Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Forum updates

Post by Xan »

Hi folks,

I've added an extension which gives a lot more flexibility to poll creators. However, I think that everyone should have been seeing a "view results" link without having to vote.

I found a way to disable "post review" which is the name of the (mis-)feature that asks you to confirm your submission if somebody else posted in the meantime, and which it seems has been leading to lost posts. It's a board-level setting, which means that if and when we ever add new boards, this setting will need to be remembered. Maybe I'll get around to writing an extension or cron job or something that will always unset the feature.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Forum updates

Post by vnatale »

Xan wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:35 pm Hi folks,

I've added an extension which gives a lot more flexibility to poll creators. However, I think that everyone should have been seeing a "view results" link without having to vote.

I found a way to disable "post review" which is the name of the (mis-)feature that asks you to confirm your submission if somebody else posted in the meantime, and which it seems has been leading to lost posts. It's a board-level setting, which means that if and when we ever add new boards, this setting will need to be remembered. Maybe I'll get around to writing an extension or cron job or something that will always unset the feature.
Many thanks, Xan!

The crowd requests and you deliver!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
europeanwizard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by europeanwizard »

Nice! I, for one, very much appreciate your effort!
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

MangoMan wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:01 am Xan, with true appreciation for everything you do, I would be sad if the review feature was removed. How else will we know another post not yet read was added, which might change the sentiment of the subsequent post?
Oof, in all the discussions about this, this is the first I've heard somebody say they like it. I certainly see the positives. But as it stands, I think they're outweighed by the negatives. People losing long posts is a really bad thing. For now I'll leave it off.

A final solution might be to turn it back on but have the page be really, really obvious. Huge red text saying "YOU HAVE NOT YET POSTED" or some such.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj »

You can also edit your reply after posting, so while it may be a bit more onerous/require you to be diligent to check after posting your reply, you should be able to get the same outcome.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I'm indifferent on the issue. Either way works for me!
DITM
www.allterraininvesting.com
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Thanks for the helpful forum updates, Xan!

Sorry for the belated reply — newborns are a lot of work. ;D
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Tortoise wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:19 am Thanks for the helpful forum updates, Xan!

Sorry for the belated reply — newborns are a lot of work. ;D
Oh, man. You don't have to tell me about that.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I think I’m writing it properly. but I can’t get the spoiler BB code to work. @Xan, is that something that needs to be toggled on or programmed in?
Don’t waste any time on it. I find the feature interesting on other forums, but there’s definitely no pressing need.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... er_bbcode/
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

dualstow wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:20 pm I think I’m writing it properly. but I can’t get the spoiler BB code to work. @Xan, is that something that needs to be toggled on or programmed in?
Don’t waste any time on it. I find the feature interesting on other forums, but there’s definitely no pressing need.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... er_bbcode/
It looks like that's a phpBB 3.2 feature; we still run 3.1. I do need to upgrade at some point.

Is this related to Better Call Saul by any chance? I haven't been able to see it yet!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Xan wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:40 pm
Is this related to Better Call Saul by any chance? I haven't been able to see it yet!
It’s definitely for things like that. I don’t have any great BCS revelations today, but i did watch the full 2½ hrs on Monday night and it was glorious. Going to be a really fun final season. I wish Medium Tex would come back just to talk about the show.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.