Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Right wing group think

Post by flyingpylon »

vnatale wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:57 pm
Cortopassi wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:44 pm It would seem the majority of people who believe in gold being a significant part of their portfolio are definitely fiscal conservatives. I am one for sure.

It seems many people who find gold attractive are also politically conservative, or am I going too far there? And I feel like on this forum I am in the ever decreasing minority.
Not politically conservative but extremely fiscally conservative, something the actual conservatives seem to abandon with glee once they are in power.

Vinny
But that’s the problem... the people in power aren’t actually conservatives at all.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I think it would be quite fun to be an authoritartian. Or a fascist.

In the right hands, it would be a good time. followed by immediate darkness.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Ad Orientum has me half convinced to try monarchism. Unfortunately, I know too many people that would poison me to gain the throne.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

The minor landed aristocracy don't seem to have had it too bad.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Simonjester wrote:
Mark Leavy wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:46 pm Honestly, most of the members on this forum strike me as classical liberals, libertarian, capitalists or anarcho-capitalists.

I wouldn't call any of those groups right wing. Unless right wing means something completely different today.
seconded..
Thirded. "Right wing" as it is currently popularly defined means pretty much anyone to the right of Lenin, but it doesn't do justice to the eclectic and (I find) generally very well informed opinions on this board. If you mean that you want to hear people saying the same stuff you're reading in the newspapers, well, you've come to the wrong place. This forum has always been about delving past the conventional wisdom and sound bites. Forgive me for maybe being ignorant but my impression is that this is still the case.

It's true that some of the most prolific and thoughtful posters have disappeared, but as I recall they posted their share of opinions that you might well put into the same category of "group-think". You get a different impression searching through past threads to find the gems, than you do seeing coments coming up in real time.