Football!!!

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Baseball?

Post by bedraggled »

I understand the Bears were a powerhouse way back when.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Baseball?

Post by bedraggled »

Can the moderators transfer the last post to a Football!!" thread?

Thanks.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Football!!!

Post by bedraggled »

Can anyone explain why Fran Tarkenton is not in the Football Hall of Fame?

They gave his number, 10, to Eli Manning. An insult? Not sure.

Fran The Man also did one of the best SNL hosting jobs, back in the 70s. His shaving cream commercials were excellent, too.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Football!!!

Post by pp4me »

bedraggled wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:11 pm Can anyone explain why Fran Tarkenton is not in the Football Hall of Fame?
Nobody will be able to explain that because Fran Tarkenton IS in the Hall of Fame.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

O0 Excellent first post.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Yeah, lame-o post and oversight. Maybe I should switch from "bedraggled" to "Confused & Forgetful." Too long?

Anyway, then, explain why the Giants gave his number "10" to Eli Manning, please.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I think retiring numbers is nonsense.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

If this conversation were on reddit, the topic title could have been simply "ELI 10". Get it? O0
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me »

bedraggled wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:11 pm Yeah, lame-o post and oversight. Maybe I should switch from "bedraggled" to "Confused & Forgetful." Too long?

Anyway, then, explain why the Giants gave his number "10" to Eli Manning, please.
I had actually forgotten that Tarkenton played for the Giants. I've always remembered him as a Minnesota Viking.

Even though he IS in the hall of fame I agree that he's an under-rated quarterback. Kind of like Drew Brees nowadays, though Russell Wilson may be a better comparison. He was a one-man highlight reel in his day with his legendary "scrambles".
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Right. Remember back a few years, when every Steelers game the announcers would fawn over Leveon Bell's running style? "Look at how he pauses in the hole, such a unique runner!" Every time I would seethe a little, because he obviously has the time to pause because the Steelers' superb offensive line was just blowing guys out of the way, allowing minimal penetration. Or with Brady, "look at how patient he is, working his way through his progression." Not exactly difficult when you're under no pressure. The guy was nearly untouched back in the day when he had his great O-line around him.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Referring to Pug's comment about receivers who can actually catch the ball, Dick Young, sports columnist for New York Daily news, wrote the following 30 to 40 years ago:

Regarding the complaints of Giants fans having Pepsi, etc., dumped on them by unruly fans above, Young said the dumpers are not unruly fans, but Giants receivers. The TE, WRs and FL go to the concession stand while the defense is on the field but they simply couldn't hold onto their beverages. Ergo, great quantities of the the stuff would pour down from above. Those Giants fan had their answer. [Pre- Eli Manning, Phil Simms and Lawrence Taylor]

A memory from long ago.

Currently, Phil Mushnick, New York Post sports columnist, is a fun read. He focuses on sports media and broadcasting. He may wander at times but always good to check in.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

bedraggled wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:44 am Referring to Pug's comment about receivers who can actually catch the ball, Dick Young, sports columnist for New York Daily news, wrote the following 30 to 40 years ago:

Regarding the complaints of Giants fans having Pepsi, etc., dumped on them by unruly fans above, Young said the dumpers are not unruly fans, but Giants receivers. The TE, WRs and FL go to the concession stand while the defense is on the field but they simply couldn't hold onto their beverages. Ergo, great quantities of the the stuff would pour down from above. Those Giants fan had their answer. [Pre- Eli Manning, Phil Simms and Lawrence Taylor]

A memory from long ago.

Currently, Phil Mushnick, New York Post sports columnist, is a fun read. He focuses on sports media and broadcasting. He may wander at times but always good to check in.
Not a fan of Mushnick. Critical of everything. Nothing is good enough for him. Have not read him for a long time when I used to read him regularly. Don't miss reading him. Until you mentioned him here I'd not even thought about him.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled »

Vinny,

Curious that we have opposing thoughts on Mushnick. I find him to be a breath of fresh air, especially when he blasts the Yankee announcers.

I would spend billions to buy the team merely to bring in new announcers. Although, Ken Singleton can stay forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

bedraggled wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:14 pm Vinny,

Curious that we have opposing thoughts on Mushnick. I find him to be a breath of fresh air, especially when he blasts the Yankee announcers.

I would spend billions to buy the team merely to bring in new announcers. Although, Ken Singleton can stay forever.
The only Yankees announcer I wish would go away would be is Michael Kay. I'm not that impressed with the new one, Ryan Ruocoo.

John and Suzy are the best pair of announcers anywhere! When I'm outside and listening to the game I have both the TV and radio broadcasts coming through my wireless headphones. I always have the broadcast at a higher volume than the TV broadcast.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
CT-Scott
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CT-Scott »

For anyone who hasn't watched "Project 11" on ESPN, please do so and post back with your thoughts. Full disclosure: I'm an Alex Smith fanboi...started following him with the 49ers in 2011...then followed him to the Chiefs...then to the Redskins.