The Fed Is Killing the Two Main Functions of Wall Street: Price Discovery and Prudent Capital Allocation

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Fed Is Killing the Two Main Functions of Wall Street: Price Discovery and Prudent Capital Allocation

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Related, and funny:
He messaged me asking me if I knew anything about Doordash, and oh boy, did I get Softbank-triggered. I had just read about their $400 million Series F and it was among the WeWorkian class of companies that, for me, represented everything wrong about startup evolution through the 2010s. Raise a ton of money, lose a ton of money, and just obliterate the basic economics of an industry.

Doordash was causing him real problems. The most common was, Doordash delivery drivers didn't have the proper bags for pizza so it inevitably would arrive cold. It led to his employees wasting time responding to complaints and even some bad Yelp reviews.

But he brought up another problem - the prices were off. He was frustrated that customers were seeing incorrectly low prices. A pizza that he charged $24 for was listed as $16 by Doordash.
. . .
That’s the thing about how industries have evolved over the past decade. I know I ascribe ZIRP as the cause of all ills in the world, but this sometimes feels like the greatest ZIRP story ever told.
link
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.