Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Privatizing the legal system

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:16 am

Xan wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:42 am
More thoughts on the "anarchic forum": somebody has to run the server.

If everybody has the keys to the server, then you lose the ability to see what different people did and to undo something someone has done. Anybody with access to the server has complete access to do absolutely anything, including push the nuclear button and the site is gone.

Potentially the group could hire an outside party to run the server. Of course there are many issues with that. One is, who pays? (In fact that's an issue regardless of who manages the server.) It seems like the people paid to manage the server would have to be "in on it", in that they could only take action when some percentage of the membership agreed. Then you have to decide who gets a vote, what the thresholds are, etc etc. All this is getting uncomfortably close to a government, but I don't see much way around it.
Anarchy doesn't mean "no rules", it means "no rulers".
Any community, whether in real life or online, must have rules.
So the question is not whether there are rules, but whether some of the participants get to make or enforce the rules without the other participants' continuing agreement.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:04 am

Sorry, I didn't read it before commenting but I remember reading it a long time ago when I was transitioning from what I guess you would call a "conservative" to a libertarian or even an anarcho-capitalist.

I'm going back the other way now and it's not because these aren't good ideas that might even work in practice. It's because they aren't going to happen. It's like the Sermon on the Mount in the New Testament. Nice ideas but not of much value in the real world. Try turning the other cheek when someone hits you in the face and see how well it works.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:15 am

pp4me wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:04 am
Sorry, I didn't read it before commenting but I remember reading it a long time ago when I was transitioning from what I guess you would call a "conservative" to a libertarian or even an anarcho-capitalist.

I'm going back the other way now and it's not because these aren't good ideas that might even work in practice. It's because they aren't going to happen. It's like the Sermon on the Mount in the New Testament. Nice ideas but not of much value in the real world. Try turning the other cheek when someone hits you in the face and see how well it works.
I'm not sure exactly what "going back the other way" means.
I say this because I'm an anarcho-capitalist but I'm also realistic.
That is, I realize that my ideals are not likely to be realized in the real world any time in my lifetime.
But that doesn't mean they aren't my ideals any more; it just means I have to accept that I won't see them realized.
Does this describe your position at all well?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:23 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:11 am

You can buy me a doughnut the next time you come through East Texas. :D
For some reason I felt like Texas had a oddly-large number of donut shops when I lived there. Looking back now, I realize it was the appropriate amount of donut shops.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:18 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:23 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:11 am

You can buy me a doughnut the next time you come through East Texas. :D
For some reason I felt like Texas had a oddly-large number of donut shops when I lived there. Looking back now, I realize it was the appropriate amount of donut shops.
It does seem to be necessary to help a lot of Texans to retain their figures.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:28 am

i was blown away on a road trip across Texas from the western border to Dallas by the absolute saturation of dairy-queen franchises, there is one at every crossroads big enough to have a town name, and two in every town that was longer than a 1/4 mile...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:31 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:15 am
Well, I guess the best way to describe my life philosophy nowadays is the world sucks - get over it.
Last edited by pp4me on Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:02 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:31 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:15 am
Well, I guess the best way to describe my life philosophy nowadays is the worlds sucks - get over it.
That was pretty much HB's position in "How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World".
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:04 pm

l82start wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:28 am
i was blown away on a road trip across Texas from the western border to Dallas by the absolute saturation of dairy-queen franchises, there is one at every crossroads big enough to have a town name, and two in every town that was longer than a 1/4 mile...
We used to go to DQ once in awhile.
Then Susan got shigella after stopping at a DQ on the way back home from Houston (or maybe Austin, I forget).
That was the end of that.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:37 pm

i m not a big fan of soft serve ice-cream, that crap they make from powder does not digest well in my system, even without shigella ..yuck.. real ice-cream i do just fine with, but a milkshake or malt made that way has become rare..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence