Isn't there an Avatar Thread?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Isn't there an Avatar Thread?

Post by dualstow » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:59 am

Mark Leavy, I love the bandana. Didn't realize it was multiple skulls.

You could be the Punisher's sidekick, or perhaps a supervillain's henchman.
RIP Toots
in NE Syria, a Russian armored vehicle deliberately rammed an American military viehicle, leaving 7 US service members with concussions — the week
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Isn't there an Avatar Thread?

Post by Mark Leavy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:16 am

dualstow wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:59 am
Mark Leavy, I love the bandana. Didn't realize it was multiple skulls.

You could be the Punisher's sidekick, or perhaps a supervillain's henchman.
Thanks dualstow.
I'm more of a "cleaner". When people ask me for help, I tell them that they can fix the problem or I'll fix it for them. I'm quick and effective and no-one ever asks for help twice.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:28 am

Ha! Victor and that film was also my introduction to the term "cleaner." The only scene I remember, though, is when he walks up to some guys with one hand calmly raised
hold it, there guys, everything is fine
{ sound of four successive suppressed shots }
RIP Toots
in NE Syria, a Russian armored vehicle deliberately rammed an American military viehicle, leaving 7 US service members with concussions — the week
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:56 pm

I’m lovin all the avatar changes, guys. I noticed 12 Monkeys was on Showtime (free this month. Thanks, Fios) very recently.
A friend of the family who has various 1-second-or-less parts in various films was supposedly in this, driving his alfa romeo. I’ve never caught it.
RIP Toots
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:02 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:56 pm
I’m lovin all the avatar changes, guys. I noticed 12 Monkeys was on Showtime (free this month. Thanks, Fios) very recently.
A friend of the family who has various 1-second-or-less parts in various films was supposedly in this, driving his alfa romeo. I’ve never caught it.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:19 pm

Sorry if you already mentioned it elsewhere, dualstow, but I have to ask: What’s the story behind your giant sloth avatar?

And Mountaineer, are you a Kubrick fan?
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:48 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:19 pm
I think you could add Tyler :)
He had the red 2001 computer camera avatar for some time

Hal (9000?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARJ8cAGm6JE
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:59 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Sorry if you already mentioned it elsewhere, dualstow, but I have to ask: What’s the story behind your giant sloth avatar?
There's no story to tell. I just like megafauna and dinosaurs.
I spent way too much time trying to find my original ground sloth avatar. Seems to be gone.
RIP Toots
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:57 am

Tortoise wrote:

I am somewhat. My favorites are 2001 and Dr. Strangelove.
Its OK if some people don’t like you, not everyone has good taste.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:19 pm

I've seen a few comments over the past few weeks suggesting that multiple forum members aren't too fond of "vertical avatars" that are noticeably taller than they are wide, because posts by members with such avatars take up a lot more space and make it more annoying for people to scroll down through threads. If that's the case, perhaps a simple fix would be to place a smaller limit on the number of avatar pixels in the vertical direction?

Also, I know this has probably been discussed before, but shouldn't we consider it basic forum etiquette to avoid posts that are 95% quoted text (or 10 levels of nested quotes) and only 5% original text at the bottom? The members here used to be better about this, but in recent months I've seen a lot of posts by several different people that consist of a giant wall of quoted text followed by a one-line pun or other short reply at the bottom. Am I the only one who finds it annoying to have to scroll through page after page of such posts?
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:28 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:19 pm
I've seen a few comments over the past few weeks suggesting that multiple forum members aren't too fond of "vertical avatars" that are noticeably taller than they are wide, because posts by members with such avatars take up a lot more space and make it more annoying for people to scroll down through threads. If that's the case, perhaps a simple fix would be to place a smaller limit on the number of avatar pixels in the vertical direction?

Also, I know this has probably been discussed before, but shouldn't we consider it basic forum etiquette to avoid posts that are 95% quoted text (or 10 levels of nested quotes) and only 5% original text at the bottom? The members here used to be better about this, but in recent months I've seen a lot of posts by several different people that consist of a giant wall of quoted text followed by a one-line pun or other short reply at the bottom. Am I the only one who finds it annoying to have to scroll through page after page of such posts?
Yes, agree. Really f*ing annoying. And I use a full size desktop computer/monitor and mouse. I can only imagine how bad it is on a phone or small tablet.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:44 pm

pugchief wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:28 pm
Yes, agree. Really f*ing annoying. And I use a full size desktop computer/monitor and mouse. I can only imagine how bad it is on a phone or small tablet.
I think quoting only the most recent reply in the thread (like I just did here) gives readers enough context to follow along -- i.e., all 10 levels of nested quotes usually seems like overkill.

And if even the most recent reply is very long, just quoting the most relevant portion of it, or the first and last sentences with "..." in between usually seems sufficient and saves a lot of screen space.