Harry Browne, Computer Buff

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Harry Browne, Computer Buff

Post by dualstow »

I’m just putting stuff here as I find it.
(craigr) • Harry Browne was quite a computer buff. In the 1970s he was playing around with models of the portfolio idea and maybe even paid money to do some in-depth computer analysis of historical market data to prove/disprove the ideas they were developing. I asked John one time if they still had the original analysis data they had used, but he didn't.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6877&p=113974
• (in HB Reader’s thead, My Correspondence with Harry Browne)
HB Reader wrote: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:31 pm
Libertarian666 wrote: I'm not sure I still have any of my correspondence with HB, but I may still have the newsletter issue where he mentioned the PP calculation software that I wrote for the TRS-80. This was before spreadsheets...
Yeah, I remember that newsletter issue and the software.  Was that was in late 1982 or early 1983?  I looked into buying the software, but didn't for some reason.  If I recall correctly, he mentioned two vendors (depending on your type of computer) -- one in the US and one in Switzerland.  I remember calling and talking to the US vendor.  I think he was in Ohio.

I have the HB newsletters from 1980 to 1995 stuck away somewhere in my attic.  One of these days I'll have to exhume them. 
(Libertarian666) I was the vendor in the US, if it was TRS-80 software; the other was for the Apple IIe, I believe, although I could be wrong about that.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6183&p=102083&hilit ... er#p101988
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
europeanwizard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Harry Browne, Computer Buff

Post by europeanwizard »

Amazing. Ahead of their time.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

I wonder what kind of gaming rig Harry Browne would build if he were still alive today. ;D
DITM
www.allterraininvesting.com
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Smith1776 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:27 am I wonder what kind of gaming rig Harry Browne would build if he were still alive today. ;D
The ultimate gaming rig: A 460 Weatherby magnum. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Harry Browne strikes me as an Intel + Nvidia kind of man. SLI GPUs and water cooling... :D
DITM
www.allterraininvesting.com