All hail the new People's Republic of... CHAZ?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

All hail the new People's Republic of... CHAZ?

Post by technovelist » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:45 am

Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: All hail the new People's Republic of... CHAZ?

Post by pp4me » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:53 am

Tucker Carlson had an interesting take on CHAZ. Apparently they believe in strict border control and aren't allowing illegal immigrants into their new country. How do people get so idiotic?
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:02 am

running out of food...
enforcing rules by ... beating people up...

we used to have to read lord of the flies in school.. now they just encourage you to go out and live it...
“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary.”

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:31 am

I've heard some people saying Trump doesn't have the legal authority to send in the military.

Say What? Then how is it that the Confederate States of America isn't still a country?
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:53 am

pp4me wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:31 am
I've heard some people saying Trump doesn't have the legal authority to send in the military.

Say What? Then how is it that the Confederate States of America isn't still a country?
I'm pretty sure that he has the legal authority to send in the military. It's been done before in conditions of insurrection.
Exactly how to handle it is another question.
Whatever he does, he will be attacked by the Marxist media.
But he's used to that.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:53 am

pp4me wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:53 am
Tucker Carlson had an interesting take on CHAZ. Apparently they believe in strict border control and aren't allowing illegal immigrants into their new country. How do people get so idiotic?
Practice!
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:03 am

pp4me wrote:

Several states deciding to leave the Union is so different from rioting in the streets that there is no comparison. Raising an army to keep states in the Union has no legal basis. Assisting governors in keeping order does.

The election of Lincoln prompted seven states to secede. It was raising an army to stop them which prompted many others to secede (or try to). This group was led by Virginia. The official number of post-army secessions is 4, but Maryland (and possibly Delaware) would have if not for federal cannons pointing at Baltimore, and Kentucky had representatives in both governments.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:27 am

Xan wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:03 am
pp4me wrote:

Several states deciding to leave the Union is so different from rioting in the streets that there is no comparison. Raising an army to keep states in the Union has no legal basis. Assisting governors in keeping order does.

The election of Lincoln prompted seven states to secede. It was raising an army to stop them which prompted many others to secede (or try to). This group was led by Virginia. The official number of post-army secessions is 4, but Maryland (and possibly Delaware) would have if not for federal cannons pointing at Baltimore, and Kentucky had representatives in both governments.
Yep.

It's amazing to me how so many people, including otherwise intelligent people like Mark Levin, think Lincoln was a great president.
In reality he was a proto-fascist who pioneered virtually all of the great evils that the later "progressive" presidents re-instituted, including:
1. Income taxation,
2. Unbacked fiat money,
3. Conscription, and
4. Throwing political opponents, including journalists, in jail.
GT

Post by GT » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:28 pm

according to USATODAY there is a free sprit vibe going on -

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 173968001/

"What's the scene like inside the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone?
News reports describe the occupied area as peaceful and safe. The words "Black Lives Matter" were painted on East Pine Street. Free food has been handed out at a "No Cop Co-op." Speakers, poets and other performers share ideas and art.

A sign on the abandoned police precinct reads that the building is "property of the Seattle people." The Seattle Times reported that some protesters hope to turn the building into a community center.

A community garden has also been planted in Cal Anderson Park. "We’re forced to build new plots because people are giving us so many plants," Marcus Henderson, who was working in the gardens, told the Seattle Times."

I look forward to vacationing in CHAZ - what could go wrong
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:35 pm

Isn't there some level of cognitive dissonance when small government libertarians argue against a people's right to self determination? I'm confused....
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:30 pm

doodle wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:35 pm
Isn't there some level of cognitive dissonance when small government libertarians argue against a people's right to self determination? I'm confused....
I'd wager 99% of the people in the CHAZ camp do not live or work there. It's an occupation. There's absolutely no self-determination for the actual citizens who are being abandoned by one side and threatened by the other.

My guess is that this will break up when an enterprising lawyer organizes property owners to sue the crap out of the city for abdicating their responsibility for the area.
Mechanical engineer, history buff, treasure manager... totally not Ben Gates
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:20 pm

technovelist wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:27 am
Xan wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:03 am
pp4me wrote:

Yep.

It's amazing to me how so many people, including otherwise intelligent people like Mark Levin, think Lincoln was a great president.
In reality he was a proto-fascist who pioneered virtually all of the great evils that the later "progressive" presidents re-instituted, including:
1. Income taxation,
2. Unbacked fiat money,
3. Conscription, and
4. Throwing political opponents, including journalists, in jail.
Another great evil he pioneered:

5. Primacy of the federal government over the state governments.

America would have been so much better off if he never was president. Think about it. Probably no Spanish-American war, no World War I, no World War II (for anybody), no cold war, etc. Slavery in America was coming to an end anyway and would have petered out pretty soon on its own, and former slaves probably would have done better in coming to freedom that way than at the point of a gun. No Jim Crow.