vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Some 2020 General Election Polls

Post by vnatale » Sat May 16, 2020 7:54 pm

Ad Orientem wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:17 pm
Breaking News: Justin Amash is not running for president. :(
What prompted that??!!! If true, that leaves me candidate-less!

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Sat May 16, 2020 9:49 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:54 pm
Ad Orientem wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:17 pm
Breaking News: Justin Amash is not running for president. :(
What prompted that??!!! If true, that leaves me candidate-less!

Vinny

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/16/us/p ... e=Homepage

I feel your pain. Maybe I will do a write in.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Mon May 18, 2020 11:41 am

Colorado: Biden v Trump- Global Strategies- Biden 53, Trump 40- Biden +13
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon May 18, 2020 12:59 pm

Not really surprising. Keep in mind that Trump is repeatedly hammered in the media while Biden has been mostly kept out of sight, and polls are little more than popularity contests at this point.

However - I predict there will be some pretext to cancel the debates and limit Biden's public appearances to a small number of brief, carefully scripted events. Even more I bet they will be heavily edited, and perhaps touched up with his past speeches, before being released to the networks. There will be no live events apart from Queen-like waving from a distant balcony. Meanwhile the media will continue to hammer Trump for all they're worth. That's clearly the strategy, and I suspect the election will hinge on its success.

The choice of Democratic VP will be largely ignored as usual, but...that person will be President within days after the inauguration, if Biden is elected. Very clever DNC strategy for burying the populist candidates that otherwise would have dominated.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Mon May 18, 2020 1:37 pm

sophie wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:59 pm
Not really surprising. Keep in mind that Trump is repeatedly hammered in the media while Biden has been mostly kept out of sight, and polls are little more than popularity contests at this point.

However - I predict there will be some pretext to cancel the debates and limit Biden's public appearances to a small number of brief, carefully scripted events. Even more I bet they will be heavily edited, and perhaps touched up with his past speeches, before being released to the networks. There will be no live events apart from Queen-like waving from a distant balcony. Meanwhile the media will continue to hammer Trump for all they're worth. That's clearly the strategy, and I suspect the election will hinge on its success.

The choice of Democratic VP will be largely ignored as usual, but...that person will be President within days after the inauguration, if Biden is elected. Very clever DNC strategy for burying the populist candidates that otherwise would have dominated.
I predict that Biden won't be the nominee. The most likely way they will fix it is to pick someone else at the convention.
Anyone want to guess who it's going to be? Hint: initials are HRC.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon May 18, 2020 1:52 pm

A Hilary-Trump rematch? Oh that would be special!

It would be a lot less sinister and more, well, democratic if another candidate were chosen openly at the convention. In fact, the more I think about it a constitutional crisis could result if the President were effectively appointed by a bunch of backroom dealers, rather than legitimately elected.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon May 18, 2020 3:14 pm

sophie wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:59 pm
However - I predict there will be some pretext to cancel the debates and limit Biden's public appearances to a small number of brief, carefully scripted events. Even more I bet they will be heavily edited, and perhaps touched up with his past speeches, before being released to the networks. There will be no live events apart from Queen-like waving from a distant balcony.
I'm starting to get a Weekend at Bernie's vibe from the Biden campaign.

Joe is just Biden his time now.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Mon May 18, 2020 4:35 pm

sophie wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:52 pm
A Hilary-Trump rematch? Oh that would be special!

It would be a lot less sinister and more, well, democratic if another candidate were chosen openly at the convention. In fact, the more I think about it a constitutional crisis could result if the President were effectively appointed by a bunch of backroom dealers, rather than legitimately elected.
According to some "experts", if Trump is re-elected that will be the death of democracy.
(LOL)
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon May 18, 2020 5:34 pm

I think it may just be really hard to oust a sitting President running for another term. I couldn't believe it when Obama won in 2012, especially since Scott Brown had just been elected in Massachusetts of all places running on an anti-Obamacare platform.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Mon May 18, 2020 6:35 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:34 pm
I think it may just be really hard to oust a sitting President running for another term. I couldn't believe it when Obama won in 2012, especially since Scott Brown had just been elected in Massachusetts of all places running on an anti-Obamacare platform.
The reason Obama was re-elected is that the RNC cheated Ron Paul out of competing for the nomination. This resulted in a lot of libertarian-leaning Republicans deciding to stay home.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon May 18, 2020 7:00 pm

technovelist wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:37 pm

I predict that Biden won't be the nominee. The most likely way they will fix it is to pick someone else at the convention.
Anyone want to guess who it's going to be? Hint: initials are HRC.
This has been mentioned before on this board. I just don't see how HRC can be the nominee when she didn't participate in the primaries. Same for Cuomo. Please explain how this can be rationalized without, say, Bernie or Warren supporters' heads exploding.