What Does Life Look Like For You Now?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

What Does Life Look Like For You Now?

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:38 am

I'm interested in hearing how peoples' days-to-day to lives are looking right now. How does it differ from pre-coronial times? (Thanks, dualstow haha.) What are your gripes? And what things have improved for you? I'm sure there are lots of little insights and epiphanies people have experienced since this whole thing started.

A snapshot of life for me so far.

My body has settled into a strange biphasic sleep schedule. 3 to 4 hours at night and another 3 to 4 hours in the afternoon are the norm. Beyond that I'm definitely seeing that muscular atrophy is setting in on my body. Those little home workouts have been nice to "keep the blood flowing," but nothing has quite compared to being in the gym with all the equipment and machines. I am betting that gyms will likely be the some of the last places to reopen when all is said and done. Gyms aren't critical services, and since they're facilities where everyone is touching all the same stuff, they're probably some of the biggest vectors for highly infectious diseases.

70% of my hours outside of eating, bathroom, etc. have been spent doing homework for my computer science program or doing fun little coding things. The lack of stable routine has made consistent concentration harder though. My hair has grown super long now, and I'm starting to run out of some basic toiletries. The only person outside of family that I've been seeing is that girl down the street, and even that hasn't been that great as you know. The lack of actual date things to do has put a slight damper on the romance too.

Overall, the "novelty" of this lockdown has kind of worn off, and I think I'm ready to return to normal life. Like everyone here, I have goals and things I want to accomplish in life. Having everything in the country shutdown is antithetical to accomplishing just about anything. I do consider myself lucky that my newly found passion and soon-to-be vocation of computer science can be done largely from home.

One thing I am thankful for is how this pandemic has put it things in stark perspective regarding whose jobs are truly essential to our society. Man, I love markets as much at the next guy, but markets can create massive distortions. The people making 14 bucks an hour working in the distribution chain for food and supplies are truly critical. Gal Gadot's contribution to other peoples' plight has been to sing Imagine with a bunch of other rich and beautiful celebrities.

Final, somewhat related note: it's also amazing how thin the veneer of civility and prudence is in our society. Between the hoarding, misinformation, and self-contradictory protests, it seems clear that normal society is breaking down more and more as the weeks pass.
25% KILO.B | 60% VCIP | 15% VVL/VMO/VVO/VLQ | 90 Days of Expenses Bank Cash | 5% of Net Worth Physical Gold & Silver Bullion
europeanwizard

Re: What Does Life Look Like For You Now?

Post by europeanwizard » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:53 am

I live in one of the European countries that doesn't have a strict quarantine, but has instated a mild lockdown.

So weirdly enough, my life hasn't been all that different. I'm a freelancer who was already working out of my own office for half of the week. The other half of the week, I'd occupy a desk at a client. This client still needs my services, so I simply work full-time out of my office and we do a meeting over Microsoft Teams.

We've got a preschooler but since the partner is in the 'essential', the kid still is in school for 50%. Parental duties have shifted a bit, but not dramatically.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:23 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:38 am
One thing I am thankful for is how this pandemic has put it things in stark perspective regarding whose jobs are truly essential to our society. Man, I love markets as much at the next guy, but markets can create massive distortions. The people making 14 bucks an hour working in the distribution chain for food and supplies are truly critical. Gal Gadot's contribution to other peoples' plight has been to sing Imagine with a bunch of other rich and beautiful celebrities.
HaHa, my Pastor has always held the "garbage collectors" to be one of his most valued professions. I can understand why. Picture your home, city, country if there were no garbage collectors, especially if you are quarantined. :o
Vocation - doing what God has given me to do for the sake of the other.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:00 am

Trying hard to stay on same sleep schedule (11p-7a) and get 8 hours if my busy-brain allows it. I spend most of the morning on the internet. Thankfully, this forum has been more active. Also email, RSS blogs and occasionally some Reddit. I didn't used to eat breakfast bc I was playing pickleball most mornings and didn't like to have food weigh me down. But without the distraction, I am hungry by 8a when I feed the dogs, so I have a bowl of whole grain cereal with fruit & nuts and Greek yogurt.

At 11a my workout starts. Stretching, bowflex/dumbells, cardio. No loss of muscle mass (that sux Smithy) as it's basically the same alternating workout I have been doing 7 days/week for 40 years. Lunch at 12:30. If the weather is nice, the afternoon is outdoor activity: walking the dogs about 1.25 miles and a bike ride or something. If the weather is lousy, it's a mix of Netflix, guitar and more internet depending on my mood. Occasionally I will do some light cleaning (damn I miss my service) or laundry or chores. Dinner is occasionally preceded by cocktail hour, but I would be a disappointment to Kriegs. Evening is more Netflix. About 3x/week there is a 40 min Zoom meeting with various groups of friends or family.

I don't miss work, but I do miss not bleeding money at work. As stated elsewhere, I am not sure if or when I will ever personally return to practice. But I will continue to run it regardless. What I do miss is pickleball and socializing, and being able to have my driving destination be anywhere other than the grocery store or the vet. Ugh.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:23 am

Life is strangely the same, except for:

--My daughters being home all the time
--Not being able to get samples at Costco
--The weird feeling that everything is going to go to shit
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:30 am

My life is much the same, except for: Not eating out and not visiting with friends and family. I'm not going to the grocery store much (esp. Costco), or hardware/home supply stores, or church. I'm getting about 2 weeks per gallon on my car (only a slight exaggeration). Amazon, my old friend is much more utilized now, and Costco delivery is new my friend.
Vocation - doing what God has given me to do for the sake of the other.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:35 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:38 am
pre-coronial times? (Thanks, dualstow haha.)

I borrowed it from kriegsspiel. He said babies boomed during this era will be called Coronials. O0

Wife and I are good at staying at home, but I'm definitely missing meals out with friends. And sunlight. Sweet, sweet sunlight.
No visits from mother-in-law. I'm neutral on that. She's a nice woman and likes me.

I'm kind of enjoying wearing my shemagh, another idea from kriegs.
RIP Charlie Daniels
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:42 am

dualstow wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:35 am
He said babies boomed during this era will be called Coronials.
Any baby boom from this will consist exclusively of first children.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:48 am

ha!
RIP Charlie Daniels
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:00 am

dualstow wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:35 am

Wife and I are good at staying at home, but I'm definitely missing meals out with friends. And sunlight. Sweet, sweet sunlight.

Is this saying you are unable to get sunlight at home?

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:39 am

Actually we get a fair amount thanks to skylights. But we don't have a yard to speak of.
RIP Charlie Daniels
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:52 am

dualstow wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:39 am
Actually we get a fair amount thanks to skylights. But we don't have a yard to speak of.
Then you are quite fortunate to have the skylights. I would love to have them but I've too oftentimes heard that they can lead to roof leaks?

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."