Guns guns guns

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Guns guns guns

Post by I Shrugged »

I can't believe how many people I know have run out and bought guns, are getting their carry permits, etc. It's like everyone is doing it. These are people who are basically conservatives, but just never felt the need or desire to own a gun. 70 year old men, 22 year old women, you name it. It's cool to hear how much fun they are having shooting, too. Taking pride in their new found abilities, and just plain fun.

A shooting range would be a good business.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Guns guns guns

Post by vnatale »

I Shrugged wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:30 pm I can't believe how many people I know have run out and bought guns, are getting their carry permits, etc. It's like everyone is doing it. These are people who are basically conservatives, but just never felt the need or desire to own a gun. 70 year old men, 22 year old women, you name it. It's cool to hear how much fun they are having shooting, too. Taking pride in their new found abilities, and just plain fun.

2 miles away on my street is a "rod and gun club". Does that qualify as a shooting range? I'm only there when they allow outside groups to put on music performances or festivals.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

vnatale wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:18 pm
I Shrugged wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:30 pm I can't believe how many people I know have run out and bought guns, are getting their carry permits, etc. It's like everyone is doing it. These are people who are basically conservatives, but just never felt the need or desire to own a gun. 70 year old men, 22 year old women, you name it. It's cool to hear how much fun they are having shooting, too. Taking pride in their new found abilities, and just plain fun.

2 miles away on my street is a "rod and gun club". Does that qualify as a shooting range? I'm only there when they allow outside groups to put on music performances or festivals.

Vinny
If it has a shooting range, then you can call it a shooting range. Nothing complicated there.

Personally, I wish I knew someone who had some rural land near where I live right now where I could shoot. Neither the private club or the public range are really conducive to practical training.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

Tim Pool Gets His First Gun! ALSO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjQ1eHqSCTo
Attachments
chris-tread-setup.jpg
chris-tread-setup.jpg (18.04 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

Just putting this out there
Here are a couple of my favorite informative Gun channels.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6QH13 ... nSa0hZy9uQ

also

https://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:50 am
vnatale wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:18 pm

Vinny
If it has a shooting range, then you can call it a shooting range. Nothing complicated there.

Personally, I wish I knew someone who had some rural land near where I live right now where I could shoot. Neither the private club or the public range are really conducive to practical training.
You caused me to go to their web site and found this:

-----------------------------
Rod & Gun Club Inc. was incorporated under general laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts on May 6, 1953. Our Purpose is to provide for friendly relations, social welfare and interests to its members, their friends, and guests; to promote interest in hunting, fishing, and their related activities; and to recognize and support practical legislation concerning the propagation and protection of fish and game within this Commonwealth.

The club has a 20-station shotgun range for turkey shoots, and a 100-yard handgun and rifle range, 5-8 target pistol range, plus two horseshoe pits.
----------------------------

Then according your definition it is a shooting range? This is all outdoors, I believe. How far do gun shot sounds travel?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

vnatale wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:04 am The club has a 20-station shotgun range for turkey shoots, and a 100-yard handgun and rifle range, 5-8 target pistol range, plus two horseshoe pits.
----------------------------

Then according your definition it is a shooting range? This is all outdoors, I believe. How far do gun shot sounds travel?

Vinny
Vinny, it's not some kind of code. They plainly said they have shooting ranges.
This is all outdoors, I believe. How far do gun shot sounds travel?

Vinny
It really just depends. For instance, if the range is in a holler with trees on the hills the sounds don't travel too far. You probably couldn't hear it down the road. On open terrain you can hear them quite a ways off.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:09 pm

It really just depends. For instance, if the range is in a holler with trees on the hills the sounds don't travel too far. You probably couldn't hear it down the road. On open terrain you can hear them quite a ways off.
I don't think we have holler's here as I've never seen reference to one. But the area is surrounded by trees and it at least 1/4 or 1/2 mile from my street once you pull into their "driveway".

I've never heard about anyone complaining about the sounds coming from here. However, there were complaints about the RPM (Rock / Punk / Metal) Festival sounds being heard. Caused the festival organizers to make some adjustments.

I went to the festival the two prior years (cancelled this year). The initial draw for me is that I love Rock, like Punk, but have not much need for Metal, mostly due to the vocals.

Unfortunately, the proportion of the music for each genre is about the inverse to how I like each genre. The Metal musicians are generally quite good and there are some national and even worldwide known bands that play. But, generally, once they open their mouths to sing, they lose me. I found a partial solution for one stage by getting in a position next to the stage so that the PA system was behind me and I'm hearing mostly music and hardly any vocals.

Vinny
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

vnatale wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:32 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:09 pm

I don't think we have holler's here as I've never seen reference to one.
You're a funny guy, Vinny.