Some 2020 General Election Polls

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3748
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Some 2020 General Election Polls

Post by sophie » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:32 pm

Ad Orientem wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:55 am
Joe Biden is wrong on a wide range of issues that I care about. But he is not a fascist socialist. And the lawlessness that most Americans are concerned with is centered at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
regarding your first sentence: Joe Biden USED to be a moderate Democrat. He's no longer capable of that. Once elected, he would simply be a route by which radical Democrats like AOC will gain power. Hoping more people come to realize that.

regarding your second sentence: Many things Trump does are in bad taste and some of his executive orders can be (and have been) challenged, but lawless? Please provide details as I'm not aware of anything Trump has done that rises to that description. On the contrary, I'd say the Democrats are doing a pretty darned good job at being lawless.
User avatar
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3263
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:47 pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: Some 2020 General Election Polls

Post by Ad Orientem » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:35 pm

pugchief wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:00 pm
Ad Orientem wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:55 am
Joe Biden is wrong on a wide range of issues that I care about. But he is not a fascist socialist. And the lawlessness that most Americans are concerned with is centered at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
He may not be personally, but he has embraced much of the far left platform to appease that faction of the party.

I can't even respond to your second sentence without being impolite other than to say the riots are a bigger concern to most people who do not have TDS.

Polling data would suggest then that TDS now afflicts a substantial majority of Americans.
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 6259
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Some 2020 General Election Polls

Post by technovelist » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:45 pm

sophie wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:32 pm
Ad Orientem wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:55 am
Joe Biden is wrong on a wide range of issues that I care about. But he is not a fascist socialist. And the lawlessness that most Americans are concerned with is centered at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
regarding your first sentence: Joe Biden USED to be a moderate Democrat. He's no longer capable of that. Once elected, he would simply be a route by which radical Democrats like AOC will gain power. Hoping more people come to realize that.

regarding your second sentence: Many things Trump does are in bad taste and some of his executive orders can be (and have been) challenged, but lawless? Please provide details as I'm not aware of anything Trump has done that rises to that description. On the contrary, I'd say the Democrats are doing a pretty darned good job at being lawless.
Those with TDS always speak in generalities because there are no details to back up their claims.
Furthermore, they always accuse us of doing what they themselves are doing.
As far as lawlessness in particular, every other recent President has committed numerous unconstitutional acts, but no one has been able to name a single such act that Trump has committed.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
User avatar
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:43 am

Re: Some 2020 General Election Polls

Post by Maddy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:05 pm

Ad Orientem wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:56 am
Either you slipped a digit or you need to lay off the left handed Luckys. History suggests a "closet Trump" vote of around 1-2% which in a close election (i.e. 2016) and with a strong turnout, coupled with weak turnout for Clinton, was enough to carry a bunch of swing states he wasn't expected to, albeit by his fingernails. Trump won PA, MI and WI by a combined margin of around 107k votes out of 120 million cast nationally. This year the Democrats are on fire and it is team Trump that is lagging in enthusiasm for all but his hardcore supporters. (Maybe 35% of the electorate). The level of denial I have been witnessing among Trump fans, is bordering on delusion.
I'd submit that there is no historical precedent for the Marxist hijacking of the democratic party, or what may be happening in the minds of moderate left-wing voters as a result.
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 6259
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Some 2020 General Election Polls

Post by technovelist » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:14 pm

Maddy wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:05 pm
Ad Orientem wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:56 am
Either you slipped a digit or you need to lay off the left handed Luckys. History suggests a "closet Trump" vote of around 1-2% which in a close election (i.e. 2016) and with a strong turnout, coupled with weak turnout for Clinton, was enough to carry a bunch of swing states he wasn't expected to, albeit by his fingernails. Trump won PA, MI and WI by a combined margin of around 107k votes out of 120 million cast nationally. This year the Democrats are on fire and it is team Trump that is lagging in enthusiasm for all but his hardcore supporters. (Maybe 35% of the electorate). The level of denial I have been witnessing among Trump fans, is bordering on delusion.
I'd submit that there is no historical precedent for the Marxist hijacking of the democratic party, or what may be happening in the minds of moderate left-wing voters as a result.
I don't know if "the Democrats are on fire", but their cities are: Image
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1898
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Some 2020 General Election Polls

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:50 pm

What Trump supporters are missing, maybe, is there is an increase in people like me (moderate/left leaning) that supported Trump because we didn't want Hilary, but are much more ok with Biden this time around.

A good portion of this is not logical. I am smart enough to realize that about myself.

You can make a list of policies enacted by Trump on one side and Biden on the other and take the names away, and for all I know, I'd be happier with the policies that Trump is doing.

But it doesn't matter. That's what you might be missing. Since it is wrapped in Trump, it just doesn't matter. I'd rather have almost anybody but Trump. Logical? No. Reality? Yes.

When there are people on the fence going into the voting booth, with Trump and Biden staring back at them from the sheet or screen, I bet you the majority are going to say to themselves I cannot have another 4 years of the divisiveness that just happened and they will vote Biden.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Re: Some 2020 General Election Polls

Post by pp4me » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:11 pm

I have absolutely no evidence to back this up but I have a conspiracy theory that the Dem plan is for Biden to resign some time before his first term is up. Therefore the VP nominee is going to need a lot more scrutiny than usual.
anato
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:25 pm

Re: Some 2020 General Election Polls

Post by anato » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:20 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:50 pm
When there are people on the fence going into the voting booth, with Trump and Biden staring back at them from the sheet or screen, I bet you the majority are going to say to themselves I cannot have another 4 years of the divisiveness that just happened and they will vote Biden.
I'm not a citizen, hence I don't vote, but I live here and cannot but see this happening while being a tad detached. It honestly feels this is like having 2 kids, one making a huge tantrum, 4y long, and as a parent giving in just to make it go away. (The left, politicians and media, in this case being the kid making the tantrum).

I understand the reasoning, and having 2 kids I do really appreciate the bliss of quiet, but it really really really feels like the wrong way to cast a vote.
It's like saying to the left now (and could be the right or whoever else tomorrow): just make as much noise as you can, make my life as insofferable as possible, then I'll cave in and you can have it.
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 6259
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Some 2020 General Election Polls

Post by technovelist » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:29 pm

pp4me wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:11 pm
I have absolutely no evidence to back this up but I have a conspiracy theory that the Dem plan is for Biden to resign some time before his first term is up. Therefore the VP nominee is going to need a lot more scrutiny than usual.
You're way too late on the timescale.
Should the Democrats by some tremendous misfortune be able to steal the election, he won't even make it to inauguration day
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
User avatar
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:43 am

Re: Some 2020 General Election Polls

Post by Maddy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:06 pm

I'm really amazed that somebody hasn't denounced the democratic party's abuse of an obviously disabled man, and why Adult Protective Services hasn't shut this whole thing down.
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 6259
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Some 2020 General Election Polls

Post by technovelist » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:11 pm

Maddy wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:06 pm
I'm really amazed that somebody hasn't denounced the democratic party's abuse of an obviously disabled man, and why Adult Protective Services hasn't shut this whole thing down.
Because all they care about is power. The fact that he should be in memory care instead of running for President is irrelevant to them so long as he serves their purposes.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:04 am

Re: Some 2020 General Election Polls

Post by flyingpylon » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:38 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:50 pm
What Trump supporters are missing, maybe, is there is an increase in people like me (moderate/left leaning) that supported Trump because we didn't want Hilary, but are much more ok with Biden this time around.

A good portion of this is not logical. I am smart enough to realize that about myself.

You can make a list of policies enacted by Trump on one side and Biden on the other and take the names away, and for all I know, I'd be happier with the policies that Trump is doing.

But it doesn't matter. That's what you might be missing. Since it is wrapped in Trump, it just doesn't matter. I'd rather have almost anybody but Trump. Logical? No. Reality? Yes.

When there are people on the fence going into the voting booth, with Trump and Biden staring back at them from the sheet or screen, I bet you the majority are going to say to themselves I cannot have another 4 years of the divisiveness that just happened and they will vote Biden.
You keep coming back to “divisiveness”. There’s no question that Trump can be inartful, abrasive, tactless, antagonistic, etc. and clearly he does himself no favors with a portion of the population. I wish he could be better about that and be far more effective at communicating his policy goals.

But I would argue that much of the divisiveness is coming from his opponents whether they be Democrats, Never Trumpers, Media, etc. The amount of fake news, false narratives and all sorts of other bad behavior is way off the charts. They push the narrative that Trump is divisive and then do the same things (or worse) that they accuse him of. That effectively plays to people’s emotions and ratchets up the discord and division.

So Trump is not blameless. But if division is truly a major issue for you, you really need to take a good hard look at all of the instigators.
Post Reply