Moderator: Global Moderator

tomfoolery
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Help Find Pro-Gun, Low Property Tax Regi

Post by tomfoolery » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:52 pm

sophie wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:13 pm
I think he means low SES getting generous welfare entitlements that the higher SES population must pay for. As Harry Browne pointed out, a low SES population living within its means can be a net contribution to society.
When I say low SES, that’s my politically correct way to say poor people. Statistically, poor people are more likely to smoke cigarettes, wafting over my backyard fence, more likely to set off fireworks at midnight, have drive by shootings for gangs and drug dealing, burglarize cars and homes, litter, leave old cars up on bricks in their front lawn, blast loud music from their cars, have barking dogs all day and night and a host of other behaviors I want no part of.

Yes all of those things can happen in upper middle class neighborhoods. But I can also die while driving a car. I still wear a seatbelt to reduce some of the risk. I want to reduce the risk of living with the problems above by putting myself as far away from poor people as possible.

It’s not the lack of money that makes them act this way. So I’m not judging people by wealth level, I’m judging by action.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:56 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:22 pm
vnatale wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:19 pm
sophie wrote:
I think he means low SES getting generous welfare entitlements that the higher SES population must pay for. As Harry Browne pointed out, a low SES population living within its means can be a net contribution to society.

I'd say the city & state I live in is ruled out. Try New Hampshire? I wouldn't mind ending up there myself. I know people who have retired there, living in a house on a lake, and they love it. Much more comfortable in the summer than the sticky heat farther south, too. If you don't mind cold snowy winters of course.
New Hampshire. 1/2 hour from me. "Live Free or Die"

No sales taxes but high, high property taxes from what I've been told. Gun owners loved to live there. Where I am in Massachusetts is cold enough for me without going north for more cold / less heat.

Vinny
Looks like the facts bear out what I just wrote above:

http://www.tax-rates.org/new_hampshire/property-tax

"The median property tax in New Hampshire is $4,636.00 per year for a home worth the median value of $249,700.00. Counties in New Hampshire collect an average of 1.86% of a property's assesed fair market value as property tax per year.
New Hampshire has one of the highest average property tax rates in the country, with only two states levying higher property taxes.
New Hampshire's median income is $73,159 per year, so the median yearly property tax paid by New Hampshire residents amounts to approximately % of their yearly income. New Hampshire is ranked 2nd of the 50 states for property taxes as a percentage of median income.
The exact property tax levied depends on the county in New Hampshire the property is located in. Rockingham County collects the highest property tax in New Hampshire, levying an average of $5,344.00 (1.74% of median home value) yearly in property taxes, while Carroll County has the lowest property tax in the state, collecting an average tax of $2,582.00 (1.07% of median home value) per year."

Vinny
HAHAHAHA, don't make me laugh. My property taxes were close to $12,000 last year.
tomfoolery
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by tomfoolery » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:58 pm

Tucson doesn’t interest me because it’s very liberal. If I had to use a gun I’m self defense, it would be painful for me there. Also it’s not a big airport. My goal is near a big airport that won’t require layovers to most places.

Las Vegas
Salt Lake City
Indianapolis
Denver
Portland

Those are the ones that catch my eye. Ideally looking at 30 to 45 minute max drive to the airport. With nice 1400 sq foot houses available for under $350k and $2k property taxes. For each $1k increase in property tax I need to shave $30k off the house price because I need $30k invested to perpetually pay the extra $1k tax each year.

Portland is anti gun. But the areas outside of it are pro-gun and that’s where I’d be living. Unfortunately the costs there are too high currently. Same for Denver.

SLC sounds interesting but I lack experience to know which part of town might be nice but also in my price range since Mormons tend to be financially well off and I suspect I’d be priced out of their upper middle class communities.
tomfoolery
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by tomfoolery » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:02 pm

pugchief wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:53 am
It's going to be hard to avoid low SES unless you move to a wealthier area. Which doesn't mesh with your FIRE / ERE mantra.
I agree but if the housing market drops, I can swing it. For example, Scottsdale is 97% white and fairly high SES. I’m not a white supremacist but the behaviors I’m looking to avoid are largely non-existent in Scottsdale. There won’t be people sitting in cars idling at 2am blasting music. As I’ve experienced living in diverse urban communities. Scottsdale had $300k homes around 2017 when I started looking with $1500 taxes but now they are in the $500k to $600k range just 3 years later.

If we get a 20% to 30% housing market drop I could afford this place. SLC seems similarly priced and similarly lack of diverse. I don’t want diversity where I live. The Mormons are likely not to be obnoxious neighbors.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:05 pm

OMG, you think Tucson is too liberal, but Portland is worth considering?

Portland is the biggest liberal looney bin in the entire US. Probably even worse that SF. You'd have to move so far into the boonies, it would disqualify the area for being too far from the nearest Home Depot.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:06 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:02 pm
pugchief wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:53 am
It's going to be hard to avoid low SES unless you move to a wealthier area. Which doesn't mesh with your FIRE / ERE mantra.
I agree but if the housing market drops, I can swing it. For example, Scottsdale is 97% white and fairly high SES. I’m not a white supremacist but the behaviors I’m looking to avoid are largely non-existent in Scottsdale. There won’t be people sitting in cars idling at 2am blasting music. As I’ve experienced living in diverse urban communities. Scottsdale had $300k homes around 2017 when I started looking with $1500 taxes but now they are in the $500k to $600k range just 3 years later.

If we get a 20% to 30% housing market drop I could afford this place. SLC seems similarly priced and similarly lack of diverse. I don’t want diversity where I live. The Mormons are likely not to be obnoxious neighbors.
Suburbs. Distant suburbs. Of any city you want. I live 30 miles from downtown Chicago and the behavior of the neighbors is beyond reproach.
tomfoolery
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by tomfoolery » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:10 pm

pugchief wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:05 pm
OMG, you think Tucson is too liberal, but Portland is worth considering?

Portland is the biggest liberal looney bin in the entire US. Probably even worse that SF. You'd have to move so far into the boonies, it would disqualify the area for being too far from the nearest Home Depot.
Haha I know Portland is looney. I’m not familiar enough with the rest of the state but having spent time in Wisconsin, I can say that Madison and Milwaukee are liberal centers and if you drive 30 minutes away you’re in a pro gun Trump supporting conservative area.

NJ similarly weird. North and central NJ very liberal, south is like another state.

So I was hoping I could be within distance of Portland’s airport but escape their craziness.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:28 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:58 pm

Las Vegas
Salt Lake City
Indianapolis
Denver
Portland

Those are the ones that catch my eye.
Vegas is right up there. I will frequently hole up in vegas for a month or more when I just need to lay low and work on something. Extremely well connected to the rest of the USA with cheap flights. For international, you can hop over to LAX. The weather is great all year round and as long as you stay out of North Las Vegas you can pretty much pick the kind of neighborhood you want. Property was well priced last I checked (but it has been a few years). And you can't do much better than Nevada (and especially Vegas) for individual rights. The completely corrupt politicians are dismal and pandering - but the state constitution, corporate and business laws are fairly libertarian. Gambling subsidizes a lot of the taxes - so less than 1% on property taxes and no state income tax.

And it goes without saying, very gun and gold and cash friendly. It's the only town in the USA where no one blinks an eye if you pull a wad of hundreds out of your pocket to pay your bill.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:08 pm

pugchief wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:56 pm
vnatale wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:22 pm
vnatale wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:19 pm
sophie wrote:

I'd say the city & state I live in is ruled out. Try New Hampshire? I wouldn't mind ending up there myself. I know people who have retired there, living in a house on a lake, and they love it. Much more comfortable in the summer than the sticky heat farther south, too. If you don't mind cold snowy winters of course.
New Hampshire. 1/2 hour from me. "Live Free or Die"

No sales taxes but high, high property taxes from what I've been told. Gun owners loved to live there. Where I am in Massachusetts is cold enough for me without going north for more cold / less heat.

Vinny
Looks like the facts bear out what I just wrote above:

http://www.tax-rates.org/new_hampshire/property-tax

"The median property tax in New Hampshire is $4,636.00 per year for a home worth the median value of $249,700.00. Counties in New Hampshire collect an average of 1.86% of a property's assesed fair market value as property tax per year.
New Hampshire has one of the highest average property tax rates in the country, with only two states levying higher property taxes.
New Hampshire's median income is $73,159 per year, so the median yearly property tax paid by New Hampshire residents amounts to approximately % of their yearly income. New Hampshire is ranked 2nd of the 50 states for property taxes as a percentage of median income.
The exact property tax levied depends on the county in New Hampshire the property is located in. Rockingham County collects the highest property tax in New Hampshire, levying an average of $5,344.00 (1.74% of median home value) yearly in property taxes, while Carroll County has the lowest property tax in the state, collecting an average tax of $2,582.00 (1.07% of median home value) per year."

Vinny
HAHAHAHA, don't make me laugh. My property taxes were close to $12,000 last year.
Go to that web site above and put in Illinois and then your county and it will tell you the median income for your county and other information so that you tell us what % the average tax is of median home value.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:11 pm

tomfoolery wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:52 pm
sophie wrote:
When I say low SES, that’s my politically correct way to say poor people. Statistically, poor people are more likely to smoke cigarettes, wafting over my backyard fence, more likely to set off fireworks at midnight, have drive by shootings for gangs and drug dealing, burglarize cars and homes, litter, leave old cars up on bricks in their front lawn, blast loud music from their cars, have barking dogs all day and night and a host of other behaviors I want no part of.

Yes all of those things can happen in upper middle class neighborhoods. But I can also die while driving a car. I still wear a seatbelt to reduce some of the risk. I want to reduce the risk of living with the problems above by putting myself as far away from poor people as possible.

It’s not the lack of money that makes them act this way. So I’m not judging people by wealth level, I’m judging by action.
A lot of it is tied together, isn't it? Have money to pay $10 a day (or more) for a pack of cigarettes but too poor for what some of us would consider to be more essential, higher priorities. Then, of course, all kinds of other health problems come from both the financial investment in cigarettes and actually smoking them!

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:20 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... ity_Survey

I find this list is helpful.

Pick your state from there.
tomfoolery
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by tomfoolery » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:28 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:28 pm
Vegas is right up there. I will frequently hole up in vegas for a month or more when I just need to lay low and work on something. Extremely well connected to the rest of the USA with cheap flights. For international, you can hop over to LAX. The weather is great all year round and as long as you stay out of North Las Vegas you can pretty much pick the kind of neighborhood you want. Property was well priced last I checked (but it has been a few years). And you can't do much better than Nevada (and especially Vegas) for individual rights. The completely corrupt politicians are dismal and pandering - but the state constitution, corporate and business laws are fairly libertarian. Gambling subsidizes a lot of the taxes - so less than 1% on property taxes and no state income tax.

And it goes without saying, very gun and gold and cash friendly. It's the only town in the USA where no one blinks an eye if you pull a wad of hundreds out of your pocket to pay your bill.
Vegas was anti-gun until a few years ago. At least from my standpoint. They had a ridiculous blue card handgun mandatory registration for everything in the Vegas area. If not for those blue cards I’d have bought a house there a decade ago during the Great Recession. And now they repealed that silly law but housing has gone up.