Autonomous Enclave in Georgia, USA

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Autonomous Enclave in Georgia, USA

Post by dualstow »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:03 pm As far as I know, New Hampshire still has a state government.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
So would Georgia in the OP, at least in the beginning. According to the proposal, it would have to begin with likeminded people moving there.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Mark Leavy wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:15 pm
Libertarian666 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:05 pm
Mark Leavy wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:53 pm Slab City, April 2013

2013-04-09 16.09.10.jpeg
2013-04-09 16.04.36.jpeg
2013-04-09 16.09.54.jpeg
I would prefer that to CHAZ if those were my only options, but it doesn't look very inviting.
I was thinking more along the lines of the North American Confederacy novels of L. Neil Smith, or the Lunar society in The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress.
There was a fascinating time period in US/Mexican history where Texas wasn't sure if it wanted be part of the federation and the Yucatan wasn't that into Mexico. They almost joined and became an independent nation.

That would have been a tough nation to conquer. Texans and Mayans are damn independent and willing to run into the fray. Plus, can you say "Best barbacoa on the planet?"
Sounds right to me.
BTW, I've heard that Texas reserved the right to secede in their agreement to join the US, but I think that's an urban legend.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

dualstow wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:21 am
Libertarian666 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:03 pm As far as I know, New Hampshire still has a state government.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
So would Georgia in the OP, at least in the beginning. According to the proposal, it would have to begin with likeminded people moving there.
I'm all in favor of that experiment. Maybe it would be great!
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

Libertarian666 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:21 am
Mark Leavy wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:15 pm
Mark Leavy wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:53 pm Slab City, April 2013

2013-04-09 16.09.10.jpeg
2013-04-09 16.04.36.jpeg
2013-04-09 16.09.54.jpeg
I would prefer that to CHAZ if those were my only options, but it doesn't look very inviting.
I was thinking more along the lines of the North American Confederacy novels of L. Neil Smith, or the Lunar society in The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress.
There was a fascinating time period in US/Mexican history where Texas wasn't sure if it wanted be part of the federation and the Yucatan wasn't that into Mexico. They almost joined and became an independent nation.

That would have been a tough nation to conquer. Texans and Mayans are damn independent and willing to run into the fray. Plus, can you say "Best barbacoa on the planet?"
Sounds right to me.
BTW, I've heard that Texas reserved the right to secede in their agreement to join the US, but I think that's an urban legend.
I think you're right on that, tech. Secession was considered to be a right of every state so there was no need for special dispensation. Turns out it would have been a good idea to get one anyway.

I do believe that Texas has the option to split itself into up to 5 states. That would be an interesting maneuver in terms of Senate representation.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Great photos, Mark!
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

At some point it comes down to things that HB wrote in How I Found Freedom In An Unfree World.

You choose to live free. Too many people today, especially I think on the left, choose to be kept persons, as in the term a kept woman.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

Is it racist to think that white people are more racist than other races?
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:21 pm If they want to do it, I have no objection.
I suspect it would be extremely poor and crime-ridden but maybe not; in any event, the experiment would be enlightening.
We have those already here in NYC:

The South Bronx
Bedford-Stuyvesant
East Harlem

They are indeed poor and crime-ridden, and filled with residents who are very aggressive about demanding (and getting) handouts from the city.

Except for the fact that I'm paying for those handouts, I'm perfectly happy for those residents to live as they please, free of law enforcement inside the boundaries of their little enclave if that's what they want. The problem of course is that criminals are usually prone to travel a bit. A well-patrolled zone around it or a good solid wall would be needed.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

WiseOne wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:41 pm
Libertarian666 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:21 pm If they want to do it, I have no objection.
I suspect it would be extremely poor and crime-ridden but maybe not; in any event, the experiment would be enlightening.

The South Bronx
Bedford-Stuyvesant
East Harlem

They are indeed poor and crime-ridden, and filled with residents who are very aggressive about demanding (and getting) handouts from the city.

Except for the fact that I'm paying for those handouts, I'm perfectly happy for those residents to live as they please, free of law enforcement inside the boundaries of their little enclave if that's what they want. The problem of course is that criminals are usually prone to travel a bit. A well-patrolled zone around it or a good solid wall would be needed.
Yes. Like the border around CHAZ.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

WiseOne wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:41 pm

The South Bronx
What section of the Bronx is Yankee Stadium considered to be in?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Vinny,

The closest listed neighborhood to Yankee Stadium is Highbridge. That is the name of the first bridge into Manhattan, built in the 1840s to bring a supply of clean water to Manhattan. The Stadium is in an area near MacCombs Dam park. There is also MacCombs Dam bridge. So, maybe the neighborhood is related to that. I think it is in the South Bronx at the boundary to the next adjoining area, West Bronx, where I lived.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

The two significant streets near Yankee Stadium are W 167th Street to the north and W 149th Street to the south. West 149th Street is more a shopping/transportation hub. I think W 167th would be the South Bronx boundary and the Cross Bronx Expressway at W 170th Street would reinforce the notion. Mott Haven is the neighborhood to the immediate south of YS. That’s the next stop going downtown on the 4 train.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Wikipedia says “Concourse” as in the Grand Concourse but I don’t think so. Another Wiki entry says”Highbridge.” I am happy.
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lonestar »

I Shrugged wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:28 pm Slab City California
Terlingua Texas

Both are effectively free zones.
I've been to Terlingua. I can't say that I noticed much government but then I wasn't thinking of moving there.
Any semblance of government in Terlingua ended upon the death of Clay Henry, the Lone Star beer drinking goat that served as mayor.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Lonestar wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:29 pm Any semblance of government in Terlingua ended upon the death of Clay Henry, the Lone Star beer drinking goat that served as mayor.
Okay. Now I have to visit.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

bedraggled wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:47 pm Vinny,

The closest listed neighborhood to Yankee Stadium is Highbridge. That is the name of the first bridge into Manhattan, built in the 1840s to bring a supply of clean water to Manhattan. The Stadium is in an area near MacCombs Dam park. There is also MacCombs Dam bridge. So, maybe the neighborhood is related to that. I think it is in the South Bronx at the boundary to the next adjoining area, West Bronx, where I lived.
I believe I'd usually use that MacCombs Dam bridge as a "shortcut" to take to New York City after Saturday afternoon Yankees games?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Mark Leavy wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:34 pm
Lonestar wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:29 pm Any semblance of government in Terlingua ended upon the death of Clay Henry, the Lone Star beer drinking goat that served as mayor.
Okay. Now I have to visit.
Start by hanging out on the front porch of the hotel. You can find out which eating places are open which nights. They take turns being open, and have music usually.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Lonestar wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:29 pm

Any semblance of government in Terlingua ended upon the death of Clay Henry, the Lone Star beer drinking goat that served as mayor.
That is Lajitas, the town to the west. Lajitas used to be a real town, but some rich guy bought it and turned it into a little theme park of sorts. It's not worth going to Lajitas.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

The mercury must have affected the Terlingualites. The walking dead comes to mind. Or a real oldie, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.