Dr. Fauci today!

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Dr. Fauci today!

Post by WiseOne »

There's been recent articles reporting studies of the level needed for herd immunity. It depends on how easily a virus is transmitted. For measles, you need over 90%. Apparently the number for COVID that has emerged from modeling studies is 20%.

I haven't read the original articles, but it might be that the definition of "herd immunity" might be a little confusing. It's not a guarantee than a given individual won't get sick, it's about preventing large outbreaks. NYC is in great shape now, and coincidentally there was a > 20% rate of positive antibody testing during random testing in May. It'll be interesting to see what happens in other states when they get to the 20% mark.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

WiseOne wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:28 pm modeling studies
^-^ ^-^
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:32 pm
WiseOne wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:28 pm modeling studies
^-^ ^-^
Thinking about what you wished you'd majored in in college? O0
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

"Modeling studies" sounds ambiguous.

Is he studying models or is he studying to be a model?
MM
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Computational models that take variables & relationships distilled from clinical/biophysical observations, make predictions, and then test if those predictions are validated in real-world data.

There are crappy papers that forget about that last part, but if carefully done modeling is a highly useful technique in biomedical research because you can explore different potential mechanisms that may be very difficult to untangle from real world data. As you might guess by now, I do this kind of research myself.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

WiseOne wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:17 am Computational models that take variables & relationships distilled from clinical/biophysical observations, make predictions, and then test if those predictions are validated in real-world data.

There are crappy papers that forget about that last part, but if carefully done modeling is a highly useful technique in biomedical research because you can explore different potential mechanisms that may be very difficult to untangle from real world data. As you might guess by now, I do this kind of research myself.
Curious, how much validity do you place in climate change modeling studies?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Dr. Fauci is on C-Span right now taking questions from Georgetown students....

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."