Moderator: Global Moderator

doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Xanax please

Post by doodle » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:44 am

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
Why should the people and taxpayers of America be bailing out poorly run states (like Illinois, as example) and cities, in all cases Democrat run and managed, when most of the other states are not looking for bailout help? I am open to discussing anything, but just asking?

7:41 AM - Apr 27, 2020

Just hit me with a tranquilizer...two trillion for Wall Street and we're going to start liquidating city health departments. God almighty I just can't anymore
Last edited by doodle on Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Xanax please

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:52 am

Yea, I saw some commentors talking about how poorly managed states and the like are going to try to grab some of the bailout too. This is really the Chinese Curse diplopia: we definitely live in interesting times.
There's this very disturbing set of studies where about half the articles printed in Science and Nature magazines, the two leading publications, involved experiments that could not be repeated by anybody.
- Peter Thiel
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:00 am

Par for the course. We should expect it from him. The crazy uncle who says crazy stuff, but just so happens to be president.

How about the federal government, whether democrats or republicans, running debt to over 20T? Huh, Mr. Trump?

At this point it seems we can print money with no repercussions. We should 100% bail out every state and start over. Would be an interesting experiment.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:24 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:00 am
Par for the course. We should expect it from him. The crazy uncle who says crazy stuff, but just so happens to be president.

How about the federal government, whether democrats or republicans, running debt to over 20T? Huh, Mr. Trump?

At this point it seems we can print money with no repercussions. We should 100% bail out every state and start over. Would be an interesting experiment.
I would consider being in favor of bailing out states as long as strict reforms are required, particularly in regard to public pensions and public unions. And I don't mean reforms that can be fudged, like IL's laughable 'balanced budget'. Otherwise, I agree with McConnell: Bankruptcy.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:31 am

Really manly for a President of the United States to be ginning people up for a destruction of the United States, rather than seeking dialog and solutions on how to manage States through the crisis. Just let everything fall over and break. Genius.

русский бот
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:49 am

Cortopassi wrote:

The federal government is a currency issuer; it has access to the "magic" of the printing press. The state governments are currency users. Currency users actually do need balanced budgets.

Many states have spent profligately. They have made promises they cannot possibly keep (like guaranteed 7% returns on bloated pension funds for employees). Bailing them out would be a mistake of the highest order. Now instead of one entity with unconstrained spending, we'd have fifty-one.

The states that have over-promised DO need to declare bankruptcy.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:32 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:49 am
Cortopassi wrote:

The federal government is a currency issuer; it has access to the "magic" of the printing press. The state governments are currency users. Currency users actually do need balanced budgets.

Many states have spent profligately. They have made promises they cannot possibly keep (like guaranteed 7% returns on bloated pension funds for employees). Bailing them out would be a mistake of the highest order. Now instead of one entity with unconstrained spending, we'd have fifty-one.

Guess that logic doesn't apply to corporations that have taken on huge loads of debt to buyback shares and drive up share prices for managements enrichment.

I don't give two shits which side you take, just have some logical consistency
Last edited by doodle on Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:44 pm

doodle wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:32 pm
Xan wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:

Guess that logic doesn't apply to corporations that have taken on huge loads of debt to buyback shares and drive up share prices for managements enrichment.

Neither Xan nor I ever said we were in favor of bailing out corporations. So what inconsistency are you referring to?
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:11 pm

That of the "leader" you defend
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:13 pm

doodle wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:11 pm
That of the "leader" you defend
I can't speak for Xan, but I don't agree with everything Trump says or does. For the record, I think bailing out big corporations is a mistake, just like it was when Obama did it in 2008/2009.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:53 pm

doodle wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:32 pm
Xan wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:

Ok let me say this. Corporation and State Bailout are 2 separate thing IMO.

Corporate Bailout in most cases are consisting of Loans to the Indebted Corp world.
With plenty Corp Debt the Banks/Bond Holders are on the hook already.
So is it really a Corporate Bailout or just Bailout for the Banks/Bond/stock Holders that will take the loss if/when the Corporation go down?

Also
State Bailout..How do you Bailout a State,what does the state put up for Collateral? So who gets the assets in case of a default?
Or should the FED or maybe the U.S. citizens (government) give the states what they need?

Now I do propose the FED bailout of Social Security, and replace the worthless Bonds with U.S. Treasury Bonds.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:28 pm

The state is shouldering a public burden not enriching a private few. If anything let the corporations stock and bond holders take the hit and funnel trillions in monetary resources into those that are actually applying funds towards fighting pandemic. Can't believe some work so hard to defend the behaviors of those people raping this country's money supply for private gain.