Right wing group think

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Right wing group think

Post by doodle » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:32 pm

This forum has been overrun by right wing group think. 8-10 years ago this was an incredible forum with an amazing diversity of outlooks, opinions, and intelligent discussion. I learned a lot from participating in discussions here over the years and had my mind changed and perspectives broadened on many subjects...I'm afraid those days have come and gone. R.I.P. gyroscopicnvesting...you had a good run.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Right wing group think

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:48 pm

I suppose that is somewhat to be expected given that the PP itself appeals to those who have a generally conservative viewpoint. The gold inclusion in the portfolio makes the overall strategy appeal to free market thinkers. I do have to agree that there is somewhat of a lack of diversity in viewpoints. The extent to which that is a bad thing is debatable. There are other forums on the web after all.

Personally, I do not really enjoy discussing politics generally. It is perhaps the most contentious topic in the popular psyche. The old adage that people who want to remain friends should never discuss politics or religion I think is very true. Either way, as a Canadian I do not have much to contribute to the U.S.-centric debates on this forum, so it's somewhat moot for me.

I enjoy math and math related topics such as computer science and physics. Why? Because those topics are grounded in an objective and verifiable truth. There's a foundation, a centre of gravity we can all agree on. We can make progress in these fields with the unassailable truth of mathematics. There is no such equivalence in the world of politics. Most of what people argue in the political sphere as fact is really just opinion or perspective that is primarily influenced by existing disposition and preconceived notions.

That's my take anyway.
“My natural state is an outsider, and no matter what group I'm in or where I am, I've always felt like I'm outside the group, and I've always been analyzing the group.” - Michael Burry
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:54 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:48 pm
I suppose that is somewhat to be expected given that the PP itself appeals to those who have a generally conservative viewpoint. The gold inclusion in the portfolio makes the overall strategy appeal to free market thinkers. I do have to agree that there is somewhat of a lack of diversity in viewpoints. The extent to which that is a bad thing is debatable. There are other forums on the web after all.

Personally, I do not really enjoy discussing politics generally. It is perhaps the most contentious topic in the popular psyche. The old adage that people who want to remain friends should never discuss politics or religion I think is very true. Either way, as a Canadian I do not have much to contribute to the U.S.-centric debates on this forum, so it's somewhat moot for me.

I enjoy math and math related topics such as computer science and physics. Why? Because those topics are grounded in an objective and verifiable truth. There's a foundation, a centre of gravity we can all agree on. We can make progress in these fields with the unassailable truth of mathematics. There is no such equivalence in the world of politics. Most of what people argue in the political sphere as fact is really just opinion or perspective that is primarily influenced by existing disposition and preconceived notions.

That's my take anyway.
And, as usual, the youngest among us speaks great wisdom!

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:55 pm

Smith1776, in the United States today everything, absolutely everything including the brand of beans that you eat is political.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:37 pm

doodle wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:55 pm
Smith1776, in the United States today everything, absolutely everything including the brand of beans that you eat is political.
Somehow, the only brand of beans I eat - Goya - got caught up in it!

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:21 pm

doodle wrote:
I don't doubt it. Honestly, when you mentioned the bean thing the only thing that came to mind is how good looking Ivanka Trump is. That's something we can probably all agree on. See how unifying I can be? ;D
“My natural state is an outsider, and no matter what group I'm in or where I am, I've always felt like I'm outside the group, and I've always been analyzing the group.” - Michael Burry
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:22 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:54 pm

And, as usual, the youngest among us speaks great wisdom!

Vinny
No wisdom here. Just a typical millennial's misguided idealism. I appreciate the kind words though, Vinny! O0
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:50 pm

doodle wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:32 pm
This forum has been overrun by right wing group think. 8-10 years ago this was an incredible forum with an amazing diversity of outlooks, opinions, and intelligent discussion. I learned a lot from participating in discussions here over the years and had my mind changed and perspectives broadened on many subjects...I'm afraid those days have come and gone. R.I.P. gyroscopicnvesting...you had a good run.
Damn, I was thinking the same thing the past couple days, that I would either leave or just limit myself to the investing topics. It has become too much mentally, fighting about all this stuff.

Haven’t decided 100% yet, but I know there’s little to be gained discussing Trump anymore. We’ll see in about 3 months.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:58 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:21 pm
doodle wrote:
I don't doubt it. Honestly, when you mentioned the bean thing the only thing that came to mind is how good looking Ivanka Trump is. That's something we can probably all agree on. See how unifying I can be? ;D
Is bean a Canadian euphamism for something I don't know about?
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:41 am

Whats the evidence for doodle's claim that Trump defrauded contractors. Is he really in NY?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:49 am

boglerdude wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:41 am
Whats the evidence for doodle's claim that Trump defrauded contractors. Is he really in NY?
Do you consider Fox News to be a legitimate source?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dozens ... orts-claim

Dozens of lawsuits accuse Trump of not paying his bills, reports claim

A simple Bing search will reveal much more regarding this.

Vinny
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:06 am

You mean there's a famous, rich landlord out there somewhere who DOESN'T have to deal with lawsuits left and right?

Real estate deals especially in NY are very tricky. A lot of issues end up in court. I could see this just from the experience of my former coop apartment. It had a complicated structure with a sponsor (the original owner of the building, still holding a fistful of apartments), and an investor who owned a few apartments and was a real estate attorney. Then there was the board headed by someone who claimed to have real estate experience, but whose main skill was to piss of a lot of people. There was a constant stream of lawsuits the whole time I was there, and that's not at all unusual. A large, complicated real estate empire like Trump's would be even more lawsuit prone.

You can call this "group think" if you like, but you'll have to explain why that label doesn't also apply to the left political wing.