Executive Member

Re: Right wing group think

Post by ahhrunforthehills » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:11 am

shekels wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:32 am
ahhrunforthehills wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:46 am

+1

Let me know if you find a better investing forum Doodle. I am certainly not a liberal democrat by any means, but I have to admit that I agree 100% with everything you said.

The best contributors have pretty much all left over the past decade. The really good contributors barely ever post anymore. This isn’t really surprising. Quite a few times over the past several years I have spent a long time typing up well researched investment posts and before submitting them I would think to myself... “why the hell am I even bothering? Almost everyone here these days is so closed-minded, neither of us will get any value out of it”. So I just close the browser deleting the post I spent an hour or two on. I am sure I am not the only one that feels that way. Definitely a weird forum now with pretty low-value posts.

Would love to hear any recommendations for quality discussions in investing. PM might be better than posting alternatives publicly ;)
Very Closed minded of them to disagree right?
Perfect response to backup my point.

Considering that I have been a registered libertarian for about 25 years, have never voted for a democrat in my life, and basically already discovered the PP allocations before I ever even heard of the PP, Harry Browne, or this forum I think you might find that I rarely disagree with the overall views on this forum.

You quickly made the assumption that my view stems from petty disagreements. There are practically none. I was referring to the quality of posts and responses.

Regardless, I was mainly referring to the INVESTING part of this forum as I have very little interest in the “Other Discussions” section outside of an investing capacity.

It certainly seems like the “Other Discussion” section is the primary interest of this entire site now and is reflected in the type of posts I see sitewide.

Just my opinion to let the OP know that he is not alone in his observations.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:18 pm

ahhrunforthehills wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:11 am
shekels wrote:
ahhrunforthehills wrote:

+1

Let me know if you find a better investing forum Doodle. I am certainly not a liberal democrat by any means, but I have to admit that I agree 100% with everything you said.

The best contributors have pretty much all left over the past decade. The really good contributors barely ever post anymore. This isn’t really surprising. Quite a few times over the past several years I have spent a long time typing up well researched investment posts and before submitting them I would think to myself... “why the hell am I even bothering? Almost everyone here these days is so closed-minded, neither of us will get any value out of it”. So I just close the browser deleting the post I spent an hour or two on. I am sure I am not the only one that feels that way. Definitely a weird forum now with pretty low-value posts.

Would love to hear any recommendations for quality discussions in investing. PM might be better than posting alternatives publicly ;)

Considering that I have been a registered libertarian for about 25 years, have never voted for a democrat in my life, and basically already discovered the PP allocations before I ever even heard of the PP, Harry Browne, or this forum I think you might find that I rarely disagree with the overall views on this forum.

You quickly made the assumption that my view stems from petty disagreements. There are practically none. I was referring to the quality of posts and responses.

Regardless, I was mainly referring to the INVESTING part of this forum as I have very little interest in the “Other Discussions” section outside of an investing capacity.

It certainly seems like the “Other Discussion” section is the primary interest of this entire site now and is reflected in the type of posts I see sitewide.

When the pp is doing its job, as it is right now, the other discussions section does heat up, esp. so with the virus and the election currently going on.

And there is no doubt this forum, regardless of the reason, is populated by older, very much right leaning individuals.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:30 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:18 pm
ahhrunforthehills wrote:
shekels wrote:
ahhrunforthehills wrote:

+1

When the pp is doing its job, as it is right now, the other discussions section does heat up, esp. so with the virus and the election currently going on.

And there is no doubt this forum, regardless of the reason, is populated by older, very much right leaning individuals.
I'll create two polls to see if we can get data to back up what you say.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:32 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:18 pm
ahhrunforthehills wrote:
shekels wrote:
ahhrunforthehills wrote:

+1

I think this forum is an eclectic mix of libertarians, liberals, and conservatives with opinions all over the place. When somebody tries to pigeon hole me as "right wing" I think it says more about their own view of the world than mine.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:08 pm

ahhrunforthehills wrote:
shekels wrote:
ahhrunforthehills wrote:

+1

Did I mention who were the Closed minded Group in the letter?

Other Discussion seems to be just that. With a wide spectrum of topics.
Maybe the Other Discussion Section was just for discussing Finance/Investment Ideas and not Political Ideas.
It Looks to me that there are other Sections for posting specific Investing items, but why not post Investment ideas in this section if suits you.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:17 pm

ahhrunforthehills wrote:

+1

I hope you find a forum more fitting to your tastes and preferences. Take care of yourself.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:06 pm

This forum arose, in large part, as an offshoot of the Bogleheads forum, where the more free-thinking members of that group (who discovered one another in a very lengthy thread on the Permanent Portfolio) were ridiculed quite regularly. It wasn't just their views on gold as an appropriate part of a balanced investment portfolio, but, I think, the fact that they dared to question the traditional dogma. You want to know what "group think" looks like? Go spend some time with the Bogleheads. I guarantee it will give you a different perspective.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:13 pm

Maddy wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:06 pm
This forum arose, in large part, as an offshoot of the Bogleheads forum, where the more free-thinking members of that group (who discovered one another in a very lengthy thread on the Permanent Portfolio) were ridiculed quite regularly. It wasn't just their views on gold as an appropriate part of a balanced investment portfolio, but, I think, the fact that they dared to question the traditional dogma. You want to know what "group think" looks like? Go spend some time with the Bogleheads. I guarantee it will give you a different perspective.

Maddy:

Gold is for hoarders who expect to trade glittering bars for stale bread after a financial Armageddon. Or it's for people trying to 'time' gold's movements by purchasing it on an upward bounce, with the hopes of selling before it drops. That's not investing. It's speculating.

Best wishes,
That Guy We All Know
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Gold is not an investment at all."

/sarcasm
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:44 pm

It would seem the majority of people who believe in gold being a significant part of their portfolio are definitely fiscal conservatives. I am one for sure.

It seems many people who find gold attractive are also politically conservative, or am I going too far there? And I feel like on this forum I am in the ever decreasing minority.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:46 pm

Honestly, most of the members on this forum strike me as classical liberals, libertarian, capitalists or anarcho-capitalists.

I wouldn't call any of those groups right wing. Unless right wing means something completely different today.
Simonjester wrote: seconded..
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:57 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:44 pm
It would seem the majority of people who believe in gold being a significant part of their portfolio are definitely fiscal conservatives. I am one for sure.

It seems many people who find gold attractive are also politically conservative, or am I going too far there? And I feel like on this forum I am in the ever decreasing minority.
Not politically conservative but extremely fiscally conservative, something the actual conservatives seem to abandon with glee once they are in power.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:23 pm

I'm a libertarian, or a Ron Paul Republican. I have little use for the GOP and none for the Dems or the swamp. Neither does Trump, and that's basically why I have supported him. I'm about done with him though. He has played his hand poorly. Not that there is any alternative who I will like.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:23 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:57 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:44 pm

Not politically conservative but extremely fiscally conservative, something the actual conservatives seem to abandon with glee once they are in power.

Vinny
But that’s the problem... the people in power aren’t actually conservatives at all.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:05 pm

I think it would be quite fun to be an authoritartian. Or a fascist.

In the right hands, it would be a good time. followed by immediate darkness.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:37 am

Ad Orientum has me half convinced to try monarchism. Unfortunately, I know too many people that would poison me to gain the throne.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:54 am

The minor landed aristocracy don't seem to have had it too bad.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:25 pm

Simonjester wrote:
Mark Leavy wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:46 pm
Honestly, most of the members on this forum strike me as classical liberals, libertarian, capitalists or anarcho-capitalists.

I wouldn't call any of those groups right wing. Unless right wing means something completely different today.
seconded..
Thirded. "Right wing" as it is currently popularly defined means pretty much anyone to the right of Lenin, but it doesn't do justice to the eclectic and (I find) generally very well informed opinions on this board. If you mean that you want to hear people saying the same stuff you're reading in the newspapers, well, you've come to the wrong place. This forum has always been about delving past the conventional wisdom and sound bites. Forgive me for maybe being ignorant but my impression is that this is still the case.

It's true that some of the most prolific and thoughtful posters have disappeared, but as I recall they posted their share of opinions that you might well put into the same category of "group-think". You get a different impression searching through past threads to find the gems, than you do seeing coments coming up in real time.