Who still supports BLM after this?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Who still supports BLM after this?

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:08 am

"'BLM Now': Man arrested after photo of kneeling on White toddler's neck goes viral"

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... ing-white/

Had enough yet?
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Who still supports BLM after this?

Post by pp4me » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:25 pm

The city of Safety Harbor which is the next city over from me on the shores of Tampa Bay just put up a BLM sign in front of city hall. It's kind of an artsy community with concerts in the park and street festivals all the time so I'm not surprised by the virtue signalling.

On the NextDoor website for our neighborhood which I subscribe to someone posted about how proud they were of the city council for posting the sign and you wouldn't believe the vitriol going back and forth with lots of name calling ("racist", "karen", etc). I posted myself and asked when we should expect to start hearing about SHOT (Safety Harbor Occupied Territory).

Funny thing is, I'll bet there aren't even 10 black people living in that city.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:54 pm

pp4me wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:25 pm
The city of Safety Harbor which is the next city over from me on the shores of Tampa Bay just put up a BLM sign in front of city hall. It's kind of an artsy community with concerts in the park and street festivals all the time so I'm not surprised by the virtue signalling.

On the NextDoor website for our neighborhood which I subscribe to someone posted about how proud they were of the city council for posting the sign and you wouldn't believe the vitriol going back and forth with lots of name calling ("racist", "karen", etc). I posted myself and asked when we should expect to start hearing about SHOT (Safety Harbor Occupied Territory).

Funny thing is, I'll bet there aren't even 10 black people living in that city.
You don't need any black people to have BLM riots.
All you need is Soros funding.
sweetbthescrivener

Post by sweetbthescrivener » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:29 pm

Most people who support black lives matter are supporting a movement and not an organization, or rather conflating the two. Whenever I see a black lives matter sign I want to pull out a Sharpie and amend it:

"Don't sign on till you have read their mission statement."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:42 pm

Equality, yes. The BLM movement, no.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:17 pm

sweetbthescrivener wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:29 pm
Most people who support black lives matter are supporting a movement and not an organization, or rather conflating the two. Whenever I see a black lives matter sign I want to pull out a Sharpie and amend it:

"Don't sign on till you have read their mission statement."
I wouldn't recommend doing that. While it is good advice to readers, it could get you killed.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:00 am

> All you need is Soros funding

Source? And what are his alleged motives
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:15 am

tomfoolery wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:14 am
Then when we point out the problems with their protest, they shrug and say “oh the looters and arsonists don’t represent us, they’re just a small group that happens to coincidentally be here alongside us”

Meanwhile the exact same BLM people go to Charlottesville and say “everyone who supports the second amendment is a Nazi because look, 1% of the rally is white supremacists”
So true.
RIP Marcello Gandini
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:38 am

Somebody more brave than me should go to city hall in Safety Harbor and put an "It's Okay to be White" sign beside the BLM sign.

The way things are going you would probably see white people fighting each other in the streets over it.

This article asks the interesting question of why, if the U.S.A. is a white supremacist nation, would a sign like that get you in so much trouble?

https://www.unz.com/article/its-okay-to-be-white/
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:54 pm

NATIONAL POLL: Will You Boycott Starbucks Since They're Printing 250,000 BLM Shirts For Employees To Wear? This question is required. *

https://trump.typeform.com/to/eadtEP?fb ... EcLsZfD5FM
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:06 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:00 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:54 pm
NATIONAL POLL: Will You Boycott Starbucks Since They're Printing 250,000 BLM Shirts For Employees To Wear? This question is required. *

I certainly will, and I'm not alone. BLM is a Marxist organization devoted to insurrection.
Partly because I'm not a coffee drinker (major reason) but also because I'm super frugal and I view places like Starbucks catering to the anti-frugal (minor reason) I don't think I have ever been in one.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:30 pm

I hope someone creates a web site listing all companies that publicly stated their support of BLM during this mess so that I can avoid doing business with all of them going forward.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:39 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:30 pm
I hope someone creates a web site listing all companies that publicly stated their support of BLM during this mess so that I can avoid doing business with all of them going forward.
That's a tough standard to which to remain observant.

Someone asked me how I could remain a Yankees fan given that some in the Yankees organization / family support Trump.

That type of thing is not going to affect my support or non-support for my teams.

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:40 pm

I always feel slighted when I go to Starbucks.

I pay a premium there and I have to add my own milk and sugar.

I pay less at Tim Horton's and they do it for me. Grrrr. ^-^
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:46 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:40 pm
I always feel slighted when I go to Starbucks.

I pay a premium there and I have to add my own milk and sugar.

I pay less at Tim Horton's and they do it for me. Grrrr. ^-^
If I were a coffee drinker I'd seek out the place that only charges $1 as a loss leader.

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:47 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:46 pm

If I were a coffee drinker I'd seek out the place that only charges $1 as a loss leader.

Vinny
McDonald's is the bomb for cheap coffee!

I've watched the movie "Founder" a few times and I always get Mcdonald's afterwards lol.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:35 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:39 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:30 pm
That's a tough standard to which to remain observant.

Someone asked me how I could remain a Yankees fan given that some in the Yankees organization / family support Trump.

That type of thing is not going to affect my support or non-support for my teams.
That will depend on the how many companies are on the list, and what the companies are.

Also, people within an organization having a certain political position (your Yankees example) is very different from the organization itself publicly stating its support of that political position.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:54 am

vnatale wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:54 pm

I find it odd that companies promote ideologies...
We had a similar thing in Australia where a bank was promoting homosexual marriage.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... riage.html

When I go for a coffee or to get some money, I don't want to be lectured :(
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lonestar » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:17 pm

Not to be naive, but I always wonder if these companies are openly supporting these liberal causes because they actually believe in them, fear a loss of revenue if they don't, or both? I guess it really doesn't matter to me personally because I always make a mental note and do business elsewhere.
sweetbthescrivener

Post by sweetbthescrivener » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:23 pm

This thread needs to be retitled:

Who still supports Starbucks after this?
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:12 pm

Lonestar wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:17 pm
Not to be naive, but I always wonder if these companies are openly supporting these liberal causes because they actually believe in them, fear a loss of revenue if they don't, or both? I guess it really doesn't matter to me personally because I always make a mental note and do business elsewhere.
Loss of revenue and fear of being firebombed is my guess.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:18 pm

Lonestar wrote:
I think it depends on the company. Ben & Jerry’s are all in (those idiots). Howard Schultz, former CEO of Starbucks, obviously.
Nike, you know. But, I’m sure some other huge companies are playing it safe. I would, if I thought it would keep my windows from being smashed.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:38 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:18 pm

I think it depends on the company. Ben & Jerry’s are all in (those idiots).
I stopped by the Ben and Jerry's factory in Waterbury, VT this afternoon. They had the mandatory paean to BLM, but mostly they were pushing prison reform. And while I'm onboard with prison reform, (I assume that means straight to execution instead of lockup?) I don't know what that has to do with coconut and chocolate ice cream.

At least with Ben and Jerry's, social causes have been their brand from day one - so I admire their consistency. Too bad they're wrong so often :)
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:08 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:38 pm
dualstow wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:18 pm

I think it depends on the company. Ben & Jerry’s are all in (those idiots).
I stopped by the Ben and Jerry's factory in Waterbury, VT this afternoon. They had the mandatory paean to BLM, but mostly they were pushing prison reform. And while I'm onboard with prison reform, (I assume that means straight to execution instead of lockup?) I don't know what that has to do with coconut and chocolate ice cream.

At least with Ben and Jerry's, social causes have been their brand from day one - so I admire their consistency. Too bad they're wrong so often :)
I visited their factory (I believe it's actually a creamery) a few years back. Their cause du jour at that time (mostly via posters in the lobby) was that corporations have too much influence, and shouldn't be allowed to have political opinions.

Actually that's something I /maybe/ could get behind, depending who's enforcing the "shouldn't". But two things come to mind:
a) I really doubt they hold that opinion anymore, now that all the big corporations are on board with left-wing-everything, and
b) this might be the best example of irony I've ever seen
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:29 pm

Lonestar wrote:
I always say that "money makes the world go round" therefore I'd say corporations are always going to take actions which maximize their profits.

And, how does anyone explain the "liberal" media when they are all owned by conservative, profit making corporations?

Vinny