Another angle on the recent events in America and the world

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Another angle on the recent events in America and the world

Post by Smith1776 » Sun May 31, 2020 2:30 am

Recently, tighter gun control laws were enacted here in Canada, and that has spurred some off the cuff thoughts on my part regarding the news lately.

For those who are proponents of gun control who are outraged at the killing of innocent people like George Floyd at the hands of the police, or the detainment of journalists, or the shooting of innocent civilians like in this video, I hope they are now beginning to understand the importance of upholding the public’s right to own firearms.

These are all just small instances of a larger issue at play. Owning a gun has scant relevance to defending yourself against terrorists, burglars, or flying saucers. It’s about defending yourself against a police state that does not care for your well-being or your liberties.

Whether you're talking about Snowden's revelations, the oppression and censorship endured by the Chinese, or any other countless examples, it is clear that oppressive government regimes are not the stuff of tinfoil hat conspiracy theories. The recent events in America and Hong Kong, and the long passage of history should further make that obvious.

The founding fathers knew that the only way to keep a government in check was by giving citizens the right to defend themselves. But there are now too many complacent people in industrialized countries that simply don’t care about something that they should be fighting tooth and nail to keep.

I feel like I'm really kicking the hornets nest with a post like this. Opinions are always welcome.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bad_Cop_No_Don ... ou_police/
PP: 20% KILO.B | 5% SBT.B | 60% VCIP | 15% VVL/VMO/VVO/VLQ
VP: 100% XGD
Liquidity: 90 Days of Expenses Bank Cash
Physical Bullion: 5% of Net Worth Gold & Silver
Knucklehead (noun): Someone who knows the expense ratio of everything but the value of nothing.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Another angle on the recent events in America and the world

Post by Hal » Sun May 31, 2020 3:47 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:30 am
Recently, tighter gun control laws were enacted here in Canada, and that has spurred some off the cuff thoughts on my part regarding the news lately.
Sounds similar to Australia

Coronavirus -> Reaction Ban Gun/Ammunition sales??

https://ssaavic.com.au/gun-ban-hurting-dealers/
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun May 31, 2020 6:31 am

Guns are actually very relevant in defending yourself from terrorists and burglars.
There's this very disturbing set of studies where about half the articles printed in Science and Nature magazines, the two leading publications, involved experiments that could not be repeated by anybody.
- Peter Thiel
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sun May 31, 2020 8:53 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 2:30 am

For those who are proponents of gun control who are outraged at the killing of innocent people like George Floyd at the hands of the police, or the detainment of journalists, or the shooting of innocent civilians like in this video, I hope they are now beginning to understand the importance of upholding the public’s right to own firearms.

These are all just small instances of a larger issue at play. Owning a gun has scant relevance to defending yourself against terrorists, burglars, or flying saucers. It’s about defending yourself against a police state that does not care for your well-being or your liberties.

Whether you're talking about Snowden's revelations, the oppression and censorship endured by the Chinese, or any other countless examples, it is clear that oppressive government regimes are not the stuff of tinfoil hat conspiracy theories. The recent events in America and Hong Kong, and the long passage of history should further make that obvious.

The founding fathers knew that the only way to keep a government in check was by giving citizens the right to defend themselves. But there are now too many complacent people in industrialized countries that simply don’t care about something that they should be fighting tooth and nail to keep.

I feel like I'm really kicking the hornets nest with a post like this. Opinions are always welcome.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bad_Cop_No_Don ... ou_police/
It is not only about the Police State..
How are you going to defend YOU and your Loved Ones?
There is EVIL in this World,and it is up to You that is ultimately responsible for your Security.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sun May 31, 2020 12:05 pm

shekels wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:53 am

It is not only about the Police State..
How are you going to defend YOU and your Loved Ones?
There is EVIL in this World,and it is up to You that is ultimately responsible for your Security.
+1
https://nationalshooting.org.au/blog/f/ ... r-off-dead

https://medium.com/leyonhjelm/the-polic ... 8d076ebb78

Rather passionate about this as we were on the receiving end of a potential home invasion.
And "Lassie came to the rescue" - I had never seen our dogs so vicious as on that night when they(?) attempted to kick in the door.
Think they had second thoughts about what would happen to them if they got inside.
Attachments
On a lighter note.....png
On a lighter note.....png (324.48 KiB) Viewed 523 times
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun May 31, 2020 1:15 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:31 am
Guns are actually very relevant in defending yourself from terrorists and burglars.
Yes but the thinking behind the 2nd amendment was that armed citizens won't be ruled by tyrants. I wish the pro-2A advocates would stress that more, instead of putting so much of their efforts behind the personal protection angle. Because, there is no counter-argument, other than "Our nation will never become a tyranny or be overrun by one." One would think that the anti-Trumpers might, deep down, see the point. Given their views of him as a tyrant. I know they won't though, because "once they are in charge", all will be lovely.

In any event, I suggest pointing out and defending the real reason for armed citizens, whenever one is advocating for that right. My God, just start listing the examples, and they never end. Cambodia. Nazi Germany. Haiti. On and on. When I have pointed this out to the snowflakes in my life, it seems to stop them in their tracks and make them say, "Hmmmm."
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Sun May 31, 2020 5:12 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:15 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:31 am
Yes but the thinking behind the 2nd amendment was that armed citizens won't be ruled by tyrants. I wish the pro-2A advocates would stress that more, instead of putting so much of their efforts behind the personal protection angle. Because, there is no counter-argument, other than "Our nation will never become a tyranny or be overrun by one." One would think that the anti-Trumpers might, deep down, see the point. Given their views of him as a tyrant. I know they won't though, because "once they are in charge", all will be lovely.

In any event, I suggest pointing out and defending the real reason for armed citizens, whenever one is advocating for that right. My God, just start listing the examples, and they never end. Cambodia. Nazi Germany. Haiti. On and on. When I have pointed this out to the snowflakes in my life, it seems to stop them in their tracks and make them say, "Hmmmm."
After a bit of research, the "No taxation without representation" seems a common theme.
Was this ever an issue in Canada? And how did the Canadian "British Subjects" obtain the right to vote?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc0OoyfaB2o

PS: Gun registration came in just after the Eureka Stockade
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun May 31, 2020 7:19 pm

Whether you are pro-firearms or anti-firearms, I just can't imagine any means by which the U.S. population would be disarmed. It's not going to happen. Maybe at some point, after we're all long gone, they will prohibit the sale of bullets, and they'll have to be bought on the black market.
New York City disbanded its anticrime unit of plainclothes officers on June 15, part of a $1 billion reduction in the city’s police budget. —WSJ
Lonestar

Post by Lonestar » Sun May 31, 2020 7:39 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:19 pm
Whether you are pro-firearms or anti-firearms, I just can't imagine any means by which the U.S. population would be disarmed. It's not going to happen. Maybe at some point, after we're all long gone, they will prohibit the sale of bullets, and they'll have to be bought on the black market.
You may be right but doesn't mean "they" won't try.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun May 31, 2020 8:49 pm

I wonder how many serious gun owners there are in the US. Because the ones I have known have many guns and thousands of rounds of ammo. And there are a lot of them. There have to be hundreds of millions of rounds of ammo in private hands.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:26 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:49 pm
I wonder how many serious gun owners there are in the US. Because the ones I have known have many guns and thousands of rounds of ammo. And there are a lot of them. There have to be hundreds of millions of rounds of ammo in private hands.
There are enough of them to take on their police departments. Maybe. But how are they going to do against the military?

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:06 am

a7b6d2c9acf1.jpg
a7b6d2c9acf1.jpg (58.2 KiB) Viewed 374 times