Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Second passport?

Post by dualstow »

WiseOne wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:32 pm You offering dualstow? ;D

Vinny - I'm as American as it gets i.e. a mongrel. 1/2 Palestinian, 1/4 Polish, 1/4 Italian. The 1/4 Italian just happens to be precisely what is required for the Italian passport (patriarchal descent). Feels a little like cheating but hey, I didn't make the rules.
Well, my wife doesn't want to live there, so if you don't mind being on standby. O0
🍍
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

WiseOne wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:32 pm You offering dualstow? ;D

Vinny - I'm as American as it gets i.e. a mongrel. 1/2 Palestinian, 1/4 Polish, 1/4 Italian. The 1/4 Italian just happens to be precisely what is required for the Italian passport (patriarchal descent). Feels a little like cheating but hey, I didn't make the rules.
Don't think I've ever prior met anyone with that mix!

I used to proudly say that I was this thoroughbred 100% Southern Italian. But also quickly adding that I was 100% culturally American with 0% Italian culture in me.

Prior to last year I knew zero of Italy's history. So, I finally read a book on the entire history of Italy. I had not prior known it was a far younger country than ours (around 1850, 1860). I'd just automatically assumed that being in Europe that it'd be far older.

Then the biggest revelation was reading that Italy is least pure of any country on Earth! There have been more countries in and out of Italy prior to it becoming a country than any other country. Therefore, while I may be 100% Southern Italian what is my real countries' background if it goes way back?

I've discussed this with my cousin on mother's side. She said that Ancentry. com put her at 100% Southern Italian so it seems services like that are not sophisticated enough to go far enough back?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I mean, look at Sicilians. They have a very rich and diverse history and ancestry.
Yeah, technically Italy was unified late after the period of city-states, but there’s this thing called the Roman Empire.
🍍