All hail the new People's Republic of... CHAZ?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: All hail the new People's Republic of... CHAZ?

Post by Tortoise »

I’ve heard about that fireworks “mystery”. It seems like it shouldn’t be that hard to solve. Just observe who’s roaming around the relevant neighborhoods at that time of night. Maybe review some security camera footage.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

WiseOne wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:34 pm There's been large fireworks being exploded all over NYC all night, every night, for a couple of weeks now. It's a problem in other cities too apparently.
Big problem here. Dog owners (and their dogs) are not happy. I got an ad in my mail for fireworks. I hope the whole warehouse just blows up while the employees are away.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Tortoise wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:52 pm I’ve heard about that fireworks “mystery”. It seems like it shouldn’t be that hard to solve. Just observe who’s roaming around the relevant neighborhoods at that time of night. Maybe review some security camera footage.
That's the point. The police are purposely steering clear. Who could blame them for not wanting to confront lawbreakers when the officers involved have to risk their jobs and being criminally charged in order to do it? It's also possible of course that they've been told to stand down by the mayor and/or governor. Wouldn't put it past them.

I suspect they're ignoring more serious crimes as well. I've heard anecdotally that people have stopped reporting things like property theft because they can't get any response from the police. I bet they want to hide the fact that crime has increased. No police report = no crime to count in the official statistics.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

I was referring mainly to the reporters who write about the “mystery”. Seems like they could do a little journalistic legwork on street level to see who’s setting off the fireworks. Maybe they feel it’s unsafe, so they just report on it without doing any basic investigation.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

WiseOne wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:34 pm There's been large fireworks being exploded all over NYC all night, every night, for a couple of weeks now. It's a problem in other cities too apparently. Well, not "all over." It's in minority neighborhoods as you might guess. There was a post on my neighborhood NextDoor page from someone who tried to call the police. The 311 operator said that the police are not responding to this and it's a "community" matter. People are pissed off to say the least. They are also wondering where these people, who are so in need of welfare and "community investment", are getting the money to buy expensive fireworks. Antifa comes to mind.

Fortunately my little secluded neighborhood is far enough from the minority areas that I'm not losing any sleep. So I can analyze this from an armchair perspective and I'm enjoying it just a bit. A lot of the people who think BLM is the current cool thing and have been so excited about supporting it don't much like crime and disturbances. This is a lot more personal than looting stores and torching police cars. Who knows, it might help turn the tide!
You're already seeing that the police won't do anything about obviously illegal behavior.

If the Democrats win in November I don't think your little secluded neighborhood will be very safe any more. In that case I would expect the whole city will be turned over to the terrorists.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:31 pm
WiseOne wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:34 pm There's been large fireworks being exploded all over NYC all night, every night, for a couple of weeks now. It's a problem in other cities too apparently.
Big problem here. Dog owners (and their dogs) are not happy. I got an ad in my mail for fireworks. I hope the whole warehouse just blows up while the employees are away.
This week there was a letter to my local newspaper regarding this. So far I've not heard or seen anything in my neighborhood, which would greatly surprise me if I did. We are fairly un-densely populated and, therefore, it seems like it'd be fairly easy to track down any miscreants.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:09 pm
WiseOne wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:34 pm There's been large fireworks being exploded all over NYC all night, every night, for a couple of weeks now. It's a problem in other cities too apparently. Well, not "all over." It's in minority neighborhoods as you might guess. There was a post on my neighborhood NextDoor page from someone who tried to call the police. The 311 operator said that the police are not responding to this and it's a "community" matter. People are pissed off to say the least. They are also wondering where these people, who are so in need of welfare and "community investment", are getting the money to buy expensive fireworks. Antifa comes to mind.

Fortunately my little secluded neighborhood is far enough from the minority areas that I'm not losing any sleep. So I can analyze this from an armchair perspective and I'm enjoying it just a bit. A lot of the people who think BLM is the current cool thing and have been so excited about supporting it don't much like crime and disturbances. This is a lot more personal than looting stores and torching police cars. Who knows, it might help turn the tide!
You're already seeing that the police won't do anything about obviously illegal behavior.

If the Democrats win in November I don't think your little secluded neighborhood will be very safe any more. In that case I would expect the whole city will be turned over to the terrorists.
I had a long conversation about this with a friend who also lives in the neighborhood. She's as concerned as I am, but at this point we don't know how things are going to develop. We think that initially, the housing prices in our neighborhood will increase because it will stay safe a lot longer than other neighborhoods - simply because it is far away from any housing projects. It's those housing projects that are the epicenter of the problem. We both used to live near one, and from what we've heard the old neighborhood is suffering badly from the effects. Once we see that happening and if the city continues to do nothing except jack up real estate taxes, that will be the time to get out.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

WiseOne wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:40 am
Libertarian666 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:09 pm

I had a long conversation about this with a friend who also lives in the neighborhood. She's as concerned as I am, but at this point we don't know how things are going to develop. We think that initially, the housing prices in our neighborhood will increase because it will stay safe a lot longer than other neighborhoods - simply because it is far away from any housing projects. It's those housing projects that are the epicenter of the problem. We both used to live near one, and from what we've heard the old neighborhood is suffering badly from the effects. Once we see that happening and if the city continues to do nothing except jack up real estate taxes, that will be the time to get out.
Unfortunately by that time the real estate market will likely already be collapsing. If you're not worried about that, okay, but that is a definite danger.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

Well, I guess they finally went too far when they decided to march on the mayor's house.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

pp4me wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:31 pm Well, I guess they finally went too far when they decided to march on the mayor's house.
Yes, you can't have that! Destroy and/or threaten other people's property, but when it comes to the important people, don't try it.