Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Another angle on the recent events in America and the world

Post by vnatale » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:19 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:52 pm
Before it gets to the point of military vs citizens, said citizens will have been thoroughly demonized so that it will be much easier for the state’s agents to act in good conscience. An inexact example would be David Koresh and the rest at Waco. Or Jews in Germany, intellectuals in Russia and lots of other countries, etc.

What exactly do you hold to be the crimes of "David Koresh and the rest at Waco"?

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:20 pm

technovelist wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:04 pm
I Shrugged wrote:
Before it gets to the point of military vs citizens, said citizens will have been thoroughly demonized so that it will be much easier for the state’s agents to act in good conscience. An inexact example would be David Koresh and the rest at Waco. Or Jews in Germany, intellectuals in Russia and lots of other countries, etc.
That's what the lamestream media is trying to do to Trump supporters.
But it's not going to work.
Especially because he is very popular with the military.
What are you talking about...

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:24 pm

technovelist wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:02 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:19 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:08 pm

When I say that owning a gun is not so much about burglars etc., I don't mean to say it's not an effective deterrent. What I was implying was that the principle of gun ownership and the second amendment is first and foremost about the public's relationship to government. It is, as a principle, so dangerous to have a well armed government and unarmed citizens. The defense of oneself from burglars just wasn't as relevant to the political stance I was talking about in the OP.
If the military turned against the citizens I don't care how well armed those citizens are, they are not going to win. Do any of you know any well-armed citizens who can fight against tanks and planes? The 2nd amendment was written way before either of those was ever imagined.

Vinny
I recommend asking the Afghans and the Soviets how that worked out for them.
I would not compare the typical Afghan to the typical American. We live a much softer life than them as evidenced by 35.5% of us being obese while only 5.5% of them are.

Vinny
Lonestar

Post by Lonestar » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:27 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:51 pm
pugchief wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:44 pm
Am I the only one here that thinks part of the reason the rioting has gotten so out of hand is bc of the Covid lockdown? I agree with Scott Adams that this has set the progress of Black back 10 years. But doesn't take much to make people snap under the conditions we've been under.
I’m with you Pug. My wife and I just had that conversation. And we added hot weather to the mix. Pressure cooker times indeed.
Very good point, but all of us on this forum have had to endure these issues and inconveniences for the last couple of months. Yet how many of us have had the urge to loot, set buildings and/or police cars on fire or create mass confusion to law abiding citizens? Who knows? Maybe more than I think.................
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:28 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:19 pm
I Shrugged wrote:

What exactly do you hold to be the crimes of "David Koresh and the rest at Waco"?

Vinny
Not much of anything, near as I could tell afterwards. But the government told us they were raping minors etc.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:39 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:28 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:19 pm
I Shrugged wrote:

Vinny
Not much of anything, near as I could tell afterwards. But the government told us they were raping minors etc.
Yes. You have it about right.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:03 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:40 pm
I think Antifa majorly overestimated how popular they are with most Americans. It looks like most everyone hates them.
If ever there was a misnomer, it’s the name Antifa. I know, they chose it for a reason, so I can’t call it a true misnomer. But it’s like cockroaches calling themselves the The Anti-Termite Federation. But they’re cockroaches.
RIP Charlie Daniels
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:06 pm

technovelist wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:03 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:38 pm
I think this might be somewhat related to this topic.

How close or far do you live from any of the unrest of the last several days?

Closest to me is Boston - 1.75 hours / 90 miles away.

Where I live is quite rural, economically diverse neighborhood, houses with wide ranging values ($100,000 to $500,000?). I'd expect us to be one of the last areas to be affected, if ever.

Vinny
We live about 100 miles from Dallas, surrounded by cows. If the Antifa creeps ever come out here, they won't last long.
Tech, the first thing that came to mind when I read your comment was the song below.
I think I need help ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMbXvn2RNI
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:33 am

Hal wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:06 pm
technovelist wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Where I live is quite rural, economically diverse neighborhood, houses with wide ranging values ($100,000 to $500,000?). I'd expect us to be one of the last areas to be affected, if ever.

Vinny
We live about 100 miles from Dallas, surrounded by cows. If the Antifa creeps ever come out here, they won't last long.
Tech, the first thing that came to mind when I read your comment was the song below.
I think I need help ;)

You certainly do!
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:36 am

Hal wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:06 pm
technovelist wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
I think I need help ;)

That was a hoot and a half! The steak pun was awesome, well done, rare indeed. ;D
Vocation - doing what God has given me to do for the sake of the other.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:36 am

Clever Churchgoers Avoid Arrest By Disguising Themselves As Rioters

LOS ANGELES, CA—Religious people in Southern California have found a bold, creative solution for in-person meetings in spite of the continuing lockdown. This past weekend, several area churches attended church services disguised as righteously indignant rioters.

"We already have the righteous indignation thing down," said one church elder. "Now, we've simply added black balaclavas, hoodies, Guy Fawkes masks, and baseball bats! We found that when we do this, we can meet in large groups without much interference from the local authorities. It's been a delightful experience."link
LOL, Babylon Bee bringing its A game.
Some 5500 years ago, before writing was invented to record it, the people of the city of Hamoukar, near rich copper mines, were subjected to the first known instance of urban warfare when an army from the city of Uruk attacked and fought their way through the streets, killing most everyone.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:57 am

vnatale wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:24 pm
technovelist wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:02 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:19 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:08 pm

When I say that owning a gun is not so much about burglars etc., I don't mean to say it's not an effective deterrent. What I was implying was that the principle of gun ownership and the second amendment is first and foremost about the public's relationship to government. It is, as a principle, so dangerous to have a well armed government and unarmed citizens. The defense of oneself from burglars just wasn't as relevant to the political stance I was talking about in the OP.
If the military turned against the citizens I don't care how well armed those citizens are, they are not going to win. Do any of you know any well-armed citizens who can fight against tanks and planes? The 2nd amendment was written way before either of those was ever imagined.

Vinny
I recommend asking the Afghans and the Soviets how that worked out for them.
I would not compare the typical Afghan to the typical American. We live a much softer life than them as evidenced by 35.5% of us being obese while only 5.5% of them are.

Vinny
So the ability to resist tyranny is dependent on having the correct BMI?
That's certainly a novel theory.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0