Federalism on the upswing in USA

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Federalism on the upswing in USA

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:10 pm

Starting with legalized weed, and now in corona virus, we are seeing the left favoring federalism. Is it real? Or is it like both sides always do with the constitution? ie Quote it when it suits their needs, and otherwise trample it. I don't think any national politicians have any use for federalism at all.

Can federalism make a comeback?
Should it?
Would more powerful states and less powerful DC lead to a more content citizenry? You want unrestricted abortion? Go right ahead. You want to ban abortion? Also fine. Allow drugs, ban drugs, higher blood alcohol for DUI, lower, and on and on. At this point, anyone is capable of moving to a state that suits them.

It's pretty convenient to know that anywhere I go in the US, most legalities are the same. But it that essential? What is the unseen cost? I bet there is a lot of it. Including anger in people who don't want to toe the national line.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Federalism on the upswing in USA

Post by stuper1 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:53 pm

Nice as it would be, I don't think federalism will come back because the leftists will argue that it is not fair to the lower classes. For example, if one state wants to restrict access to weed, abortion, or whatever, then the poorer classes would need to move to a different state, and they don't have the money to afford to move.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:02 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:53 pm
Nice as it would be, I don't think federalism will come back because the leftists will argue that it is not fair to the lower classes. For example, if one state wants to restrict access to weed, abortion, or whatever, then the poorer classes would need to move to a different state, and they don't have the money to afford to move.
I would imagine that some states would happily pay the moving expenses of people who wanted to go somewhere else in order to smoke weed and abort their babies.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:08 pm

I think federalism sounds like a great thing, and it's too bad it ended so early. But mark me down as believing that you only hear politicians talk about it when it suits them. Still, the more they encounter situations where it suits them, the better for the cause.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:31 pm

The USA would have been a great place for federalism to flourish too, being protected by huge oceans from our strongest potential adversaries.

Abraham Lincoln's reputation should be reviled.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:38 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:31 pm
The USA would have been a great place for federalism to flourish too, being protected by huge oceans from our strongest potential adversaries.

Abraham Lincoln's reputation should be reviled.
Yep.