ›ž
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: AOC's Speech is Ridiculous

Post by Libertarian666 »

Smith1776 wrote: ↑Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:06 pm Okay, this is really getting insane and out of hand. I'm talking about AOC's speech.
It is "getting insane"? Have you been living in a cave for the last 3 1/2 years? :D
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Libertarian666 wrote: ↑Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:12 pm
Smith1776 wrote: ↑Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:06 pm Okay, this is really getting insane and out of hand. I'm talking about AOC's speech.
It is "getting insane"? Have you been living in a cave for the last 3 1/2 years? :D
:D

Joking aside, I am learning more and more from folks like Jordan Peterson. I'm practicing not bending to political correctness out of not wanting to be criticized. I am "speaking my truth" as he would put it.
πŸ’» DITM πŸ“š
πŸ›ž www.allterraininvesting.com πŸ›ž
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I seem to remember Tlaib saying "impeach the m~ f~ er" and no one seemed to mind.
🍍
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

dualstow wrote: ↑Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:33 pm I seem to remember Tlaib saying "impeach the m~ f~ er" and no one seemed to mind.
Of course not. It would be racist and misogynist to criticize her for anything!
europeanwizard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by europeanwizard »

Smith1776 wrote: ↑Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:06 pm It's just an insult. You know what you do? You dig your heels in and fire off a clever comeback. You don't cry to the world just because you failed to think of one.
That's just your opinion.

I've been at the receiving end of an endless stream of cleverly "funny" disguised verbal abuse from a coworker. And at some point, it goes from a single insult to systematic bullying.

Firing off a clever comeback is not the solution to systematic bullying.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

MangoMan wrote: ↑Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:19 am
europeanwizard wrote: ↑Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:16 am
Smith1776 wrote: ↑Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:06 pm It's just an insult. You know what you do? You dig your heels in and fire off a clever comeback. You don't cry to the world just because you failed to think of one.

I've been at the receiving end of an endless stream of cleverly "funny" disguised verbal abuse from a coworker. And at some point, it goes from a single insult to systematic bullying.

I respectfully disagree. I have found time and again (for men, at least) that the best way to deal with verbal bullies is to prove to them that you won't take their crap by giving verbal abuse right back at them. If you stand your ground and show that you not only don't care what they say, but that you are willing to give a dose back, they generally leave you alone and look for weaker targets, and sometimes even try to buddy up to you.
Here's what might happen when one is bullied ;D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpnmfbLiRng

On a more serious note, I worked for a Plant Manager whose favorite tactic was to get in your face and yell, fume, and belittle. One day I'd had enough; I stood up to him, calmly told him I would be glad to discuss whatever it was he was upset about when he stopped ranting, then I turned and left. The secretaries who were within ear shot thought I'd probably be fired. I wasn't. And the Plant Manager actually became friendly with me and respected me. Thus, my experience agrees somewhat with Pugchief (except for the giving back verbal abuse part).
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

MangoMan wrote: ↑Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:19 am
europeanwizard wrote: ↑Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:16 am

I respectfully disagree. I have found time and again (for men, at least) that the best way to deal with verbal bullies is to prove to them that you won't take their crap by giving verbal abuse right back at them. If you stand your ground and show that you not only don't care what they say, but that you are willing to give a dose back, they generally leave you alone and look for weaker targets, and sometimes even try to buddy up to you.
I've faced not only that but actual physical bullying several times in my life.

The most effective solution was not to "turn the other cheek" (i.e., ignore it), which I tried for as long as I could stand it, but to fight back.

In each case, that ended the problem immediately.

The application of this approach to the current political violence in the US is left as an exercise for the reader.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Mountaineer wrote: ↑Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:40 am On a more serious note, I worked for a Plant Manager whose favorite tactic was to get in your face and yell, fume, and belittle. One day I'd had enough; I stood up to him, calmly told him I would be glad to discuss whatever it was he was upset about when he stopped ranting, then I turned and left. The secretaries who were within ear shot thought I'd probably be fired. I wasn't. And the Plant Manager actually became friendly with me and respected me. Thus, my experience agrees somewhat with Pugchief (except for the giving back verbal abuse part).
Good approach!!!

I can speak for at least one woman (i.e. me): standing up to bullies is indeed the way to go. But, you don't want to stoop to their level.

In grade school, I hit back once at a gang of particularly nasty girls, and they stopped bothering me after that. It felt good to find out years later that all them ended up in juvenile detention and never finished high school.

In my current professional situation, there are even more bullies, sadly. Medicine seems to attract them. You obviously can't hit back but you also don't want to engage in the same type of bullying behavior back to them. The ultimate answer was becoming the only person in the division to get tenure :-).
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

WiseOne wrote: ↑Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:22 am
Mountaineer wrote: ↑Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:40 am On a more serious note, I worked for a Plant Manager whose favorite tactic was to get in your face and yell, fume, and belittle. One day I'd had enough; I stood up to him, calmly told him I would be glad to discuss whatever it was he was upset about when he stopped ranting, then I turned and left. The secretaries who were within ear shot thought I'd probably be fired. I wasn't. And the Plant Manager actually became friendly with me and respected me. Thus, my experience agrees somewhat with Pugchief (except for the giving back verbal abuse part).
Good approach!!!

I can speak for at least one woman (i.e. me): standing up to bullies is indeed the way to go. But, you don't want to stoop to their level.

In grade school, I hit back once at a gang of particularly nasty girls, and they stopped bothering me after that. It felt good to find out years later that all them ended up in juvenile detention and never finished high school.

In my current professional situation, there are even more bullies, sadly. Medicine seems to attract them. You obviously can't hit back but you also don't want to engage in the same type of bullying behavior back to them. The ultimate answer was becoming the only person in the division to get tenure :-).

AOC is still too young to understand how this sort of thing works. She strikes me as somone who is more likely to be a bully than to be victimized by one. Frankly, a 26 year old has no business being in Congress....wish the founders applied the Presidential age limit to all of government.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

Ridiculous and AOC are two words that go together well.

I think the Democrats are fulfilling the Biblical prophecy that "A little child shall lead them".

The congressman accused of calling her a "f*****n b***h" said what he actually said walking away was "friggin' B.S." and that she's lying about it.

Hard to know who is telling the truth but I must admit I've said similar things about AOC in private. In polite company it's best to stick with "whiny snowflake".
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Yoho resigns from board of Christian organization following confrontation with Ocasio-Cortez

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5090 ... ation-with
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Last edited by Kriegsspiel on Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

I had an ex who was a witch. I thought that was pretty awesome. The whole basement was full of her stuff.
Sometimes I couldn't work out because of all of the incense and chanting.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Mark Leavy wrote: ↑Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:35 am I had an ex who was a witch. I thought that was pretty awesome. The whole basement was full of her stuff.
Sometimes I couldn't work out because of all of the incense and chanting.
My ex was a bitch. Does that count?