Would you wear a mask?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Would you wear a mask, if available, to the grocery store tomorrow?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:59 pm

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 27
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Would you wear a mask?

Post by Mark Leavy »

Iwoudwearthis.jpg
Iwoudwearthis.jpg (79.18 KiB) Viewed 6287 times
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Cortopassi wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:15 am We just got a few of these letters, with masks, in a box from one of our suppliers. Nice. But they came from China... :o

Hmm.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

I Shrugged wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:31 am My wife says she thinks wearing one would make people think she is sick.
I think we are going to have a change of plans in our household though.
That is exactly the question I was going to ask.

If I wore one of those head warmers that covered by head from top to my neck with only holes for nose, eyes, mouth (but pulled up over my mouth) and was wearing gloves would people think I WAS infected? The actual converse since tomorrow will be the 2 week anniversary of me having been in the presence of ANY human. I believe that I can go AT LEAST another week without having to buy more food.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

stuper1 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:03 pm I saw a guy driving alone wearing a mask a couple days ago. I thought that was a bit strange.
If people take their masks and put them on too many times, at best they're just going through the motions of protection. At worst, they're contaminating their mask and then touching to their face. So, he probably put it on at home and won't remove it until he returns home. Smart.

I would vote yes to this poll and yet I didn't put one on when I went out this morning. First time in a week.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Just saw a doctor on C-Span providing information, answering viewer questions.

Regarding masks he stated......they could help in the reduction...in a perfect world they'd be unlimited...however we do not live in a perfect world of unlimited resources...and that mask you take may mean a health worker who really needs it won't get it.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

dualstow wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:44 pm
stuper1 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:03 pm I saw a guy driving alone wearing a mask a couple days ago. I thought that was a bit strange.
If people take their masks and put them on too many times, at best they're just going through the motions of protection. At worst, they're contaminating their mask and then touching to their face. So, he probably put it on at home and won't remove it until he returns home. Smart.
That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. After you put it on, don't touch it for anything until you get home. That really would be the best thing. Each time you touch it, you basically need to put on a new uncontaminated one, but of course we don't have the supply for that.

I need to drink water every 30 minutes or else I start feeling weird. I'm not made for masks. Thankfully I don't live in a big city.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

i have been wearing a mask off and on at work, we have been asked to carry one with us and slip it down when in tight areas or talking with co workers and customers. I was in the store with it today (not on) and figured if there were sick people or crowds i would do the same there, i suspect this is largely virus prevention theater since touching the mask can contaminate it.. it would at least cut down on airborne droplets sending or receiving even if it isn't real protection. At work the number of surfaces that could cross contaminate the mask are a lot less, touching the mask after a shopping cart is probably a waste if not counter productive... ..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Face masks: have we been asking the wrong question all along?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-heal ... ion-along/
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

With lots of free time now that she is unemployed - and she's super industrious anyway - my wife made a few cloth masks yesterday that we can wear out in public and then just wash with our regular laundry. These were just made from old kerchiefs like Mark Leavy mentioned in one of his posts. Fabric is double thickness and attached with two elastic straps that go around the back of the head. They fit nicely which reduces mask futzing by 52%!

Even if face masks are only somewhat effective, they are still a good idea. There have to be good reasons that health professionals all over the world are clamoring to get them.

It's not too early to think about the long game and how we are all going to be able to go back to work, hopefully sooner rather than later. Face masks are almost certainly going to be one component of a successful overall strategy. My two cents.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

I’ve heard that a good sized thong underwear makes a perfect mask. Maybe Victoria’s Secret could reopen.

(Insert fish smell joke here.)
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

I wore a surgical mask on an errand today. No one fled or attacked.
The first time is the hardest.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

I Shrugged wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:41 pm I wore a surgical mask on an errand today. No one fled or attacked.
The first time is the hardest.
Cool.
Several people wearing gloves at store today also.
face-with-medical-mask_1f637.png
face-with-medical-mask_1f637.png (16.42 KiB) Viewed 5170 times
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:34 pm Image
Going with the euro Jägermeister commercial theme.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

;)
GHE1DD8.jpg
GHE1DD8.jpg (123.01 KiB) Viewed 5127 times
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

shekels wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:29 am ;) GHE1DD8.jpg
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

shekels wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:29 am ;) GHE1DD8.jpg
oh God, please send an Earth-destroying asteroid.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

I voted no to the poll.

If I were coughing or sneezing I would wear one to protect other people. It won't do much to protect you though. Mainly it would reduce the viral load a bit if you got coughed on. But then, I'd say just about 100% of people would contaminate their hands as well as the inside of the mask taking the thing off afterwards, and then what happens next time you wear it? So I regard it as more of a fashion statement, equivalent to a sign that says "stay away from me."

Our blithering idiot mayor, Bill de Blasio, is trying to mandate mask wearing for NYC. Our hospital is vehemently opposed to people wearing surgical or any other medical-grade mask in public - when it's SO needed in the hospitals. It's almost an insult to wear one. A homemade scarf or whatever, sure fine. Also my sister & brother in law (the ER docs) are wearing masks at home to try to protect their kids...although I doubt very much that would accomplish anything if they actually brought the virus home.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

WiseOne wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:51 am I voted no to the poll.
... Mainly it would reduce the viral load a bit if you got coughed on. But then, I'd say just about 100% of people would contaminate their hands as well as the inside of the mask taking the thing off afterwards, and then what happens next time you wear it?
Do you think the mask would be safe to wear after a certain period of time, in the way that mail is considered relatively safe after it sits for a while?
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

dualstow wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:02 am
... Mainly it would reduce the viral load a bit if you got coughed on. But then, I'd say just about 100% of people would contaminate their hands as well as the inside of the mask taking the thing off afterwards, and then what happens next time you wear it?
Do you think the mask would be safe to wear after a certain period of time, in the way that mail is considered relatively safe after it sits for a while?
Probably. How long though....depends on whose study you believe.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

If I were coughing or sneezing I would wear one to protect other people. It won't do much to protect you though. Mainly it would reduce the viral load a bit if you got coughed on. But then, I'd say just about 100% of people would contaminate their hands as well as the inside of the mask taking the thing off afterwards, and then what happens next time you wear it? So I regard it as more of a fashion statement, equivalent to a sign that says "stay away from me."

Our blithering idiot mayor, Bill de Blasio, is trying to mandate mask wearing for NYC. Our hospital is vehemently opposed to people wearing surgical or any other medical-grade mask in public - when it's SO needed in the hospitals. It's almost an insult to wear one. A homemade scarf or whatever, sure fine. Also my sister & brother in law (the ER docs) are wearing masks at home to try to protect their kids...although I doubt very much that would accomplish anything if they actually brought the virus home.
We have several home made masks and the masks get washed when we get home, along with taking a shower.
Also I have notice it has influenced me when touching your nose/mouth while wearing it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT »

I voted Yes - thinking if it helps a little then I would be doing my civic duty - didn't think about the medical need angle - good point

Maybe I'll just wear my ski mask in to stores or out in public - what could go wrong
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

shekels wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:04 am We have several home made masks and the masks get washed when we get home, along with taking a shower.
We will start doing this with our homemade cloth masks very soon. We always come in the basement from the garage and the washing machine is just next to the door. The design on ours is two elastic straps around the back of the head so that they can be taken off without touching the front part.

WiseOne, isn't reducing viral load a good thing? The mask stuff to me just seems to be part of an overall strategy. Why wouldn't we wear them if we can? Admittedly I have no idea how effective these homemade version are but my thoughts are that they can only help. Good mask hygiene is something that we can all learn.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

https://6abc.com/health/pa-residents-to ... 0/6073113/
{ PA gov asks all Pennsylvanians to wear a mask }
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

My county government in California is mandating that all of us wear masks in public starting at midnight tonight.

I wonder if citations for failing to wear a mask will include the police officer handing the offender a free mask to wear? Probably not.

Mandating something that's in a shortage and most people have trouble finding in stores is like something the Three Stooges would have come up with.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

Tortoise wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:10 pm My county government in California is mandating that all of us wear masks in public starting at midnight tonight.

I wonder if citations for failing to wear a mask will include the police officer handing the offender a free mask to wear? Probably not.

Mandating something that's in a shortage and most people have trouble finding in stores is like something the Three Stooges would have come up with.
Sounds like the best Government Money can buy..
Good Luck to you.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯