Would you wear a mask?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Would you wear a mask, if available, to the grocery store tomorrow?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:59 pm

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 27
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Would you wear a mask?

Post by dualstow » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:57 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:16 pm
Yeah, I’ve thought about this. I’m working on hiding the extra straps.
I figured out a solution.
(mathjak, you old dog, you O0 )
Shemagh over the N95. Except, when mine arrives, I think I’ll just wrap it over the mouth and nose and not the top of my head. That’ll still cover both the strap and my (again, ancient, non-donateable) N95 mask.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:30 pm

I don't have an N95, but I do have a couple of surgical masks that my sister sent me. Those are no longer in shortage, so I can wear those with a clean conscience.

New York is under a mandate to wear masks outside now, but there are no civil penalties - yet. I've been skipping it when I go out for exercise, but I wear masks when I go into stores because they are all requiring it now. Except of course for the stores that won't even allow you inside - they let you stand in front of the store and buy what you want from that vantage point. These stores are bravely staying open, keeping the shelves stocked and us fed, and I am more than happy to do whatever they ask.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:52 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:30 pm
I don't have an N95, but I do have a couple of surgical masks that my sister sent me. Those are no longer in shortage, so I can wear those with a clean conscience.

You’re a professional- you should be allowed to wear any mask at any time with a clean conscience, on or off the job. Seriously.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:29 am

Please explain the relationship between wearing a mask and your conscience.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:41 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:29 am
She’s referring specifically to the coveted* N95 masks, reserved for health care workers.

*For mountaineer: covid-ed N95 masks
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:37 am

dualstow wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:41 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:
She’s referring specifically to the coveted* N95 masks, reserved for health care workers.

Thanks Dualstow, I covet your comments. They brighten my day. It’s very rainy and cloudy here today so keep them coming. 8)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:46 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:37 am
dualstow wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:41 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:

Thanks Dualstow, I covet your comments. They brighten my day. It’s very rainy and cloudy here today so keep them coming. 8)
Same weather here in western Massachusetts! You are in Delaware? Anyone have any different weather between our two locations?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:26 pm

shemagh update: I really love this thing. Good call, kriegs. I haven't had a chance to wear it out of the house because, well, I haven't been out of the house. It's been washed and tied many ways.

I'm into the "outlaw wrap" featured here, in #8 (all cued up) because I don't want to cover my hair while I still have it.
https://youtu.be/UHeftATdsk4?t=377

Still, there seems to be a significant advantage to going full ninja in that it's probably easier to keep it on. The outlaw wrap is only shown in the clip for a second, and he doesn't even turn his head to the sides. If I do that- well, I wouldn't want to rob any banks in it. Wrapped around the whole head, it's far easy to fasten.
Must practice.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu May 07, 2020 12:45 pm

The FDA withdrew approval for more than 60 manufacturers in China to export N95-style masks to the U.S. after tests showed many had subpar quality --WSJ tweet

article - https://www.wsj.com/articles/fda-pulls- ... 1588873151
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu May 07, 2020 4:18 pm

At the store (Aldi) recently, there were maybe 25 people in the store. Everyone was wearing a mask. Except for the 80-year-old-looking dude in front of me in line. He even took a little extra time to mack on the checkout girl. What a baller.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu May 07, 2020 4:26 pm

That might have had something to do with it. Wrinkly 80 year old honey badger don't give a fuck.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu May 07, 2020 4:28 pm

Also he stood his ground on the order limit. Even through his faint croak, you could tell he had been a strong man. She eventually conceded that she was reading the screen wrong ;D
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu May 07, 2020 5:00 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:21 pm
I was at Aldi this morning. You can't go in without a mask and they won't let you bring reusable bags into the store. But they have a dedicated employee disinfecting carts and you don't need a quarter to use one. They had lots of chicken, beef and ground turkey (limit 2).
I heard about this. Oddly in NYC, the plastic bag ban is still alive and well. Mayor Bill is super green don't you know. You have to bring reusable bags. And wear a mask. But your bag doesn't have to.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu May 07, 2020 5:09 pm

I throw my reusable bags in the washer. I gather that's unusual.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu May 07, 2020 7:13 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:09 pm
I throw my reusable bags in the washer. I gather that's unusual.
Mine are made of superstrong ballistic nylon, but I’m afraid they’ll disintegrate in the wash. Not very logical- it’s because I did partially disintegrate one of the bags once.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri May 08, 2020 3:27 pm

I let my reusable grocery bags air out if they get a bit wet from condensation, and I wipe them out with a damp cloth and some dish soap if some other kind of liquid gets on them.

Miraculously, I’m still alive.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri May 08, 2020 3:34 pm

Currently I'm wearing a mask whenever I'm going to a place with large amounts of people. As of now that's basically just the grocery store.

I've really done a 180 on the mask thing since this started.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue May 12, 2020 2:14 pm

Every time i go out, I see 50+year-old guys wearing masks...around their neck. It's insulting.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Tue May 12, 2020 2:24 pm

People at my work not wearing masks. I won't go back in person there until they do. I'll quit.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue May 12, 2020 2:48 pm

You work in Texas, right? It seems like you’re kind of getting fed up with Texas, based on your recent posts about racism, “ugly regional accents,” and American individualism.

Maybe you might be happier in a big city in a blue state around people who tend to share your politics and way of speaking?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue May 12, 2020 3:22 pm

Harris County has had under 8,000 cases, out of a population of 4.7 million. The actual odds of one of your maskless coworkers having the disease would seem to be vanishingly small.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue May 12, 2020 3:32 pm

ochotona wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:24 pm
People at my work not wearing masks. I won't go back in person there until they do. I'll quit.
Odds aside, I think ocho is doing the right thing. He's got a recently wed daughter and he should take care of himself. That's my perspective today because my dad is ailing and I'm fearing the worst. (It has nothing to do with coronavirus). So fuck those guys in the office, Ocho. I don't care if the odds are a million to one.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue May 12, 2020 4:28 pm

Perhaps some of you can answer a question for me because I am not a medical professional nor have I been keeping up with the daily news on this virus. So this may come off as silly question. But what is the end game of these precautions? If I am a healthy person with no known risk factors, what is the ultimate purpose of staying locked up in my house and avoiding as much human contact as possible?

Unless you expect the virus to simply disappear (and I have read no experts that do) and unless you plan to spend your entire life in isolation avoiding all concerts, sporting events, restaurants etc., then most likely you are going to come into contact with it at some point, just like you do the regular flu or other viruses. Is it not better to carry on with life and hope that you develop a strong immune system to fight it off when you eventually encounter it? I feel like I a missing something. I do understand being asymptomatic and carrying it to a person with a weaker immune system. But then again, what is the end game? We could theoretically stay quarantined forever afraid of spreading something to someone else.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue May 12, 2020 5:20 pm

As I understand it, those who want everything except certain "essential services" to remain locked down indefinitely are waiting for an effective treatment or vaccine to be developed. That could take 12-18 months, if it's even possible.

Hence the widespread push-back against the lockdowns.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue May 12, 2020 6:21 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:28 pm

If I am a healthy person with no known risk factors, what is the ultimate purpose of staying locked up in my house and avoiding as much human contact as possible?

The short answer is that you may be asymptomatic, appearing to be healthy, and spreading the disease to enough people that you will quite literally kill some of them, whereas if you had stayed home, they would not be dead.

I’m not arguing against the notion that the lockdown is hurting the economy. It really is. But that’s the answer to your question.