The cars we love/hate & the cars we may buy.

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The cars we love/hate & the cars we may buy.

Post by bedraggled » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:28 pm

Vinny,

The insurance really is $1,000. High population density and really bad Florida drivers. These Florida drivers can manufacture a head-on collision on an empty interstate.

Also, I pay "uninsured driver" fee to deal with those who don't think buying insurance necessary. One would think New York City would have that but apparently not. (We do miss NYC). We were paying $800 in NYC in 2016.

My MPG which was 37-40, settled in at 31-32 in FL. I found that if I don't drive 5 miles per hour fasted here, a semi might run over me. Also, since I use 14 inch wheels for a car set for 15 inch wheels, I'm going slower than indicated. Add 30 years of wear and tear on Tranny and engine and the car seems slower still. So... time to step on the gas a little more and watch MPG decline.

I envy my neighbor with the new Tesla S. When I bicycle by he reports 4 new updates sent to his car by the company. I may need to get a smart phone if we buy a Tesla in 4 years.

With our $2 keys and glass headlights, though, anyone think I should keep the Accord for 40 years?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:52 pm

In case it makes you feel better about your "uninsured driver" fee: for a while I didn't have that coverage, because I figured everybody had insurance. Well it turns out it's poorly named: it should be "uninsured OR UNKNOWN" driver insurance. Somebody sideswiped my parked car and I never had any idea who it was. Turned out the "uninsured driver" coverage would have taken care of it. :-(
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:15 pm

Xan wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:52 pm
In case it makes you feel better about your "uninsured driver" fee: for a while I didn't have that coverage, because I figured everybody had insurance. Well it turns out it's poorly named: it should be "uninsured OR UNKNOWN" driver insurance. Somebody sideswiped my parked car and I never had any idea who it was. Turned out the "uninsured driver" coverage would have taken care of it. :-(
You mean it wasn't covered under your policy at all without the uninsured motorist provision?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:32 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:15 pm
Xan wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:52 pm
You mean it wasn't covered under your policy at all without the uninsured motorist provision?
It was covered, but I had to pay the deductible. If the other driver had taken responsibility, he (or his insurance) would have paid it, so that's the part the uninsured coverage would have taken care of.

I'm not sure how it affected my premiums: was this considered "my fault" whereas otherwise it wouldn't have been? Not sure.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:18 pm

Xan,

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe I know not of what I speak. I apologize if I am ignorant.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:19 pm

bedraggled wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:18 pm
Xan,

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe I know not of what I speak. I apologize if I am ignorant.
Not saying that at all! I'm just saying you're getting a bit more for your "uninsured" premium than you thought.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:20 pm

And now I feel better.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:48 pm

bedraggled wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:28 pm
Vinny,

The insurance really is $1,000. High population density and really bad Florida drivers. These Florida drivers can manufacture a head-on collision on an empty interstate.

Also, I pay "uninsured driver" fee to deal with those who don't think buying insurance necessary. One would think New York City would have that but apparently not. (We do miss NYC). We were paying $800 in NYC in 2016.

My MPG which was 37-40, settled in at 31-32 in FL. I found that if I don't drive 5 miles per hour fasted here, a semi might run over me. Also, since I use 14 inch wheels for a car set for 15 inch wheels, I'm going slower than indicated. Add 30 years of wear and tear on Tranny and engine and the car seems slower still. So... time to step on the gas a little more and watch MPG decline.

I envy my neighbor with the new Tesla S. When I bicycle by he reports 4 new updates sent to his car by the company. I may need to get a smart phone if we buy a Tesla in 4 years.

With our $2 keys and glass headlights, though, anyone think I should keep the Accord for 40 years?
Car insurance is mandated in Massachusetts since at least the early 1970s. And, there are certain coverages that are required with certain minimums.

I know that I also have "uninsured driver" coverage.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:49 pm

Vinny,

Correction: my car insurance is $778 annually. I checked the statement today.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:59 pm

South Dakota, liability only, $170/six months.
It was about $20 cheaper when I had driver only insurance/no car.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:31 pm

bedraggled wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:49 pm
Vinny,

Correction: my car insurance is $778 annually. I checked the statement today.
My renewal was actually $354 for a May renewal. Subsequently they've give me $18 and $25 refunds.

For Umbrella policy purposes for my vehicle I need to maintain the following:

$300,000 combined single limit or $250,000 / $500,000 bodily injury and $100,000 property damage.

Of course the $159 Umbrella policy extends those liability limits.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:20 am

Geez.....I looked into auto insurance and it would be above $2K/year here. That is giving me pause.

Another wild idea: I could "move" to a less costly area e.g. near family in New England, but keep my job & city apartment. Between remote work and vacation time, I could easily total up the 6+ months per year in the less costly place required to avoid New York's tax investigators - especially if I were careful to do my grocery shopping there by credit card on the way down to the city.

I would give up the annual coop tax rebate but in return would no longer pay NYC income taxes, plus I could enjoy the lower costs of everything from car insurance to groceries.

This is a great strategy that I suspect a lot of people are going to be testing out...the main question is, if you still have an NYC job are they going to let you get away with living out of the metro area? Technically that's no different from commuting from NJ or CT suburbs, but if a lot of people start doing this because of their newfound location freedom I can't imagine NY wouldn't start pushing back somehow. The other issue is that my coop requires that the apt be your primary residence when you buy it - but yet again, who knows what's actually going to happen and whether they would try to enforce this.