Some 2020 General Election Polls

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Some 2020 General Election Polls

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:21 am
vnatale wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:11 amCapture.JPG
You are going to be very disappointed in November.
The "analysis" you have posted will look just as prescient as the "Why aren't I 50 points ahead?" speech.
The Democrats are fielding the worst Presidential candidate in my lifetime, and Trump has more support in the Republican party than did Reagan or even Lincoln.
I will NOT disagree with your last sentence.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Shocker! Not all polls are equal. FiveThirtyEight has done an interesting job of ranking polls by their methodology, general accuracy and political biases.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pollster-ratings/

On a side note, there weren't a whole lot of new polls last week except in Democratic leaning states, which generally had no real surprises. Biden was ahead consistently and by wide margins. I saw no point in posting them. In the future I will probably skip polls from states that are normally reliably Democratic or Republican unless they are signalling something unusual like the last two from Texas.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Two new polls...

Ohio: Trump vs. Biden- Emerson- Trump 46, Biden 43- Trump +3
Texas: Trump vs. Biden- Emerson- Trump 47, Biden 41- Trump +6
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

And three more...

National: Trump vs. Biden- Ipsos- Biden 46, Trump 38- Biden +8

Wisconsin: Trump vs. Biden- Marquette Biden 46, Trump 43- Biden +3
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

General Election: Trump vs. Biden- Economist/YouGov Biden 47, Trump 43- Biden +4
General Election: Trump vs. Biden- CNN/SSRS Biden 51, Trump 46- Biden +5
Georgia: Trump vs. Biden- POS- Biden 47, Trump 46- Biden +1
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

MangoMan wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:24 pm The only polls that really matter are in the 4 or so swing states in the upper midwest and maybe one other. The rest of the states are already a lock for red or blue. It's not like CA, IL, NY are ever going to vote red.

I largely agree which is why I am not bothering to post the polls from states that are obviously not in play. The states that are likely battlegrounds are Arizona, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Some polls have suggested Texas and Georgia might be in play, but I am skeptical. Trump won almost all of these states. But often by razor thin margins.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

Ad Orientem wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:34 pm
MangoMan wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:24 pm The only polls that really matter are in the 4 or so swing states in the upper midwest and maybe one other. The rest of the states are already a lock for red or blue. It's not like CA, IL, NY are ever going to vote red.

I largely agree which is why I am not bothering to post the polls from states that are obviously not in play. The states that are likely battlegrounds are Arizona, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Some polls have suggested Texas and Georgia might be in play, but I am skeptical. Trump won almost all of these states. But often by razor thin margins.
Seeing my state on here makes me happy that for probably the first time in my entire life my vote may actually matter.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I hadn’t heard of Justin Amash until today. Going to be interesting.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:06 pm I hadn’t heard of Justin Amash until today. Going to be interesting.
You must have missed the one below and then the subsequent response to it?

Vinny

As both a Never-Biden and Never-Trump voter....I finally have a choice! Justin Amash as the Libertarian candidate!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Yeah, I’ve been staying out of the political threads for a while. I did search the forum for his last name and nothing came up. I guess it hadn’t been indexed yet, or the search was hanging and I gave up.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (167.09 KiB) Viewed 5454 times
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Florida: Biden vs Trump- Florida Atlantic University- Biden 53, Trump 47- Biden +6
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

vnatale wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:26 pmCapture.JPG
If you actually think that has any relationship to reality, you can bet on it on PredictIt.
I wouldn't recommend it, though: Biden is going to get smoked in November, and so is the Democrat party in general.
But you have a few more months to fantasize, so have fun while it lasts.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

I wouldn't be putting bets on anything this far out. Six months is a long time in an ordinary election year. And this one is going to be nuts. But if the election were this Tuesday, I'd bet the house on Biden. Polls can be wrong. The Florida poll I posted above has a margin of error of around 3%. And the polls were wrong in 2016, but not by much. They had Clinton winning most of the battleground states by very low margins. In the end it was Trump who won most of them by very low margins. Turn out matters. So the polls were off, but within the generally accepted margin of error. For Trump to win in a hypothetical election this Tuesday, the polls would have to be off by margins that could not be explained w/o raising the specter of widespread election fraud.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Libertarian666 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:03 am Biden is going to get smoked in November, and so is the Democrat party in general.
I thought so, too, until I recently realized that the left's motive appears to be maximizing national panic and economic damage to prevent Trump from being a "wartime president" who presides over a quick social and economic recovery.

The left has brought out the big guns this time, and it just might work. They may not hesitate to continue to make the entire nation suffer until November if it means defeating Trump. They've tried everything else without any luck.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

Tortoise wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:40 am
Libertarian666 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:03 am Biden is going to get smoked in November, and so is the Democrat party in general.
I thought so, too, until I recently realized that the left's motive appears to be maximizing national panic and economic damage to prevent Trump from being a "wartime president" who presides over a quick social and economic recovery.

The left has brought out the big guns this time, and it just might work. They may not hesitate to continue to make the entire nation suffer until November if it means defeating Trump. They've tried everything else without any luck.
Yes. We have a perfect storm here for a power shift. Historically speaking, there is a high correlation in a power swing between parties during times of high unemployment. This is why the republicans are pushing really hard to open the economy and minimize the public opinion of the virus, for their own selfish reasons. Likewise, the left for their own selfish reasons are taking the opposite side and trying to maximize the public opinion of the virus and keep the economy shut. We are the pawns stuck in the middle of both of their selfish power struggles. None of what they say is really about us, it's all about them keeping their jobs and gaining/keeping power.

To prove this point you can look at Sweden, where the roles are reversed and the incumbents in the left are the ones keeping the economy open and minimizing the public perception of the virus, and the rights are the ones saying they should close the economy and maximizing the perception of the virus. If the democrats were in charge here today we likely would see this same swapped dynamic, where it would be the republicans hammering the democrats to close the economy and the democrats trying to open. This can also be seen in the budget, remember the tea party when Obama was in office? Yet how much worse has the deficit increase been under Trump? Moreover, Trump himself has been hammering the Fed to do QE and take rates negative his whole office tenure so he can increase the deficit on the cheap. Yet where is the tea party now screaming about balancing the budget? Both sides are full of crap. I don't trust either. But the left does stand a real chance coming out of this crisis. Trump has made a lot of very public mistakes. His presidency has been a very poor one, and public opinion is reflecting that. I just wish we had a better alternative. This election is very much like the South Park episode with turd sandwich vs giant douche.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Budget deficits are the great bugaboo of the GOP... when they are not in power. When in office they are rarely mentioned. The reality is we do not have a conservative party in the country, and have not for the last twenty years or so. We have a party of the left, and a populist cult of personality masquerading as a conservative party. I am done with the GOP until Trumpism is firmly repudiated. IMO for the GOP to return to its senses and core values, it must first be purged via a trip to the electoral woodshed.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

pmward wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:05 pm
Tortoise wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:40 am

Yes. We have a perfect storm here for a power shift. Historically speaking, there is a high correlation in a power swing between parties during times of high unemployment. This is why the republicans are pushing really hard to open the economy and minimize the public opinion of the virus, for their own selfish reasons. Likewise, the left for their own selfish reasons are taking the opposite side and trying to maximize the public opinion of the virus and keep the economy shut. We are the pawns stuck in the middle of both of their selfish power struggles. None of what they say is really about us, it's all about them keeping their jobs and gaining/keeping power.

To prove this point you can look at Sweden, where the roles are reversed and the incumbents in the left are the ones keeping the economy open and minimizing the public perception of the virus, and the rights are the ones saying they should close the economy and maximizing the perception of the virus. If the democrats were in charge here today we likely would see this same swapped dynamic, where it would be the republicans hammering the democrats to close the economy and the democrats trying to open. This can also be seen in the budget, remember the tea party when Obama was in office? Yet how much worse has the deficit increase been under Trump? Moreover, Trump himself has been hammering the Fed to do QE and take rates negative his whole office tenure so he can increase the deficit on the cheap. Yet where is the tea party now screaming about balancing the budget? Both sides are full of crap. I don't trust either. But the left does stand a real chance coming out of this crisis. Trump has made a lot of very public mistakes. His presidency has been a very poor one, and public opinion is reflecting that. I just wish we had a better alternative. This election is very much like the South Park episode with turd sandwich vs giant douche.

Just now... Trump downplays the need for coronavirus vaccine: ‘It’ll go away at some point’
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/15/trump-d ... point.html
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

Ad Orientem wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:18 pm Budget deficits are the great bugaboo of the GOP... when they are not in power. When in office they are rarely mentioned. The reality is we do not have a conservative party in the country, and have not for the last twenty years or so. We have a party of the left, and a populist cult of personality masquerading as a conservative party. I am done with the GOP until Trumpism is firmly repudiated. IMO for the GOP to return to its senses and core values, it must first be purged via a trip to the electoral woodshed.
Amen! Yes budget balancing is merely a weapon they like to use to inflict pain when there is a democrat in office. They know budget balancing is bad for the economy, and in turn for the democratic re-election bid. When a republican is in office, they are not going to unleash that weapon on themselves, instead they do the opposite and increase the budget in order to help buy votes and solidify their own re-election.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Well, there's certainly something to that. I mean, the Trump Bucks that got sent out, and the bailouts, are an usually something the Republican party would not be in favor of. The Democrats only didn't like them because the government didn't "give away" even more money or insert even stupider shit. So the Republicans threw me on that one, but still... the alternative is the Democrats, which are less desirable in every way I'm aware of.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

That might have been true [dislike of bailouts] of the Republican party 30 years ago, but remember they were the ones who asked for TARP in 2008, right?

I agree that the budget deficit is mostly used as a convenient hammer by both parties, whenever it serves their purpose. No one seems to think it's a serious issue. I hope they're not wrong.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

Also, am I the only one getting Trump propaganda texted to my phone every day lately? Been driving me crazy.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

What did you do to start getting them?
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:24 pm What did you do to start getting them?
Nothing I'm aware of. All from unknown random numbers.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

That sucks.