Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Let America Be America Again

Post by doodle »

Deleted
Last edited by doodle on Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone. - Blaise Pascal
EM2

Re: Let America Be America Again

Post by EM2 »

That's so powerful, Doodle. Thank you for posting it.  How often shreds of those observations and ideas pass through our minds reading the war and financial news or looking at our kids and wondering how they will fare out there. (To me, the PP now seems like a beacon of hope for the individual at least.)
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

The PP's hope for individuals, to me, highlights the lack thereof for our society as a whole.  There are some things I like about who we are today as a society, but I think the threats we face are greater, both because of past and present mistakes.

It will definitely be an interesting time to be an American over the next 30 years.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

I think the current NBA Finals are a nice demonstration of America's past and America's future:

America's past is represented by the Dallas Mavericks, a gritty and determined team whose members believe in each other and is made up, in part, of ambitious immigrants.  They approach their work with determination and humility and don't celebrate until the work is done.  Heart is their defining characteristic.

America's future is represented by the Miami Heat, a whiny and fragile team made up of flashy individuals who don't like it when things get too hard.  They approach their work with a sense of entitlement and arrogance and are quick to blame the referees when things don't go their way.  Ego is their defining characteristic.

(Disclosure: I am a Mavericks fan.)
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

And I hope that what was past will become present and future again, MT.

Go Mavs!